Results 1 to 26 of 26

Super Non Biased Article from a UCLA homer

  1. #1
    Aztec Warriors ArizonaSting's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    411
    Pick Em Rank
    58
    Rep Power
    34432

    Default Super Non Biased Article from a UCLA homer

    Lolz. So many things are swayed in this article I can't deal with it. Read it for yourself. Cherry-picking stats is fun.

    http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_bas...er-of-the-year
    AIR GORDON

  2. #2
    Wildcat Fan cmcgowan702's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Spokane,WA
    Posts
    470
    Pick Em Rank
    156
    Rep Power
    48444

    Default

    couldn't get past the title. I bet its a great read.
    Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor, the accountant. Probably a great golfer... huge ass.

  3. #3
    Maui Big Black Howler Monkeys Caz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    _
    Posts
    2,360
    Pick Em Rank
    135
    Rep Power
    1958441

    Default

    and why did he get suspended for a game?
    what a joke
    Air-Zona!!!!
    " I'm just a basketball player, I don't really have a true position. I just play hard on every possession " - Derrick Williams

  4. #4
    Player Judge Buechler's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    32
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    This article reveals something about UCLA that should really be raising some serious red flags. How bad is the state of UCLA basketball that they couldn't get a decent writer to volunteer some of their time to write about bruins hoops? This was barely readable, and not in the fun, laughable sense. What I am saying, is that this was clearly written by an eighth grader for a persuasive essay assignment. I will have to commend him or her on their ability to use statistical analysis to prove a point. However, I do hope when they gets to high school and college, that they can take a journalism class or two to help with media neutrality. With that being said, I think this young scholar has a bright future ahead, and I hope he or she carries their passion for hoops to the high school newspaper next year. I just hope that UCLA can at least get one of their English majors or former alumni to step forward and offer their services for bruinsnation next season, because this was embarrassing.

  5. #5
    Wildcat Fan AztecWildcat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2011
    Location
    32.235608, -110.953251
    Posts
    2,477
    Pick Em Rank
    93
    Rep Power
    685582

    Default

    Originally Posted by Judge Buechler View Post
    This article reveals something about UCLA that should really be raising some serious red flags. How bad is the state of UCLA basketball that they couldn't get a decent writer to volunteer some of their time to write about bruins hoops? This was barely readable, and not in the fun, laughable sense. What I am saying, is that this was clearly written by an eighth grader for a persuasive essay assignment. I will have to commend him or her on their ability to use statistical analysis to prove a point. However, I do hope when they gets to high school and college, that they can take a journalism class or two to help with media neutrality. With that being said, I think this young scholar has a bright future ahead, and I hope he or she carries their passion for hoops to the high school newspaper next year. I just hope that UCLA can at least get one of their English majors or former alumni to step forward and offer their services for bruinsnation next season, because this was embarrassing.
    Yes. Bruinsnation is in general one of the most poorly written and irrational fansites I've come across.
    I blame ESPN, PAC-12 Network, Larry Scott, East Coast Bias, Direct TV, Dish Network, The Honda Center, PAC-12 Refs, and Mark Lyons

  6. #6
    Wildcat Fan desertdink's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    376
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    40679

    Default

    Let's look at the statistics, shall we?

    Player GP MIN PPG RPG APG SPG BPG TPG FG% FT% 3P%
    Kyle Anderson 28 33.3 14.9 8.6 6.8 1.8 0.8 3.2 .490 .752 .489

    Player MIN FGM FGA FTM FTA 3PM 3PA PTS OFFR DEFR REB AST TO STL BLK
    Kyle Anderson 931 143 292 109 145 22 45 417 38 203 241 190 90 50 22

    Player GP MIN PPG RPG APG SPG BPG TPG FG% FT% 3P%
    Nick Johnson 29 32.4 16.0 3.9 2.8 1.1 0.6 1.8 .443 .769 .341

    Player MIN FGM FGA FTM FTA 3PM 3PA PTS OFFR DEFR REB AST TO STL BLK
    Nick Johnson 941 154 348 113 147 43 126 464 23 89 112 80 52 32 16

    Ok...shall we point out that while KA averages almost a minute more per game, NJ clearly has a higher PPG? KA is clearly a leader in rebounds, but he is also a 6'-9" combo G/F compared to 6'-3" combo G with NJ, not to mention with Gordon and Zeus and Ashley (for a time), NJ scarcely needed to rebound much. Still, averaging 3.9 boards per game as a guard is pretty darn good. KA leads considerably in assists, as well he should...he's the friggin' PG. Steals are about a wash, and so are blocks, when considering the height advantage, should be far higher with KA. NJ is the clear leader in taking better care of the ball with far less turnovers. FT% is about the same, and while KA appears to be a better shooter, NJ is the better SCORER.

    Then there are the intangibles that don't show up on a box score, where IMO, NJ is the clear favorite. When it comes to leadership, encouraging other players, team cohesion, and just 100% effort every moment on the court, KA is no comparison to NJ. I am not sure how one can fail to bring it up, but apparently to those at BN, your POY candidate needs to have discipline problems with the coach and sit out games for breaking team rules (and I use the word "team" somewhat loosely here). I wonder how that fits into their metric, since that alone IMO, should disqualify him from consideration.

  7. #7
    Aztec Warriors ArizonaSting's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    411
    Pick Em Rank
    58
    Rep Power
    34432

    Default

    Another thing you have to factor in is... what kind of numbers would Anderson put up on a team like Arizona? His scoring would dip, along with his assists (due to TJ running the offense) and he wouldn't get nearly as many boards.

    Put Nick on UCLA and he'd most likely put up better numbers. Best player on the best team should win every year, imo. Unless the stats are just not even comparable, which isn't the case.
    AIR GORDON

  8. #8
    Baltimore Blowfish HSP's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Location
    right behind you
    Posts
    2,107
    Pick Em Rank
    96
    Rep Power
    504506

    Default

    I forgot where i saw KA on Kenpoms POY rankings, oh that's right both NJ and AG are on there, then again i didn't see him as a naismith finalist either.

    Shame he got suspended.

    Daddy Larry, will you help?
    Twitter: @BeardownBill
    Papadeuce - "Whenever i meet up with kane my wife says to "tell your boyfriend hi for me""
    AztecWildcat - "There are more lawyers than people on this website. Jesus."
    GulfCoastCat - "grapejuice isn't rod?"
    Ryno - "
    ****, I better take a shower before work. I smell like DawgWarrior"
    cjw2222 - "The only thing Rondae can't shoulder shimmy? eeisners sex life"


  9. #9
    Seattle Silver Foxes Applequest's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    11,671
    Pick Em Rank
    24
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Lets be honest, if the award were given solely based on stats, Kyle Anderson would win. Thankfully other items are considered which all tip pretty heavily in Nick's direction.

  10. #10
    Chi City Chronic beardown3232's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    902
    Pick Em Rank
    150
    Rep Power
    313514

    Default

    This guy is just a tad bit carried away with stats.
    Ezra Amacher

    "It amazes me how often I'm asked by players, "what position will I play, coach?" ... What position does Ginobli play? #thebestplayersplay - Sean Miller's fourth tweet

  11. #11
    Player Spaginanan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mesa Az
    Posts
    10
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Nick Johnson is the best player on the best team in the country. He wins.

  12. #12
    Baltimore Blowfish Cadwell's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    1,327
    Pick Em Rank
    55
    Rep Power
    450019

    Default

    Ultimately what will hurt NJ in getting an award from the PAC12 is the fact that Larry Scott hates Arizona basketball and Sean Miller....it's not far fetched, this will have and impact...
    #4Bashley

  13. #13
    Wildcat Fan Danny V's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca
    Posts
    272
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    28576

    Default

    Bruins Nation is the biggest hater site around. Even other UCLA sites are wondering what BN's deal is? So take what they say with a giant scoop of salt.

  14. #14
    Baltimore Blowfish Palpalife's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    surrounded by an army of 2. Which i created...
    Posts
    3,448
    Pick Em Rank
    45
    Rep Power
    587487

    Default

    KA is a point forward. NJ is a 2 guard. I'd argue he's not even a combo guard. Comparing stats is meaningless because they way the play is dramatically different. Because of that, voters take into account numerous other factors in selecting the POY.

    That said, while i want NJ to win it (homer baby!), It wouldn't shock me at all if Kyle won it. He's certainly having a deserving season.

    For fun.

    player A
    32.5 6.1-13.7 .449 1.8-4.5 .402 6.5-7.8 .843 3.5 3.7 0.0 0.9 2.1 3.1 20.6

    Player B
    33.3 5.1-10.4 .490 0.8-1.6 .489 3.9-5.2 .752 8.6 6.8 0.8 1.8 1.6 3.2 14.9

    Player C
    30.4 5.6-11.9 .470 1.6-4.3 .378 4.6-5.5 .838 5.5 2.3 0.1 2.9 2.3 1.5 17.4

  15. #15
    São Paulo Sour Diesel misterx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    877
    Pick Em Rank
    124
    Rep Power
    69434

    Default

    Originally Posted by Cadwell View Post
    Ultimately what will hurt NJ in getting an award from the PAC12 is the fact that Larry Scott hates Arizona basketball and Sean Miller....it's not far fetched, this will have and impact...
    doesn't the media pick the awards so how can Scott stop an Arizona player or coach from winning an award?

    Originally Posted by Spaginanan View Post
    Nick Johnson is the best player on the best team in the country. He wins.
    by this argument Carey shouldnt have won OPOY

  16. #16
    Rio RawDogs Jeff's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    929
    Pick Em Rank
    22
    Rep Power
    425580

    Default

    Only in the world of UCLA is "clutchness" defined by how you performed in your team's losses.
    "Riding quasars all the way to the top of the mountain" - Bill Walton
    "#Shouldershimmythempeoples" - Kevin Durant

  17. #17
    Wildcat Fan tomspengler's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    171
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    20765

    Default

    Even the comments on the UCLA board are ripping Anderson for his turnovers and the team loosing. Plus their all time leading scorer picked NJ for POY. Sucks to be a bruin!

  18. #18
    Wildcat Fan Statfreak101's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    358
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    6194

    Default

    Kyle Anderson & UCLA can have the Player of the Year award.

    I'm just fine knowing Arizona is the Pac-12 champions, instead.

  19. #19
    Wildcat Fan Seans Cough's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Banned
    Posts
    893
    Pick Em Rank
    147
    Rep Power
    99892

    Default

    The article was written on February 12th. Who cares what they wrote 3 weeks ago.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

  20. #20
    Wildcat Fan Azwldctfan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    9,722
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    9200756

    Default

    Originally Posted by Palpalife View Post
    KA is a point forward. NJ is a 2 guard. I'd argue he's not even a combo guard. Comparing stats is meaningless because they way the play is dramatically different. Because of that, voters take into account numerous other factors in selecting the POY.

    That said, while i want NJ to win it (homer baby!), It wouldn't shock me at all if Kyle won it. He's certainly having a deserving season.

    For fun.

    player A
    32.5 6.1-13.7 .449 1.8-4.5 .402 6.5-7.8 .843 3.5 3.7 0.0 0.9 2.1 3.1 20.6

    Player B
    33.3 5.1-10.4 .490 0.8-1.6 .489 3.9-5.2 .752 8.6 6.8 0.8 1.8 1.6 3.2 14.9

    Player C
    30.4 5.6-11.9 .470 1.6-4.3 .378 4.6-5.5 .838 5.5 2.3 0.1 2.9 2.3 1.5 17.4
    Dang Player B is 33.3 years old but Player A has 6.1 dads and 13.7 siblings. That is a hard life. Probably Player A.

    In summary, label the columns.

  21. #21
    Wildcat Fan COWildcat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    82
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Only in the world of UCLA is "clutchness" defined by how you performed in your team's losses.
    Absurd article. Not just because I disagree with their conclusion, but just the haphazard way of getting there. I'd even grant KA the stats advantage (being on a faster-paced team), but that's it. And while we're on the topic of clutchness, they take the Cal game as evidence that NJ is not clutch, because in losses KA is still diving for loose balls and is tired at the end of the game? I'll take the guy that's won us at least 4 games in the last minute this year alone.

  22. #22
    Baltimore Blowfish Palpalife's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    surrounded by an army of 2. Which i created...
    Posts
    3,448
    Pick Em Rank
    45
    Rep Power
    587487

    Default

    Originally Posted by Azwldctfan View Post
    Dang Player B is 33.3 years old but Player A has 6.1 dads and 13.7 siblings. That is a hard life. Probably Player A.

    In summary, label the columns.
    why? you were right. Player b is 33.3 yrs old.

    I'm at work, the columns are standard ESPN and I don't have time to be super computer fancy.

    It's not that important anyway, just showing how using stats alone is garbage. Nothing more.

  23. #23
    Raleigh Reignmakers YoDeFoe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Newport Beach
    Posts
    382
    Pick Em Rank
    142
    Rep Power
    130373

    Default

    The author might as well have finger painted that article.

    My thoughts: Offense is a toss up. Defense, intangibles, and winning program go to Nick.
    If God isn't a Wildcat fan, then why do I bleed Red and Blue?

  24. #24
    Wildcat Fan cmcgowan702's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Spokane,WA
    Posts
    470
    Pick Em Rank
    156
    Rep Power
    48444

    Default

    How if POY decided vs Pac 12 Player of the Week. Nick is the clear best candidate given the totality of the circumstances, but I am not as confident that he will win if voting is similar to Pac 12 POW given we have only had 1 winner.
    Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor, the accountant. Probably a great golfer... huge ass.

  25. #25
    Wildcat Fan Statman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Arlington, Texas
    Posts
    10,002,630
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    8083277

    Default

    Originally Posted by Applequest View Post
    Lets be honest, if the award were given solely based on stats, Kyle Anderson would win. Thankfully other items are considered which all tip pretty heavily in Nick's direction.
    Actually, Delon Wright probably would win - his stats are crazy.

    BTW, I'm not sure why so many are up in arms about the possibility KA (or Wright imo - but he won't win it) could win POY - he has legitimately had a great season. There have been MUCH worse POY decisions in the past. But, Arizona wins out, I think NJ will win POY - the game suspension of KA being the final staw.

    Oh, and yes - it seems like the journalists over at that site are a bunch of 8th graders in terms of writing quality and analysis.

  26. #26
    Wildcat Fan gyagade3's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    68
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    452

    Default

    Originally Posted by cmcgowan702 View Post
    How if POY decided vs Pac 12 Player of the Week. Nick is the clear best candidate given the totality of the circumstances, but I am not as confident that he will win if voting is similar to Pac 12 POW given we have only had 1 winner.
    the problem with this is we play a team game and everyone contributes in their own ways. We don't need one player to go off and do everything for our team to win which to me is basically how the POW is determined.

  • Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •