Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arizona's Mt. Rushmore

Wildcat Fan, I am azfansincebirth's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Default Arizona's Mt. Rushmore

Dont think I seen this posted anywhere on the site...

Arizona Wildcats Basketball: The Program's Mount Rushmore
    By Javier Morales , Contributor Feb. 13, 2014

If LeBron James believes he will belong among the Mount Rushmore of NBA greats when his career ends, who among the current Arizona Wildcats can say the same thing about their place within the traditionally strong program?
    Fantastic-four combinations have made the news recently with the 50th anniversary last week of Beatlemania invading the United States and James telling NBA TV's Steve Smith this week that he will go down as one of the top four players in the league's history.
    The Arizona Wildcats are ranked No. 2 and their leading scorer, junior guard Nick Johnson, is an All-American candidate and Pac-12 Player of the Year possibility. Johnson could go down as one of the all-time Arizona greats if he completes his four-year career.
    He ranks No. 41 on Arizona's career scoring chart with 1,097 points. If he continues his pace of 12 points a game through next year, Johnson could accumulate more than 1,700 points. That would put him potentially among the top 10 scorers in Arizona history.

Steve Kerr, who belongs as part of Arizona's Mount Rushmore, ranks as the 19th-leading career scorer with 1,445 points.
    Can Johnson become more worthy than Steve Kerr? Damon Stoudamire? Jason Gardner? Much depends on how far Johnson can lead the Arizona Wildcats this season and potentially next. If Arizona goes to the Final Four and wins a title with Johnson, Sean Miller's leader deserves to have his face chiseled into that proverbial mountain signifying Arizona's greats.
    The Wildcats' Mount Rushmore of basketball includes three obvious choices with the last one a very difficult choice.

Tucson product Sean Elliott is the best player to wear an Arizona uniform.
    Here are the no-brainers:

Sean Elliott
    Tucson-bred, Elliott can have a mountain of his own with his popularity in the city. He is Arizona's career scoring leader with 2,555 points, a total that topped Lew Alcindor's Pac-12 (before it was the Pac-12) record at the time. He was a consensus two-time All-American and winner of the John Wooden Award as a senior in 1988-89.
    Elliott was a complete player, ranking No. 9 on Arizona's career rebounding list, No. 3 in three-point shooting and No. 1 in field goals made and free throws made.

Steve Kerr made the most out of his career and led the Wildcats with his three-point shooting and inspirational background.
    Arizona's career leader in three-point shooting percentage (57.3) is the epitome of courage and becoming a success when nobody except Lute Olson gave him a chance when Kerr came out of high school.
    The three-point line revolutionized the game and Kerr was at the forefront of its impact. Kerr overcame the scouting reports of being too slow and not strong enough to handle the rigors of college basketball. He also persevered after the assassination of his father in 1984 by terrorists in Beirut, Lebanon, and a potential career-ending knee injury in 1986.

Bob Elliott (55) was part of Arizona's Elite Eight team in 1976 that lost to UCLA in the regional round.
    "Big Bird", as he was called, is not related to Sean Elliott, but he had a similar impact on the Arizona program before the Wildcats joined the Pac-10 in 1978. He is only one of 107 players in the history of college basketball to achieve at least 2,000 points and 1,000 rebounds in a career. Bob Elliott, who played at Arizona from 1973-77, was the Wildcats' career scoring leader with 2,131 points before Sean Elliott eclipsed the mark. He achieved an Arizona-record 25 rebounds against ASU in 1974.

And now, the hard part. Stoudamire, Gardner, Miles Simon, Mike Bibby, Jason Terry and Richard Jefferson each deserve consideration as the fourth face on the mountain. Out of that group, based on their overall contribution to the program, the competition narrows to Stoudamire and Gardner.

Jason Gardner is the only Arizona player to rank in the top five in career scoring, assists and steals
    My pick: Gardner.

Gardner is not only Arizona's No. 3 career scorer behind the Elliotts (1,984 points from 1999 to 2003) but he also is known as the program's Iron Man. He holds the Arizona record in starts with 135 (missing only one game) and minutes played (4,825). His playing time is remarkably 326 minutes more than the No. 2 player on the list, Sean Elliott.
    Gardner is also the only Wildcat to rank in the top five in career scoring, steals and assists. Gardner, Sean Elliott and Stoudamire are the only three-time All-Pac-12 selections in Arizona history.

For Nick Johnson to crack the Mount Rushmore of Arizona basketball—Bob Elliott, Sean Elliott, Steve Kerr and Jason Gardner—he will have to stay through his senior season, win Pac-12 Player of the Year and take the Wildcats to the Final Four.

That's how difficult it is to get chiseled into that mountain.

Do you all agree ?
    Theres good, and there's ARIZONA good..
    The difference is VAST

surrounded by an army of 2. Which i created...
    Pick Em Rank

Int 30 years of Arizona basketball there have been two absolutely critical players to the growth of the program. Sean Elliott jump started the Lute years and DWill shortened the rebuild. Those two are important faces. I'd argue that Bob Elliott as the third before that and then, you could say Money or Norman for the same reasons.

