Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 31 of 88

Half Court Offense

  1. #1
    Wildcat Fan arizona_pausch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    347
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    21167

    Default Half Court Offense

    Can we stop running one....my god, the only time we looked good tonight was that stretch in the first half where I don't think we ran more than one set in a row. Get the ball and run it up the court and attack, stop hesitating, shoot with confidence and kick ass! I swear that second half when we would do a damn thing until the clock hit 10 I was going to lose my marbles...

  2. #2
    PGU OG Wyo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Rock Springs, WY --> The Dirty T
    Posts
    7,539
    Pick Em Rank
    30
    Rep Power
    6401436

    Default

    We were rolling offensively until the 12 minute mark or so. For the last 5-6 minutes it seemed like we solely ran high ball screens. No ball movement other than perimeter passes. Very stagnant and frustrating to watch. Honestly Utah's half court motion offense looked much more fluid than ours

  3. #3
    Wildcat Fan arizona_pausch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    347
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    21167

    Default

    I was getting **** from a Wisconsin fan, and I didn't really have a comeback...that's how bad I thought it was in the 2nd half.

  4. #4
    Las Vegas Hustle KippAZCat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    812
    Pick Em Rank
    165
    Rep Power
    162951

    Default

    rightly so....we scored 21 points in the 2nd half...and that's with NJ scoring 4 with under 3:30 left --- pathetic

  5. #5
    Wildcat Fan Statfreak101's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    360
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    6195

    Default

    Some of you really don't watch or understand the game within the game.

    In the first half, when Arizona went on their run and had a double digit lead, they were getting consecutive stops; which allowed them to get out in transition and have success. In the second half, that changed completedly...not because of things that Arizona was doing, mostly, but because Utah was scoring the basketball more, which allowed them to get back and set their half court defense up; whether it be a man, or zone at times.

    Sometimes, the game and how it is unfolding dictates things such as your offensive efficiency & effectiveness. To show that Arizona wasn't that bad offensively last night, they actually improved their offensive numbers according to KenPom.

  6. #6
    Wildcat Fan arizona_pausch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    347
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    21167

    Default

    I know you're the "stat freak" but sometimes stats don't tell the entire story of the game...we bogged down and it wasn't because they scored more baskets, that offense the way it was running was terrible.

  7. #7
    Wildcat Fan arizona_pausch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    347
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    21167

    Default

    And just exactly how efficient was the team when we gave up a ten point lead and needed OT to win?

  8. #8
    Las Vegas Hustle KippAZCat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    812
    Pick Em Rank
    165
    Rep Power
    162951

    Default

    well it looked like a duck and it quacked like a duck

  9. #9
    Wildcat Fan gyagade3's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    69
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    452

    Default

    Originally Posted by Statfreak101 View Post
    Some of you really don't watch or understand the game within the game.

    In the first half, when Arizona went on their run and had a double digit lead, they were getting consecutive stops; which allowed them to get out in transition and have success. In the second half, that changed completedly...not because of things that Arizona was doing, mostly, but because Utah was scoring the basketball more, which allowed them to get back and set their half court defense up; whether it be a man, or zone at times.

    Sometimes, the game and how it is unfolding dictates things such as your offensive efficiency & effectiveness. To show that Arizona wasn't that bad offensively last night, they actually improved their offensive numbers according to KenPom.
    Thank you!!! It isn't necessarily what the Cats are doing on offense but it's how Utah was able to set up their defense. More makes = time to set up a defense (and switch defensive schemes too) which threw us off a bit.
    Last edited by gyagade3; 02-20-2014 at 11:35 AM.

  10. #10
    Wildcat Fan Seans Cough's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Banned
    Posts
    906
    Pick Em Rank
    147
    Rep Power
    99893

    Default

    Our defense sucked for a stretch, guys were getting right to the hoop for layups. And we were taking shots 15 seconds into the shot clock. It really hurts when we're bricking those and then giving up layups at the other end.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

  11. #11
    Wildcat Fan arizona_pausch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    347
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    21167

    Default

    If you don't think a team can push the ball off a make you're crazy, get the ball and go! Do you all think their defense was that good? Honestly? Do you think it was their defense and not us? I loved watching Nick hit those shots, didn't hesitate and just pulled up and nailed them! Same with TJ, I love when he is shooting those 15-18 foot jumpers because I know he's taking them with confidence. Gabe did a good job of that last night as well, even though he cooled off in the second half he was getting the ball and looking to shoot immediately! When we play that way we are at our best, when we slow the crap down and pass the ball with no purpose behind the pass we just suck on offense....

  12. #12
    Raleigh Reignmakers YoDeFoe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Newport Beach
    Posts
    384
    Pick Em Rank
    142
    Rep Power
    130373

    Default

    Originally Posted by arizona_pausch View Post
    If you don't think a team can push the ball off a make you're crazy, get the ball and go! Do you all think their defense was that good? Honestly? Do you think it was their defense and not us? I loved watching Nick hit those shots, didn't hesitate and just pulled up and nailed them!
    ...

    Those were low percentage shots and we're lucky he was able to drain them. The reasoning behind pushing the ball is to take advantage of numbers and/or a lack of a set defense - neither of those exist after a make.

    We spent the majority of the first half of the season working the ball around for our best offensive option and we were rightly lauded for it. We need to get better at our half court offense - not toss it out entirely.
    If God isn't a Wildcat fan, then why do I bleed Red and Blue?

  13. #13
    Wildcat Fan vivarizona's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Tucson - TR
    Posts
    152
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    15935

    Default

    We just need to play faster in offense. It doesn't mean we should shoot before 10-sec mark but we should constantly play the ball around. Risky for turnovers but that's the way we might get spacing inside a bit

  14. #14
    Wildcat Fan arizona_pausch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    347
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    21167

    Default

    Originally Posted by YoDeFoe View Post
    ...

    Those were low percentage shots and we're lucky he was able to drain them. The reasoning behind pushing the ball is to take advantage of numbers and/or a lack of a set defense - neither of those exist after a make.

    We spent the majority of the first half of the season working the ball around for our best offensive option and we were rightly lauded for it. We need to get better at our half court offense - not toss it out entirely.
    You make it happen, sure it's not going to be the case every time they make the basket...but you do it for those 3-5 times a game some dude doesn't hustle down the court and you take advantage of it. I seem to remember a certain UCLA Bruin now playing in the NBA who made it happen....the idea that we can't get out and catch them lacking on defense after they make a shot is just insane.

  15. #15
    Seattle Silver Foxes Don't Pay the Choll Toll's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    500
    Pick Em Rank
    40
    Rep Power
    52808

    Default

    While I actually think we run some pretty good sets, I think there is something there. Teams are packing it in on us defensively, so why not push the pace a bit and not let them get so comfortable? Or we could just hit our shots, that would work too..

  16. #16
    Wildcat Fan searatic's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    30
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by arizona_pausch View Post
    If you don't think a team can push the ball off a make you're crazy, get the ball and go! Do you all think their defense was that good? Honestly? Do you think it was their defense and not us? I loved watching Nick hit those shots, didn't hesitate and just pulled up and nailed them! Same with TJ, I love when he is shooting those 15-18 foot jumpers because I know he's taking them with confidence. Gabe did a good job of that last night as well, even though he cooled off in the second half he was getting the ball and looking to shoot immediately! When we play that way we are at our best, when we slow the crap down and pass the ball with no purpose behind the pass we just suck on offense....
    Other teams coaches scout. They are paid for that. The scouting report on Arizona is don't let them get out and run. Yes you can push on a make, but if the other teams soul purpose is to get back and force you to set up your half court offense, then chances are your running chances are going to be less. While watching the game last night I knew one of the "We need to be scoring 70 ppg" people would create a thread. We have a team full of athletes, of course we want to get out and run, but...you can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes you just might find you just might find you get what you need

  17. #17
    Wildcat Fan ibsulon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    205
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    943593

    Default

    The other thing to mention is that AG is both a good rebounder and good at getting the ball down the court. (Now, I'd prefer if he watched Kevin Love for a few games and learned how to throw an amazing outlet pass, but that's a different story. I remember Love's outlet passes even as a frosh at UCLA... I was pissed we didn't have him.)

    With him out of the game, that part of our game stalls a bit.

    THAT SAID... there's something not working with our early offense. The screen and roll isn't working. Everyone has figured out our straight motion offense it seems.

  18. #18
    Wildcat Fan Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    373
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    10201

    Default

    They way Sean Miller runs offense pisses me off. It's almost like he gets mad when we go on a fast break. We have to pass it a million times before we score. I liked watching Lute's offense much better. We are becoming the Wisconsin of the Pac-12.

  19. #19
    Wildcat Fan Azwldctfan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    9,733
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    9219628

    Default

    Heeeeeeeeeed! Sputnik! Our offense is so ugly that Fox Sports decided to do a manual blackout.

  20. #20
    Wildcat Fan Statfreak101's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    360
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    6195

    Default

    Originally Posted by arizona_pausch View Post
    And just exactly how efficient was the team when we gave up a ten point lead and needed OT to win?
    You must not understand how "efficiency" works.

  21. #21
    Wildcat Fan Statfreak101's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    360
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    6195

    Default

    Also, keep in mind...for about half of the 2nd half, Arizona was playing without Gordon. I don't care how poor of a perimeter shooter, or in general, Gordon is...his absence clearly affected Arizona's offense. He's still a terrific screener, passer, mover without the ball, etc.

    That's another factor to keep in mind.

  22. #22
    Wildcat Fan arizona_pausch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    347
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    21167

    Default

    This is the exact way we should play! Push the damn ball every time we have it, regardless if they made the shot or not! And did you folks who said it doesn't work on a made shot pay attention tonight, we did it over and over again tonight and it got us a ton of easy points! CU clawed back into it as soon as we got away from playing this way! Please continue to run run run run run!

  23. #23
    Wildcat Fan Azwldctfan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    9,733
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    9219628

    Default

    ... now Kenpom's #34 offense.. Quite a jump there in one game.... Think we jumped about 16 spots

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Wildcat Fan Statfreak101's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    360
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    6195

    Default

    Hmmmm...where are all those debbie downers now?

  25. #25
    Baltimore Blowfish TraneofThought's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    4,564
    Pick Em Rank
    54
    Rep Power
    7707240

    Default

    Originally Posted by arizona_pausch View Post
    This is the exact way we should play! Push the damn ball every time we have it, regardless if they made the shot or not! And did you folks who said it doesn't work on a made shot pay attention tonight, we did it over and over again tonight and it got us a ton of easy points! CU clawed back into it as soon as we got away from playing this way! Please continue to run run run run run!
    Good grief, people. Nothing about the offense changed. Our guys made shots. That's it.

  26. #26
    Wildcat Fan arizona_pausch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    347
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    21167

    Default

    Originally Posted by TraneofThought View Post
    Good grief, people. Nothing about the offense changed. Our guys made shots. That's it.
    You're totally out of your mind if you don't think the offense changed....it was completely different. Wow....

  27. #27
    Baltimore Blowfish TraneofThought's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    4,564
    Pick Em Rank
    54
    Rep Power
    7707240

    Default

    Originally Posted by arizona_pausch View Post
    You're totally out of your mind if you don't think the offense changed....it was completely different. Wow....
    Arizona - Utah (you know, the game that apparently forced you to create this thread): 67 possessions

    Arizona - Colorado: 66 possessions

    Please, oh please, explain to me how the offense changed and we started playing faster. I can't wait to hear it.

    Totally makes sense that Sean Miller would change his offense randomly in his 166th game at Arizona. I mean, why wouldn't he???

  28. #28
    Chi City Chronic Esq's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2010
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    16,024,879
    Pick Em Rank
    6
    Rep Power
    4946104

    Default

    Originally Posted by TraneofThought View Post
    Arizona - Utah (you know, the game that apparently forced you to create this thread): 67 possessions

    Arizona - Colorado: 66 possessions

    Please, oh please, explain to me how the offense changed and we started playing faster. I can't wait to hear it.

    Totally makes sense that Sean Miller would change his offense randomly in his 166th game at Arizona. I mean, why wouldn't he???
    He's going to say OT.

    63 possessions the first time we played them.

  29. #29
    Wildcat Fan Azwldctfan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    9,733
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A
    Rep Power
    9219628

    Default Re: Half Court Offense

    Originally Posted by TraneofThought View Post
    Arizona - Utah (you know, the game that apparently forced you to create this thread): 67 possessions

    Arizona - Colorado: 66 possessions

    Please, oh please, explain to me how the offense changed and we started playing faster. I can't wait to hear it.

    Totally makes sense that Sean Miller would change his offense randomly in his 166th game at Arizona. I mean, why wouldn't he???
    Utah game went to overtime though.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    Baltimore Blowfish TraneofThought's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    4,564
    Pick Em Rank
    54
    Rep Power
    7707240

    Default

    Originally Posted by Esq View Post
    He's going to say OT.

    63 possessions the first time we played them.
    Originally Posted by Azwldctfan View Post
    Utah game went to overtime though.
    Utah plays at an average of 65.8 possessions per game. Colorado 68.2.

    Regardless, both of you know the game well enough to know Arizona's offense didn't change.

  31. #31
    Solid Player Twinkie Twin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,354
    Pick Em Rank
    123
    Rep Power
    8474905

    Default

    Originally Posted by arizona_pausch View Post
    You're totally out of your mind if you don't think the offense changed....it was completely different. Wow....
    That's not called changing the offense, that's called hitting shots. Amazing what that does for an offense right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  • Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •