Arizona up to 3rd in AP Poll, Florida new #1

RawDoggy Style IT'S MILLER TIME's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Default Arizona up to 3rd in AP Poll, Florida new #1

Arizona got a few 1st place votes and Syracuse moved to 4th. UCLA dropped out of the rankings.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ar/2014/poll/1

Last edited by IT'S MILLER TIME; 02-24-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

The funny thing about this is that we have the same number of losses as Florida, more marquee wins and we are ahead of them in both BPI and RPI rankings. The only difference is we are post-Ashley and our two losses have come more recently.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

How many teams can lose a first round NBA pick and only lose two spots in the polls?

In Ace's words... We're goooood.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Hesscat View Post
    The funny thing about this is that we have the same number of losses as Florida, more marquee wins and we are ahead of them in both BPI and RPI rankings. The only difference is we are post-Ashley and our two losses have come more recently.
    They are currently on a 19 game winning streak. I am guessing that is why they are #1.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Movin' on UP B!tches....

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

So...what is the likelihood either of these teams lose in the remainder of their conference season?

Florida...

Feb 25 @ VAN 7:00 PM ET
    Mar 1 vs LSU 4:00 PM ET
    Mar 4 @ SCAR 7:00 PM ET
    Mar 8 vs #17 UK 12:00 PM ET

Wichita State....

Feb 25 @ BRAD 9:00 PM ET
    Mar 1 vs MOSU 2:00 PM ET

Maybe Kentucky could go down to Florida and pull out a win, but that is about it. Also, I think 'Cuse will pull one out at the Twerps, but UVA is going to beat them in VA. Kansas could easily swap with 'Cuse after this week if they manage to survive at OKST.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Will-Power View Post
    They are currently on a 19 game winning streak. I am guessing that is why they are #1.
    Hence why I said the difference was that our losses have come more recently. Not disagreeing they should be number one. They have wins over Kansas, Memphis and Kentucky. Just under the purely statistical rankings we are ahead of them.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

We're #1 by HUGE margins on Sagarin, BPI and KenPom. In fact, the gap between #1 and #2 on Sagarin is the same as between #2 and #17 [Wichita State]. Similar thing with KenPom [1-2=2-8 (Wichita State)]. These mean a lot more than the AP poll, which measures who-knows-what.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Wichita State wont loose, but Florida is 50/50

If we win the next 4 games we are lock for the West #1 seed no matter what happens. If we loose one of those games then who knows. It would be great to see Kansas loose to OK State, Louisville go down at Memphis and Duke fall on their face against anyone!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by pltrogon View Post
    We're #1 by HUGE margins on Sagarin, BPI and KenPom. In fact, the gap between #1 and #2 on Sagarin is the same as between #2 and #17 [Wichita State]. Similar thing with KenPom [1-2=2-8 (Wichita State)]. These mean a lot more than the AP poll, which measures who-knows-what.
    Would it be accurate to say the AP rankings are more what people think the teams DESERVE based purely on a win/loss basis vs. what team rankings actually ARE based on a range of statistics? Also, I assume the selection committee largely considers mostly the latter?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by tomspengler View Post

If we win the next 4 games we are lock for the West #1 seed no matter what happens. If we loose one of those games then who knows. It would be great to see Kansas loose to OK State, Louisville go down at Memphis and Duke fall on their face against anyone!
    As much as I hate Duke, and trust me, I loathe Duke!! Until the Selection Party, we want Duke to continue to win. The more Duke wins, the better our victory at MSG looks.

Pick Em Rank

I just can't do that...DUKE MUST ALWAYS LOOSE!!!(Even against ASU)
    Originally Posted by DenverCat View Post
    As much as I hate Duke, and trust me, I loathe Duke!! Until the Selection Party, we want Duke to continue to win. The more Duke wins, the better our victory at MSG looks.

Desert Diamond Cardsharks Nickelback's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Everything seemed to go Arizona's way this week/weekend. Given the landscape of the rest of the top teams in college basketball, I think we have a one game cushion on a #1 seed and I think we ended up taking a nice step towards having a two game cushion if that second loss happens to be in the final game of the Pac-12 touney championship.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Are you all really convinced that we are the #1 team in the country after losing Ashley? We've lost to ASU, Cal, and haven't yet faced another team in the top 25 since. Florida meanwhile, has won 19 in a row. I don't honestly think we have shown enough yet since Ashley has been gone to prove we are better than Florida right now.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

We certainly PLAYED like a #1 team at Colorado. I guess we will see what the next 4 games show....especially that Oregon trip that is going to be a buzzsaw....count on it.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I think if we even loose one more game, in the regular season, we are still the number one seed in the west region

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Are you all really convinced that we are the #1 team in the country after losing Ashley? We've lost to ASU, Cal, and haven't yet faced another team in the top 25 since. Florida meanwhile, has won 19 in a row. I don't honestly think we have shown enough yet since Ashley has been gone to prove we are better than Florida right now.
    Florida has been on the ropes in their last 2 games - to Auburn and Ole Miss.

I think they slip up sometime soon.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Dardanus1021 View Post
    I think if we even loose one more game, in the regular season, we are still the number one seed in the west region
    Probably.

Some of you get too wrapped up in the Top 25 polls; Arizona's resume is so damn good. 9 wins versus top 50 teams; tops in the BPI, KenPom, Sagarin, #2 in RPI, etc.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I assume there is a solid history of basing seeding on only BPI, KenPom, Sagarin, RPI, etc. and ignoring what all these polls say?

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by desertdink View Post
    I assume there is a solid history of basing seeding on only BPI, KenPom, Sagarin, RPI, etc. and ignoring what all these polls say?
    The AP poll has literally 0 effect on seeding. They don't even waste their time looking at it.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I actually prefer being #2 or #3 in AP as long as we have #1 West seed!

Pick Em Rank

Arizona is in great shape to claim the overall #1 seed for the tournament for the following reasons:

Clearly #1 in RPI, Sagarin ratings, BPI, Pomeroy ratings, and the most wins versus Top 50 teams in the country! These are the things which the selection committee put a lot of weight on.

We Good!
    "Its a good day t​o be an Arizona Wildcat." -- "Its always SUNNY in Tucson."

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by desertdink View Post
    Would it be accurate to say the AP rankings are more what people think the teams DESERVE based purely on a win/loss basis vs. what team rankings actually ARE based on a range of statistics? Also, I assume the selection committee largely considers mostly the latter?
    I think that's the idea of the AP polls, but it comes with a huge amount of human baggage. Name value, preseason rankings, narrative, recent schedule, regional bias, ignorance, etc. My understanding is that the committee uses RPI [we're #2 behind Kansas] and top-25 and top-50 wins [we lead the country in both categories], among the more subjective metrics.

Presumably our #3 ranking compared to Florida's #1 is due to how hot they are right now and our struggles since losing Ashley, despite our overall better profile. Can't argue with that, honestly.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by pltrogon View Post
    But do those margins take into account each player's contributions or only the team as a whole? I ask because I feel like losing Ashley should reduce that margin significantly. For example, we probably wouldn't have won as many games if Ashley were out from the beginning.

I still believe we have a chance at winning it all as long as we don't go through another shooting slump, but losing Ashley was huge and it should mean we are no longer #1 by HUGE margins.