Now, if that's not a good enough criteria, you could go with accomplishments. Bibby/Simon for the 'ship. Elliott/Kerr for the greatest wildcat team ever. Stoudamires, for any number of reasons. Gardner for the sentimental pick. DWill for one of the best single seasons in Wildcat history etc... This list is hard to pick from and nowhere near complete.

For me.
    Elliott- my favorite player ever.
    Kerr
    Bibby- 'Ship
    Gardner

This was really hard. Damon, to me, is a much better player than Kerr, Bibby or Gardner but 3 first round exits? Sorry.

Pick Em Rank

You raise an excellent point. If not for Elliot and Money, there would likely never have been a Lute Era. they showed that Arizona basketball can be viable (along with Fleming, Norman, Harris, Rappis, etc).

Originally Posted by Palpalife View Post
    Int 30 years of Arizona basketball there have been two absolutely critical players to the growth of the program. Sean Elliott jump started the Lute years and DWill shortened the rebuild. Those two are important faces. I'd argue that Bob Elliott as the third before that and then, you could say Money or Norman for the same reasons.

Now, if that's not a good enough criteria, you could go with accomplishments. Bibby/Simon for the 'ship. Elliott/Kerr for the greatest wildcat team ever. Stoudamires, for any number of reasons. Gardner for the sentimental pick. DWill for one of the best single seasons in Wildcat history etc... This list is hard to pick from and nowhere near complete.

For me.
    Elliott- my favorite player ever.
    Kerr
    Bibby- 'Ship
    Gardner

This was really hard. Damon, to me, is a much better player than Kerr, Bibby or Gardner but 3 first round exits? Sorry.

Pick Em Rank

The original link from BR, guys we gotta links these things, Javier Morales is no enemy that's for sure.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...mount-rushmore
    Twitter: @BeardownBill
    Papadeuce - "Whenever i meet up with kane my wife says to "tell your boyfriend hi for me""
    AztecWildcat - "There are more lawyers than people on this website. Jesus."
    GulfCoastCat - "grapejuice isn't rod?"
    Ryno - "
    ****, I better take a shower before work. I smell like DawgWarrior"
    cjw2222 - "The only thing Rondae can't shoulder shimmy? eeisners sex life"

Pick Em Rank

Gardner is going to get a lot of hate in this thread.

Raleigh Reignmakers CrazyCatzfan's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Mine would be

Elliott- He's a given as every single one of our lists should include him
    Bibby- I don't think we have a chip without him
    Damon- Best PG in PGU history
    Gardner- Consummate Leader. Led us to FF and definitely deserving

honorable mention- Reeves, Kerr, Simon, Terry/

Raleigh Reignmakers Stuul Sampel's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

I think Derrick Williams deserves some love here for resurrecting the program

Pick Em Rank

Lute
    Elliot
    Bibby
    Iggy/Kerr

Most Likely to Succeed The Doodie Master's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Sean Elliot
    Steve Kerr
    Lute Olson
    Mike Bibby

Give it a couple years and we will see some of Miller's guys (Miller included) on that Arizona Mt. Rushmore!
    Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    When I stood next to Stanley I didn't feel like a man.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by The Stairmaster View Post
    Sean Elliot
    Steve Kerr
    Lute Olson
    Mike Bibby

Give it a couple years and we will see some of Miller's guys (Miller included) on that Arizona Mt. Rushmore!
    Raise a banner this year and I'd put Nick in that 4 spot.

Seattle Silver Foxes Applequest's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

http://www.pointguardu.com/content.p...ts-of-All-Time

We need a 5-headed Mt Rushmore:
    Elliott
    Bibby
    Gardner
    Terry
    Stoudamire

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

its so hard, i dont even want to name 4.

id have to go with
    Elliot-of course
    Kerr
    Dwill-because i witnessed his dominance in '11 and it made us a major factor again
    Gardner- he was my idol growing up
    The difference is VAST

Pick Em Rank

Sean Elliot (obvious reasons)
    Miles Simon (97 tourney MVP, my favorite player)
    Mike Bibby (Arizona born and raised no championship without him)
    Lute Olson (gotta have the guy who created Mt. Rushmore on Mt. Rushmore)

My list is from 1988 going forward no disrespect to the Cats before then but I really didn't get to see watch them.

Pick Em Rank

Sean Elliot (Duh?)
    Bibby (I agree that 97 never happens without him)
    Lute (Again, Duh?)
    Simon (The 4th spot is where it got hard. My hart says Gardner, But again 97 never happens without the help of Simon. So I gotta go with Simon.)

