N/A

Default Reflecting On Mayes' Career.

Reflecting on his Career
    Courtesy: Arizona Athletics
    Release: 02/27/2014
    More Sharing Services

Courtesy: Arizona Athletics

by Adam Gonzales, UA Communication Services

As the only senior on the basketball team, Jordin Mayes will garner all the attention after the Stanford game on March 2. Hundreds of memories of the past four years will be running through his head as he receives his framed jersey in front of his teammates, coaches, and thousands of Wildcat faithful. He will think about how much he has grown up since coming to Tucson four years ago.

“I’ve enjoyed my time here very much,” Mayes said. “You grow up a lot and experience a lot of things here that you’ve never experienced.”

A moment that sticks out in his head was during his freshman year on the night of February 19th, 2011, the first White Out.

“A game that I will always remember was the first White Out game with Derrick Williams,” Mayes said. “All the fans were in white and it was just so loud. The atmosphere was amazing.”

When asked about his favorite memory, the senior did not hesitate when he said his entire freshman year.

“My best memory is probably my freshman year,” Mayes said. “It was a great season, getting to the Elite Eight and winning the last Pac-10 Championship. Hopefully this season we can exceed that by winning the Pac-12, winning the Pac-12 tournament and getting to the Final Four and the national championship.”

Mayes was a part of Sean Miller’s second recruiting class, so he is one of the few players in the past few years that only played for Coach Miller for all four years.

“We’ve had our ups and downs on and off the court at times,” Mayes said. “He has stayed with me all four years and has always encouraged me and trusted me. It has been a growing experience that I had to get through leading up to my senior year. It was just staying positive and staying focused, and trying to do everything possible I can do.”

From high school to college, they will all tell you that their four years playing on a team goes by so quickly, and that you really have to cherish the time you get with your teammates and coaches.

“It went by pretty fast. As a senior, I’m now one of the oldest guys on the team and it’s a weird transition from being the youngest to the oldest that fast.”

Mayes has been able to experience something that most college basketball players don’t experience, continued success as a team. As a freshman, the team made a deep run into the tournament by ending up in the Elite Eight and losing to the eventual national champion Connecticut. Mayes played a big role in the success of the Wildcats in the NCAA Tournament that year. In the second round against Texas, he scored 16 points on 6-of-7 shooting, including 4-of-4 from three-point range.

“Playing college basketball, you want to play on the biggest stages,” Mayes said. “Doing well in the tournament is every college basketball player’s dream.”

The senior knows that the most important part of the season is still to come, but he already knows what he is going to miss when it is all said and done.

“I’m going to miss being around a great group of guys,” Mayes said. “We all want the same thing of playing at a high level and getting to the Final Four and winning the national championship. That’s the main thing I’m going to miss.”
    Theres good, and there's ARIZONA good..
    The difference is VAST

Pick Em Rank

He also balled against Duke his freshman year in the second half. I think that's what is so tough for many fans about Jordin is that we had such high hopes for him after that first tournament run. I do respect Jordin for the role he has played on the team and sticking it out. He could have transfered or been a cancer in the locker room, but you really haven't heard any of that.

I do wonder if Sean will give him a start on Sunday. Even if it is until the first stopage of time. I thought when Boyle did it at Colorado it was a classy move, but it also kind of backfired according to the upset Colorado fans after the game.

Pick Em Rank

He also balled against Duke his freshman year in the second half. I think that's what is so tough for many fans about Jordin is that we had such high hopes for him after that first tournament run. I do respect Jordin for the role he has played on the team and sticking it out. He could have transfered or been a cancer in the locker room, but you really haven't heard any of that.

I do wonder if Sean will give him a start on Sunday. Even if it is until the first stopage of time. I thought when Boyle did it at Colorado it was a classy move, but it also kind of backfired according to the upset Colorado fans after the game.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Loyalty is a rare thing in college basketball these days, and in sports in general. Jordin has been a part of the Wildcat family for 4 years having played for some good and not as good teams. Maybe he never played as much as he would have liked, but his attitude and respect towards the program and his teammates has never wavered. A high character guy on and off the court who has shown up in some big moments in March for this program. Hopefully heading into his final conference tournament and March Madness, Jordin can share some of his wisdom with the younger players and revert back to the hot shooting "March Mayes" that we all love rooting for. Thanks for the 4 years Jordin. Bear Down.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

With our slow starts all season I wouldn't risk a slow start we may not come back from. He's on a different caliber team now and we can't afford any mistakes, which over the last 4 years is predominantly what he does. If I were him I'd tell CM not to start me for the good of the team. He did what was asked from him and learned the true meaning of Bear Down over the last couple years and I can appreciate that.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Such a class act. Wish I could go to the FURD game to cheer him out.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Bringin97Back View Post
    With our slow starts all season I wouldn't risk a slow start we may not come back from. He's on a different caliber team now and we can't afford any mistakes, which over the last 4 years is predominantly what he does. If I were him I'd tell CM not to start me for the good of the team. He did what was asked from him and learned the true meaning of Bear Down over the last couple years and I can appreciate that.
    I acknowledge the mistakes he's made in games, and also somewhat the "backfire" that happened with Colorado. All that being said, I still think there's room in this day and age for rewarding a good teammate and person, a 4-year senior, and his contributions to a program, albeit diminished. Yes, the pre-game ceremonies will do just that, but what's one symbolic start for a 4-minute stretch going to hurt? I don't think he's absolutely a liability all the time on the court, and college athletics is 90% business, but there's still a place for throwing that aside to honor a guy. Plus, think of what it would do for our energy if he even made a shot or two? I say start him, but certainly wouldn't see it as a snub if he didn't get it. It would be a nice gesture.

Stereotypical Asian Guy AztecWildcat's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Mayes gets the start. It's the right thing to do.
    I blame ESPN, PAC-12 Network, Larry Scott, East Coast Bias, Direct TV, Dish Network, The Honda Center, PAC-12 Refs, and Mark Lyons

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Arizona

We may not have gotten out of the first round of the tournament his freshman year, had he not played so well. Certainly wouldn't have beaten TX. That elite eight run really helped us reboot and get recruiting going forward. He earned his keep.

Wildcat Fan Shallow be thy game's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Mayes is 100% Wildcat holding a sweet sixteen, an elite and...nom sayin.
    "Come on, that was no foul! It may be a violation of all the basic rules of human decency, but it’s not a foul.”
    -Bill Walton

Scandinavia Dirty Pirates Wildcat Dad's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by AztecWildcat View Post
    Mayes gets the start. It's the right thing to do.
    Absolutely. Remember it is "a player's program". Mayes has been loyal, reward him. It sends a message to current and future players. I would rather lose the game than not give Jordin props.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Go Mayes! Hope you have good game!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I really hope Mayes gets the start. I know we have 3 games left and UCLA has pushed Oregon into overtime, but I would really love to see Pitts get 20 minutes, Korchek and Mayes get 10-15 minutes each to finish out the year these last three games. We may finish 2-1 that way, but the added bonus come tourney time would only be an up side. Might not happen and I could be completely wrong. Miller will do what he thinks is best and he certainly knows much more than I do, but I think that would help tremendously.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Play the player who has honored the program so much.
    He rates his chances to lead this team out onto the court in his final home game as a Cat!

Pick Em Rank

Yes! as many have already stated - start Mayes! And end with him in the game as well.

It's the right thing to do. And I think our Coach will do it.
    I always think we're gonna' win

Pick Em Rank

Twitter: @BeardownBill
    Papadeuce - "Whenever i meet up with kane my wife says to "tell your boyfriend hi for me""
    AztecWildcat - "There are more lawyers than people on this website. Jesus."
    GulfCoastCat - "grapejuice isn't rod?"
    Ryno - "
    ****, I better take a shower before work. I smell like DawgWarrior"
    cjw2222 - "The only thing Rondae can't shoulder shimmy? eeisners sex life"

Pick Em Rank

#StartMayes
    Twitter: @BeardownBill
    Papadeuce - "Whenever i meet up with kane my wife says to "tell your boyfriend hi for me""
    AztecWildcat - "There are more lawyers than people on this website. Jesus."
    GulfCoastCat - "grapejuice isn't rod?"
    Ryno - "
    ****, I better take a shower before work. I smell like DawgWarrior"
    cjw2222 - "The only thing Rondae can't shoulder shimmy? eeisners sex life"

Scandinavia Dirty Pirates catsfan23's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Now that we have clinched #1 seed in the PAC 12 tourney, there is really no reason to not start Mayes. He has earned it by sticking through after he could have left for greener pastures many times, as we have had other players do

Pick Em Rank

J Mayes should get the start. I do like the idea of starting with him and finishing with him.

Pick Em Rank

Coach Miller should understand that more than anyone. There is no better way to "honor the process" than to start a guy that did it for four years.

Pick Em Rank

Let Mayes start. It's a classy thing to do.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

It's been occasionally frustrating, but always fun over the last 4 years. I've always been a fan of Mayes for his contributions as a freshman and for sticking around through thick and thin. I hope he starts the game and the net cutting afterwards. Also a little sad to think this is AG's last home game and possibly some other guys.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Start Mayes!!!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

It will be interesting to see what Miller does. Starting Mayes will be making a statement of rewarding Loyality and hard work, and following instructions from practice. Hope he starts. Bear Down

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Wildcat Dad View Post
    I would rather lose the game than not give Jordin props.
    Let's not get crazy here. Start him, sure. But we're there to win.
    "It's all basketball oriented," Aaron Gordon on why he chose Arizona.

Scandinavia Dirty Pirates Wildcat Dad's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Pras View Post
    Let's not get crazy here. Start him, sure. But we're there to win.
    Of course. My point was he deserves to start, and if the game flows right, he deserves to finish. He would play sometime during the game anyway