Zeus's Offense

Seattle Silver Foxes Applequest's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Default Zeus's Offense

I want to give Zeus's offensive game a shoutout on two different fronts:

Footwork: He had some of the nicest moves under the basket that we've ever seen from him. He showed great patience to take his time and turn a potentially difficult shot into an easier one.

Jump shot: I love the fact he's added a jump shot into his game. Anyone who shoots that well from the line should be able to take those short jumpers, and it will be something he'll need to do at the next level.

All we need left from Zeus is a bit more consistency from his baby hook. For whatever reason he's just been struggling with it. I predict he puts a lot of work into that over this summer and comes back next season with a dominant offensive game that will catapult him into a great position in the 2015 NBA draft. You can really see him starting to put it together.

Pick Em Rank

Agreed and its awesome.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Pick Em Rank

agree with everything!

"Like!"

Happy Birthday big fella!
    Go Zeus!
    Go Cats!
    "Fear knocked at the door... faith answered, and there was no one there."

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Happy B-day Zeus!

It was discussed in the forum how Zeus is shooting so good this year from the FT line, and thus he should be able to put up jumpers. Then a few weeks later he starts doing that. I wonder. No matter why/how it started, it's great to see him making those pull ups. That gives his game a whole 'nother dimension that can help the Wildcats and cause problems for the defenders. Way to go Zeus! I agree about the footwork around the hoop tonight. He's made a few of those moves before. It'll be great when he has several and can do them anytime the need arises. His stock will skyrocket.

Bear Down Wildcats!

Pick Em Rank

real proud of zeus, for pretty much the whole season now. the only unfortunate thing is the majority of all the great things he does, don't show up in the box score. Dude is screening and taking two fools out on the regular.

Raleigh Reignmakers CrazyCatzfan's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Zeus is an absolute beast. He should be shooting our technical fouls as he is our best free throw shooter IMO

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Kind of sad that some people were already souring on Zeus during his freshman year. God forbid a freshman big man need a year to develop! Nice that he's put it together. I hope we get to watch him play one more year in college. He's definitely coming into his own.

Stereotypical Asian Guy AztecWildcat's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Destroyed Cal's bigs today.

Pick Em Rank

If he plays like he did tonight for the rest of the year, I would be surprised if he doesn't test the waters this year, guy is a beast out there

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Zeus has turned the corner big time. Great for him! He has really stepped it up. And oh yeah.... Happy birthday big man

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Pick Em Rank

For those of you that hang around the shout box, you know I'm a big fan of Zeus. I suggest everyone on this site appreciate what we have in this young man. Try to remember when we were scrambling to find a big man. I remember that, and it sucked. Look at the teams that don't have one, they struggle.

In Zeus, we have a guy that has been working his ass off on his skill sets, strength, and academics. He has a great competitive streak and has been an unselfish teammate. He can hold down a back line on D. He can screen, bang, and shoot on O. He rarely fouls out. He is tough in the paint. He's a 5 that shoots free throws well.

If I could have one of him on every Arizona team, I'll take it.

I'm happy he chose Arizona. I hope he gets a National Championship or two. I know if he continues to develop his game, he will be a long time pro.
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr5sogzd4j1qfd3x7.gif

I am the one who knocks....I am the Danger!

Pick Em Rank

Man, I agree with everything said. His jumper looks so sweet! If he can do that consistently through the rest of this year we are going deep! He really has "honored" the process. Nice work big fella!

Pick Em Rank

Excellent job Zeus and Happy Birthday!!
    "Its a good day t​o be an Arizona Wildcat." -- "Its always SUNNY in Tucson."

Pick Em Rank

Agree with you 100% here Apps. His footwork and soft touch under/around the rim were incredible. He's putting the pieces together and it's damn fun to watch. If he's still around next year, he's going to be absolutely punishing opponents down low.

Pick Em Rank

The thing that stood out to me more than anything was after we gave up 11 straight points and Cal cut the lead to 7 we turned to Zeus to get us back on track and not Nick. Zeus did the job and everyone else followed, it was refreshing.

Pick Em Rank

if Zeus gets around 10 shots a game, I'm happy.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    Pick Em Rank

Zeus only missed two shots last night (one was his easiest attempt of the night, that layup where his guy fell down and he started falling but was one foot from the hoop hahaha).

When he is having games like that, we HAVE to keep feeding him. So many times this year he has gone 2-4, 4-4, etc....those are the games where he should be getting a paint touch on every possession, and that would work because he is very unselfish, is willing to pass it out when he doesn't have a good post opportunity. He has done a great job recognizing when he has the ball in the right spot and attacking, and like Apps said his footwork is amazing. I went to the Cal board to have a look around and all they kept whining about was Zeus traveling, but that is simply a fan ASSUMING a big doesn't have the footwork to avoid traveling in that situation (because most bigs DON'T) and we all know from watching him this year that it is probably the area he improved the most (besides his hands and FT%).

Zeus is repping for NH, and soon will be repping UA in the league. Just hope we get another year to truly watch him dominate because next year he will be the ultimate man among boys

surrounded by an army of 2. Which i created...
    Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    The thing that stood out to me more than anything was after we gave up 11 straight points and Cal cut the lead to 7 we turned to Zeus to get us back on track and not Nick. Zeus did the job and everyone else followed, it was refreshing.
    I loved seeing that. It seems, some of our biggest offensive droughts coincide with zero touches for Zeus. I swear, just entering the ball in the post helps initiate the offense. Zeus is a good passer and doesn't get enough credit for that. He should be the recipient of the Hockey assist on a lot of plays.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by bengcord3 View Post
    Zeus only missed two shots last night (one was his easiest attempt of the night, that layup where his guy fell down and he started falling but was one foot from the hoop hahaha).

When he is having games like that, we HAVE to keep feeding him. So many times this year he has gone 2-4, 4-4, etc....those are the games where he should be getting a paint touch on every possession, and that would work because he is very unselfish, is willing to pass it out when he doesn't have a good post opportunity. He has done a great job recognizing when he has the ball in the right spot and attacking, and like Apps said his footwork is amazing. I went to the Cal board to have a look around and all they kept whining about was Zeus traveling, but that is simply a fan ASSUMING a big doesn't have the footwork to avoid traveling in that situation (because most bigs DON'T) and we all know from watching him this year that it is probably the area he improved the most (besides his hands and FT%).

Zeus is repping for NH, and soon will be repping UA in the league. Just hope we get another year to truly watch him dominate because next year he will be the ultimate man among boys
    Zeus had a couple up and under moves around the basket. Most were good, but I do believe he got away with a travel on one. Without the benefit of replay, I thought so live at the time.

Baltimore Blowfish TraneofThought's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

As improved as his hands and footwork are - and great thread idea, BTW - I'm most excited about that 14-18 foot jumpshot he showed off last night. Clearly, he didn't develop it overnight, so you have to wonder why he hasn't been using it all season; but man, it is a thing of beauty. His confidence is obviously soaring, and if he can make that shot consistently, watch out. A bump in his NBA draft stock aside, that shot going in frequently opens up so many other options on offense.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Palpalife View Post
    Zeus had a couple up and under moves around the basket. Most were good, but I do believe he got away with a travel on one. Without the benefit of replay, I thought so live at the time.
    Just saw the replay and he did travel around the 5 minute mark in the first half.

That having happened though on the flip side of the coin Zeus was stellar last night. Absolutely love how he stretched the court and was flirting with the 3 point line when he scored a jumper at one point.
    #4Bashley

Pick Em Rank

A big man for Cal traveled bad, he was around the FT line by himself, and they did not call that one. At least Zeus was under the basket while everyone was trying to hack him.

Originally Posted by Cadwell View Post
    Just saw the replay and he did travel around the 5 minute mark in the first half.

That having happened though on the flip side of the coin Zeus was stellar last night. Absolutely love how he stretched the court and was flirting with the 3 point line when he scored a jumper at one point.

Pick Em Rank

Thinking of Zues and Brash as juniors gives me a fuzzy feeling inside!

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Cadwell View Post

Originally Posted by UA_in_FL View Post
    A big man for Cal traveled bad, he was around the FT line by himself, and they did not call that one. At least Zeus was under the basket while everyone was trying to hack him.
    Travels are missed all the time. And, not that either of you are calling me on it, I'm not trying to bash Zeus in any way at all, just was making a small point about one play. His other plays around the basket were beautiful.

Also, to jump on the train about his jumper. I've been convinced all year he could do that simply because his FT stroke (even last year) is too good not to be a good shooter. I hope he starts taking more of those to spread the floor and boost his confidence.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I agree, if Zeus stays (which from talks looks like thats whats happening), and Brash gets 100%, then we are going to have the best seasoned starting front court in the country next year.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by DoubleDown View Post
    I agree, if Zeus stays (which from talks looks like thats whats happening), and Brash gets 100%, then we are going to have the best seasoned starting front court in the country next year.
    that's the million dollar question.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I think Joseph Blair has done a brilliant job with Zeus this year. I'm sure he went to some big man camps over the summer as well, but Zeus has improved as the year has gone on. That little jumper is what Frye did his whole UofA career. Money from 17 feet in. Zeus has that same stroke.

I agree that people were too quick to be down on this kid. Big men take time. He has put in a lot of work. You can tell just by looking at him but his fundamentals are off the charts now, too. This can only be good for recruiting big guys in the future.

I know signs point towards him staying, but I would not be surprised at all to see him go. If he comes back he will be a true force in college basketball.

And he definitely got away with one travel. Montgomery was all over it, too. But that little up and under move he's developing it tough to defend.
    Robert Wagner killed Bison Dele!

Pick Em Rank

A side note to, Solomon was straight out stiff arming Zeus around the paint trying to win position on the big guy.
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr5sogzd4j1qfd3x7.gif

I am the one who knocks....I am the Danger!

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    Pick Em Rank

I certainly think there's a chance Zeus traveled once or twice. But those Cal babies were literally trying to say that EVERY post move was a travel. Zeus is too savvy to travel on every play, and I love seeing his up and under, fake one way and go the other type moves (as long as he keeps the ball up and doesn't gets stripped!!)

Pick Em Rank

That is the same reason why I voted Zeus the Cal MVP even with Nick and TJ playing lights out.
    I think Zeus could easily play his way into the 1st round of the NBA Draft with a consistent and efficient performance like the one he put up last night.
    Marcus Garvey,MLK,Malcolm X,Joe Louis,Rosa Parks,etc..
    All these men & woman and several more African-Americans helped paved the way to allow me to chase my dream and to pursue greatness,to sit in the same classroom as those whose ancestors thought they were more superior than mine..