Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

National Media WTF

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Default National Media WTF

Normally I shy away from the "East Coast bias" arguments and such, but I find it astonishing that there's been a virtual media blackout about the Cats' blowout of Colorado.

It started immediately after the game ended. Normally, when a game is shown on ESPN and ends during SportsCenter's slot, the studio hosts kick it back to the game announcers for a wrap-up. Didn't happen this time. Instead, the Boeheim blowup was the dominant coverage, and all we got was a weak highlight package about half an hour into SportsCenter.

Then, despite being a featured prime time game, neither ESPN nor Sports Illustrated has posted any game analysis or sidebar stories. None. Just the AP wrap story. There's actually a video box for ASU-Utah on the MCBB front ESPN page right now, vastly more prominent than any of the coverage for the GameDay feature game which turned into the #4 team - a trendy upset pick by everyone - dominating the home team on their own court and playing a near-perfect second half.

And Seth Davis, who wrote TWO articles about how Colorado would win (rather, I think it was an article and a video), bumped Kansas over the Cats in his AP poll this week, claims "eye test" was the reason.

Seriously, WTF, national media?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

How many times do we have to start a thread like this?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

(1) I've never posted on them.
    (2) Find me another instance of there not being a single sidebar story/video for the game that hosted ESPN GameDay, and then we can talk.

This wasn't a run-of-the-mill win for the Cats. When everyone was questioning whether they could recover from Ashley's absence, they put up arguably the team's best offensive performance of the season in a very hostile environment.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

meh the important media took notice, joe llunardi think we are his #1 tourney seed he said our record makes it an easy choice for him and even though i wouldn't necessarily call andy katz "important media" he does get more face time on espn then alot of there other writers/bloggers and he has us as his team of the week he even said we were the only pac school too sweep home and away the toughest roadtrip in the pac 12 CU and utah. i know football season is over but there always seems to be a media lull on sunday and it always seems to continue until rankings comeout again on monday

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 View Post
    How many times do we have to start a thread like this?
    Funny how we rip ESPN and the national media for not knowing what they're talking about, yet desperately seek their approval at the same time. Genius.

Can't wait for the next thread.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I think ALL media is generally ridiculous...look at how national news is covered...its part of the problem everyone see's the elephant as a trunk ot a leg, no one can step back and see the entire thing...this problem is compounded by sportscasters because they all have a pronounced bias...

And of course so do we...we see the entire tourney as a stage for Az rather than a national competition between 68 colleges...

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by nonaz13 View Post
    meh the important media took notice, joe llunardi think we are his #1 tourney seed he said our record makes it an easy choice for him and even though i wouldn't necessarily call andy katz "important media" he does get more face time on espn then alot of there other writers/bloggers and he has us as his team of the week he even said we were the only pac school too sweep home and away the toughest roadtrip in the pac 12 CU and utah. i know football season is over but there always seems to be a media lull on sunday and it always seems to continue until rankings comeout again on monday
    This.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

Pick Em Rank

In the AZ Republic, on Sunday, in the story about our crushing of Colorado they quoted Xavier's statement after their defeat in Tempe.
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God.

"We played in Maui and beat Kansas, lost to Michigan State in overtime and lost to Connecticut. That's not quite like losing to Sisters of the Poor. If you want to be ranked, you really need to play those kinds of teams. But if you want to be recognized in the RPI, you need to play the good teams. So that's been a little bit of our story." Lute Olson

Pick Em Rank

I don't really have a problem with other teams getting looks over us, we obviously have our issues. If we play like we did versus Colorado and win by these huge margins down the stretch, the criticism will go away.
    Twitter: @BeardownBill
    Papadeuce - "Whenever i meet up with kane my wife says to "tell your boyfriend hi for me""
    AztecWildcat - "There are more lawyers than people on this website. Jesus."
    GulfCoastCat - "grapejuice isn't rod?"
    Ryno - "
    ****, I better take a shower before work. I smell like DawgWarrior"
    cjw2222 - "The only thing Rondae can't shoulder shimmy? eeisners sex life"

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by nonaz13 View Post
    there always seems to be a media lull on sunday and it always seems to continue until rankings comeout again on monday
    This.

Also, College Basketball Nation just posted "Planning for Success: Arizona's New Look". Get ready for a wave of nearly identical articles from every corner of the internet that analyzes college basketball.

Baltimore Blowfish TraneofThought's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

I did wonder why the Gameday crew never came back on to discuss the game. Found it curious, to say the least.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

For the record, I take full [sic] credit for the timing of Eamonn Brennan's post this morning.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by TraneofThought View Post
    I did wonder why the Gameday crew never came back on to discuss the game. Found it curious, to say the least.
    Because they all picked us to lose, and we rolled and smoked Colorado!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by WildcatYuma View Post
    Because they all picked us to lose, and we rolled and smoked Colorado!
    Exactly. Making a big deal out of our win at Colorado would break one or both of the main commandments of journalism: 1. NEVER be wrong, and 2. Report lazy talking point group-think whenever possible.

Of course, they will make excuses that in the rapid cycle of 24/7 sports reporting, like all other news, there simply isn't time to do anything but regurgitate the same crap everyone else reports, which is why if you shop around for news, you will hear the same tired subjects, the same tired cliches, and the same tired analysis from just about everyone on the national scene. If the B.S. originates in the AP, then the same B.S. tends to be propagated to all the affiliates.

More than any "east coast bias", I think the national sportswriters (who mostly live out east), are simply arrogant and/or lazy...which is why PGU is such an absolutely refreshing breath of fresh air when it comes to sports analysis.

Pick Em Rank

As a hole, AZ has been given the attention and respect they deserve this year by the nation as a whole, friends of mine from around the country can actually name more than just AG on the team and that says something.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Here you go, found this on another blog:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:10508083

BEAR DOWN

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Those guys had already boarded their respective planes.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Would it have been fun to see more coverage of the CU blowout, sure? I'll repeat what I've said before, as long as recruits know what were up to and Miller keeps bringing in those 5 star recruits I really could care less what the media says or doesn't say about this program.

Walking the the thinnest line, between the bright and dark sides of my mind
    Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by desertdink View Post
    Of course, they will make excuses that in the rapid cycle of 24/7 sports reporting, like all other news, there simply isn't time to do anything but regurgitate the same crap everyone else reports, which is why if you shop around for news, you will hear the same tired subjects, the same tired cliches, and the same tired analysis from just about everyone on the national scene. If the B.S. originates in the AP, then the same B.S. tends to be propagated to all the affiliates.
    Oh you mean like the all-time favorite excuse of, the game was on waaaaay too late for anybody East of the Mississippi to care? I mean, that's what happened in Boulder this weekend, right?
    "Nastiness is required" - Sean Miller, Coach, University of Arizona

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I think we get plenty of coverage. Much more than most teams. I don't know that more is better anyway. Just shoot 60% from the field and let the chips fall where they may.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by TheOracleCat View Post
    Oh you mean like the all-time favorite excuse of, the game was on waaaaay too late for anybody East of the Mississippi to care? I mean, that's what happened in Boulder this weekend, right?
    YES...apparently sportswriters on the east coast turn into pumpkins if the games go past 8 PM EST. Duh...

Maybe they need their fairy godmother...

.....BIBBIDY, BOBBIDY, BOOO......

Pick Em Rank

Im not one to get caught up in the paranoia, but I'm shocked we didn't get some more love for the second half offensive performance. Its one thing to shoot 80+% from the field at home against a directional school in the nonconference, but its even more impressive to do it on the road in a hostile environment. Would have been nice to get some more recognition

Pick Em Rank

Let's not get it twisted, if 'Cuse was a potentail overall #1 seed today like Arizona is, they'd be ALL over ESPN especially with the blow up that Boeheim had. The reality is is 'Cuse has been on the precipice of not backing up the hype for a couple weeks now...unlike Arizona who has fought and battled to stay close to the top with a different dynamic after losing Brandon.

Arizona is more dominant in a few areas compared to those two teams that continue to get all the attention...Hell even Indiana got A LOT of air time last season after being a bismal team the last decade.

It's aggitating for sure, but I also don't care for the proverbiel target that comes with all the hype...I'll wait to see what Chuck says and see the rest eat crow in late March and hopefully early April.
    #4Bashley

Pick Em Rank

The fact that the game was ESPN's gameday, which had the majority of their normal panel, minus Jay who headed off to cover the Duke game - and then absolutely nothing from ESPN about the game afterwards is pretty strange to say the least.

The entire snippet from the game played on ESPN was AG getting the number 2 play on Top 10. I don't even remember seeing a summary of our game.

Shocking under normal circumstances that they don't show a top 5 teams game. Considering it was on their channel, with their main college basketball TV event covering it, and with some of their major names at the event it's even more shocking at how little it was covered.

Like many on here, I don't really care too much about it, but I did find it very strange that the only thing that ESPN had on the game was a poorly written AP piece.

Pick Em Rank

They never wanted to be there in the first place. If College Basketball Gameday were like football they would choose the week before, but for some reason they have to pick places before the season even starts. They were mentally and at heart in Durham on Saturday, while they were physically in Boulder.

My favorite thing said in the media this weekend and specifically from the Pac-12 Network no less is that UCLA is at a disadvantage in the conference race because they never got a chance to play @Arizona. That may have been the best thing I've heard in awhile.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Just win and it won't matter what any of these "Geniuses" say. Haters will hate.
    "Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
    John Wayne

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    My favorite thing said in the media this weekend and specifically from the Pac-12 Network no less is that UCLA is at a disadvantage in the conference race because they never got a chance to play @Arizona. That may have been the best thing I've heard in awhile.
    Might be the dumbest thing I've heard in awhile. If they didn't want to be at a disadvantage they should have beaten us on their home court.

Pick Em Rank

Do we always have to play the ****ing victim role? Who cares if we didnt get a ****load of the coverage? The number one story that night was boeheim and the controversial loss. It was a much more marquee matchup and had an interesting piece to it. Stop acting like a victim. Go out and kick ass on the court and the results will speak for themself. Nothing worse than listening to whiny bitches piss and moan about 'respect'.

Pick Em Rank

Coach Miller

Seems to me that sportscasters in general prefer to exploit the coverage of close games, not blowouts of unranked teams.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Wilbur Really?

I'm going to break this thread down real quick. Prepare to get mad. "You thought your gown was the prettiest at the ball and no one noticed ? Buck up princess the world does not revolve around you."

Just keep winning. That is all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast