Why no Mayes?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Default Why no Mayes?

I realize this is an absurd thread to start, but based on his performance when he actually has played in the last 2+ games, why isn't Mayes playing more?

he made the three ala Colorado in Mckale style, and he's made his last 3 FG attempts (not counting fast break lay ups that are blocked)

seems to to me he's possibly got his stroke back, so why not let an experienced senior get more time?

Seattle Silver Foxes Don't Pay the Choll Toll's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Its pretty clear Miller prefers Yorks offense over Mayes. But Mayes did get some minutes last night, even on defensive possessions late in the game.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Did everyone see that RHJ took and made a 3?

thats fantastic and I wish he would practice that shot a lot more because if he was semi respectable from that range, it changes our offensive spacing completely!

Pick Em Rank

Because Mayes is not good at the game of basketball. I was screaming "Nooooooo" at the tv when he went for that layup...
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by moosety2008 View Post

thats fantastic and I wish he would practice that shot a lot more because if he was semi respectable from that range, it changes our offensive spacing completely!
    That was a shocking yet happy moment! Hope he practices a bit and at least tries every once in a while. We need extra performances in offense especially when we are stuck

Pick Em Rank

That was great. But given how that shot looked I wouldn't expect it to go in at a very high rate!
    HTTFB

Seattle Silver Foxes Don't Pay the Choll Toll's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    That was great. But given how that shot looked I wouldn't expect it to go in at a very high rate!
    that shot was in my nightmares last night. So ugly.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Do you think he's been working on it for that very reason? From what I remember, he made a respectable number of those in his high school days, and he likes to shoot them. I wouldn't be surprised if that and a couple of others were the surprise waiting for teams in the playoffs. If it didn't come out 'till the playoffs started, the competition would have to rewrite their whole defensive set-ups at the last minute to account for him/that.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by titan4wildcats View Post
    Do you think he's been working on it for that very reason? From what I remember, he made a respectable number of those in his high school days, and he likes to shoot them. I wouldn't be surprised if that and a couple of others were the surprise waiting for teams in the playoffs. If it didn't come out 'till the playoffs started, the competition would have to rewrite their whole defensive set-ups at the last minute to account for him/that.
    That shot had no arc and no rotation. I seriously hope it's not our secret weapon!
    HTTFB

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I like RhJ's mechanics at the freethrow line. The follow through is there and I think his mid-long range shooting game has tremendous upside. He just needs to shoot that with more confidence.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I realize this is an absurd thread to start, but based on his performance when he actually has played in the last 2+ games, why isn't Mayes playing more?

he made the three ala Colorado in Mckale style, and he's made his last 3 FG attempts (not counting fast break lay ups that are blocked)

seems to to me he's possibly got his stroke back, so why not let an experienced senior get more time?
    I was thinking the same thing. Miller has always trusted him on defense and with teams packing it in against our offense, he should get a ton of wide open looks. It's not like he needs to come off the bench shooting either! Just come in for a few minutes at a time to space the floor, play D, and most importantly, give our starting guards some much needed rest!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I actually liked York starting instead of RHJ last night. I we need the shooting with that starting lineup. Nothing against RHJ who is the better individual player, I just think York is the better fit with the starters. I also loved that we actually pushed the ball last night. Lets do that the rest of the year! We can't let the defense set up and pack it in every possession. Also prefer York and RHJ over Mayes.

Scandinavia Dirty Pirates dabest1002's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by titan4wildcats View Post
    I play for the team that beat him in the state championship last year and I can tell you that in high school he couldn't shoot a lick.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

He's looked pretty good recently. He needs more of a run.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

My crystal ball has Mayes making the 3 which wins us the national title as the clock expires.....

Dang, I got to get that thing fixed.
    "Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
    John Wayne

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Mayes will be playing more minutes from here on out.

Book it.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 View Post
    Mayes will be playing more minutes from here on out.

Book it.
    Doesn't mean I have to like it.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Hell yeah, Mayes aka Googley Eyes is gonna start stroking BLav stizzy

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Wcatsbball4lyfe View Post
    Doesn't mean I have to like it.
    I have to agree on this, EVERY year other than his freshman year I have CRINGED each time Mayes has stepped on the court. I kept praying and hoping he would pull out of his 'slump' but I'm beginning to think he really has just developed into a primarily defensive player!