Honorable mention to: D-Will, Iggy, Kerr, and Nic Wise. I know Wise doesn't really deserve to be up there but he earned my respect by playing for 4 coaches in 4 years, committing to the cats when he was 15 and not wavering, and not to mention he was the one to keep the sinking ship that was Arizona basketball afloat during the interim years when he could have just as easily transferred out to a better situation.
    Last edited by Phil Cannon; 02-27-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Pick Em Rank

Default Arizona's Mt. Rushmore

I was born in 1982...didn't have the chance to see the Eric Money and Bob Elliott play so this is what I have:

Sean Elliott
    Jason Gardner
    Damon Stoudamire
    Mike Bibby

Lute is the creator of Mount Catsmore, he is obviously the king of the hill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Sean Elliott( tucson born and scoring leader)
    Lute Olson( no need to say why)
    Steeeevvvveeee Keeeerrrrrrrr( shooting ablity and the story of what happen with his dad)
    Mike Bibby( arizona born and 97 title)
    When Miller gets his add a spot for him.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

We have won one NC, so someone from that team deserves it. Not sure how Bibby as a two year player is being considered here, when Simon was clearly the leader of that 97 team AND stayed 4 years. "Simon says championship." They both don't deserve to be on the mountain. So, the nod would have to go to Simon.

Lute Olson is the obvious choice along with Sean Elliott.

As mentioned before the 4th guy is tough. People who mentioned Iggy, have no idea what is going on. Another two year player (like Iggy and Jefferson) that would blow these guys out of the water and is not mentioned enough is Chris Mills.

However, Bob Elliott is the 4th player on that mountain. He was Arizona basketball before Lute. Get some old tape.

Lute Olson
    Sean Elliott
    Miles Simon
    Bob Elliott

Pick Em Rank

Default Re: Arizona's Mt. Rushmore

Not sure why I didn't think of Robert Luther Olson... SMDH

Sent from my SCH-I110 using Tapatalk 2

Pick Em Rank

Default Re: Arizona's Mt. Rushmore

Love this idea though. Might have an entirely different group tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I110 using Tapatalk 2

Seattle Silver Foxes Don't Pay the Choll Toll's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Lute Olson
    Bob Elliot
    Sean Elliot
    Steve Kerr - Many have noted he wasnt our best player, maybe not even top 10, but the way he represents the program and his successes in college and the NBA.

Raleigh Reignmakers CrazyCatzfan's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Not sure why we're including Lute? But if that's allowable I would remove Gardner and replace him with the godfather of az basketball. That's an obvious choice. N since we're breaking rules n whatnot Iggy definitely deserves consideration because he has a gold medal and was robbed by a midget in the dunk contest

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Sean Elliott (Our Best college player)
    Mike Bibby (National Champ & Our highest NBA draft pick)
    Jason Terry (Best Pro career)
    Miles Simon (Our Final 4 MOP)
    Steve Kerr (Our most liked and recognizable player)

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

[QUOTE=HSP;598524]The original link from BR, guys we gotta links these things, Javier Morales is no enemy that's for sure.[QUOTE=HSP;598524]

mental lapse on my part
    The difference is VAST

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I love Gardner but Bibby was in a class by himself.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I saw an Iggy up there, you know who you are. The team was a hot mess when he was a soph and dominated the ball, improved greatly after he left. At least no one said Jefferson - except for MORALES as an honorable mention! WTF.

I love Iggy & RJ - but Iggy was best when Arizona was down & played just 2 years, and RJ was arguably the 4th best player on his own Arizona team (Woods/Wright/Arenas) at his Arizona peak - let alone top 4 all time.

Tiny bit surprised I didn't see a Luke Walton, he was the point forward when Arizona was actually great (unlike 2004 w/ Iggy).

I think MAYBE Sean, Steve (because of the story: dad, knee, the 3pt record, never turned the ball over - and then went on to NBA rings and management), Miles (arguably best player on a champion, 4 year guy), Damon. Lute obviously if a coach allowed instead of probably Damon (since Simon was a champ). Khalid would be ahead of Damon if he wasn't so inconsistent before his dominant senior year. Terry's close too. Nick Johnson will be on it if they win it all, and deservedly so if that's the case.

Huntington Beach Honey Badgers Arizona's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Sean Elliott
    Miles Simon
    Steve Kerr
    Lute Olson
    _A R I Z O N A_

Nastiness is Required! BTFD

Pick Em Rank

Lute
    Bibby
    Elliott
    Kerr
    Simon
    ACE

**** I went over, oh well.
    AIR GORDON

Pick Em Rank

ASSU's Rushmore = Harden, ......

Well, they'd just have a statue... I guess.
    AIR GORDON

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

In no order (Sean Elliot being my favorite of all time):
    Lute Olson
    Jason Gardner
    Damon Stoudamire
    Mike Bibby
    Sean Elliot

If they win it all this year, or even make the Final Four, I would have to throw in NJ in place of Gardner.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Red Flafg

If we are talking players only?

Sean and Bob Elliott
    Miles Simon
    Derek Williams

The list is crazy long and good but these players all did something at their time to either bring Arizona to a peak or bridge the elite status of the program.

Lute is top pick overall.
    Sean will get there soon if we get the NC.

Pick Em Rank

The coaches are Mount Rushmore.

James McKale
    Fred Enke
    Fred Snowden
    Lute Olson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast