Does Aaron Gordon Need Another Year? Yes!

Pick Em Rank

Default Does Aaron Gordon Need Another Year? Yes!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Default does AG need another year?

Absolutely! And unless Miller gets serious and teaches him how to make free throws, he's going to condemn him to the D-league next year.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by fserna View Post
    Absolutely! And unless Miller gets serious and teaches him how to make free throws, he's going to condemn him to the D-league next year.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...drumman01.html

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

If he is in the the top 10 in the draft he should go. If he's not he should stay. Shaq could never hit free throws either.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Everyone agrees he needs another year, but SHOULD he stay another year.....? NO. If your a top 10 pick you take the money and go. You work on your areas of improvement there..... IF your a top 10 pick. It make good Business sense.

As a slefish fan, yes, please stay, even if your a top 10 pick..... Because I really don't care about you, only about winning and giving the UA their best shot
    "Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
    John Wayne

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by AlwaysBeenACatFan View Post
    Everyone agrees he needs another year, but SHOULD he stay another year.....? NO. If your a top 10 pick you take the money and go. You work on your areas of improvement there..... IF your a top 10 pick. It make good Business sense.

As a slefish fan, yes, please stay, even if your a top 10 pick..... Because I really don't care about you, only about winning and giving the UA their best shot
    Yup! Completely agree

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by fserna View Post
    It's so obvious now. Gordon is missing free throws because Miller isn't a serious coach. Got it.
    HTTFB

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I seriously do not know why this even comes up, even if Gordon slips below top 10 he should go, it's a ridiculous notion that he cannot improve his game and move up WHILE IN THE NBA...I know everyone thinks his free throws should keep him out, and it would benefit us...but honestly...lets look at it realistically...being IN the NBA is the best training FOR the NBA...college only helps a little the majority of the deciding factor is natural talent and ability...the mechanics of his game will change no matter what because he will be funneled into his best potential in the NBA...nothing in college is "better" for that...it is an illusion...

It's a profession folks...yes we expect Doctors and Lawyers to get all the education needed, but honestly we prefer those who have experience IN the field of their profession, not IN the school of their profession...this is no different...if I was Miller I would be encouraging him to go and doing everything to help...and frankly that is exactly what it looks like...

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by AzMarCat View Post
    I seriously do not know why this even comes up, even if Gordon slips below top 10 he should go, it's a ridiculous notion that he cannot improve his game and move up WHILE IN THE NBA...I know everyone thinks his free throws should keep him out, and it would benefit us...but honestly...lets look at it realistically...being IN the NBA is the best training FOR the NBA...college only helps a little the majority of the deciding factor is natural talent and ability...the mechanics of his game will change no matter what because he will be funneled into his best potential in the NBA...nothing in college is "better" for that...it is an illusion...

It's a profession folks...yes we expect Doctors and Lawyers to get all the education needed, but honestly we prefer those who have experience IN the field of their profession, not IN the school of their profession...this is no different...if I was Miller I would be encouraging him to go and doing everything to help...and frankly that is exactly what it looks like...
    If you're seeing the floor then I agree with you. The problem with the NBA is that there are so many games once the season really gets started practice time can be limited, and focus on players who aren't in the rotation is pretty much non-existent.

I'm not saying that Gordon will be in that place, I'm just saying that if you fall into that category then ultimately another year of college helps develop your game far better than being at the end of an NBA roster would.
    HTTFB

Pick Em Rank

Coach Miller

There is no right or wrong answer as to whether AG should go pro after one year of college ball, or stay for a second year. Either way, life goes on and Gordon will be fine as a human being and as a basketball player in either scenario. The thing that is so irksome however, as a fan, is watching how athletically gifted he is, yet how under-developed his skill set is in fundamental areas like shooting and decision-making.

He is still raw, and makes plenty of freshman mistakes on the court. In UA's loss to ASU, Gordon committed two mind-boggling fouls near the end of the game - one on Jahi Carson (trying very pathetically to steal the ball), and one on Bachynski where he mindlessly reached around and grabbed the front of his jersey. Miller was beside himself in bewilderment. ASU received 4 trys at the free throw line because of this (but making only one) in a game that consequently went into 2OT. Fatigue may have been a contributing factor, but still...

I love Gordon as a player - he has tremendous heart - and the Cats are fortunate to have him. I just don't see him getting serious minutes in the NBA anytime soon.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by AzMarCat View Post
    I seriously do not know why this even comes up, even if Gordon slips below top 10 he should go, it's a ridiculous notion that he cannot improve his game and move up WHILE IN THE NBA......
    There is an argument that staying and being THE man at a major program and improving your stock from later lottery to maybe top 3 would HELP the player.

Everyone compares the kid to Blake Griffin - well, Blake Griffin would have been mid lottery if he left as a frosh in 2008. He stayed, improved, and made himself the #1 pick the next season.

I am in NO WAY saying it is better for Aaron Gordon if he stayed - but considering his draft stock is starting to look a little so so (late lottery?) - staying & improving your rep & national notice, making maybe over 2 times the guaranteed $$ the following 3 seasons, and probably ensuring more PT your first 3 NBA seasons before you negotiate your next contract - that might help him.

Also - find ONE NBA guy (even ones that were successful pretty quick) that says he, in retrospect, is glad he declared and got outta college early and started his pro career. They ALL say they should have stayed. Being way too young rookie guy not getting PT/touches/ESPN time/etc isn't all that great compared to being on ESPN a million times as THE college guy everyone raves about. Outside of Michael Carter-Williams for about 2 weeks at the very start of the year and Anthony Bennet (for his suckage) - do ANY other NBA rookies get ANY national pub at all? Will AG as a 19 year old defensive stopper/rebounder on some crap NBA team begging for minutes be on anyone's national radar?

College QBs stayed all the time, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't - and that was when you could get $40 mill guaranteed up front. To think it's a joke for a raw very young but extremely talented athlete might stay and improve his game/confidence/lifestyle/draftstock/future endorsements - well, that seems shortsighted.

Hypothetical - IF AG get's drafted 10th overall this season - will he land nearly as good endorsements than if he stayed and was seriously considered a POY candidate (improved shooter, more mature, more killer O instinct) all season on a top 5 national championship contender and get drafted #3 (or better?) the next season? For certain players - FUTURE $$ could possibly be MUCH bigger if you improve that draft stock and keep your name in the limelight.

It's not nearly as simple as some people make it out to be.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by KSON View Post
    If he is in the the top 10 in the draft he should go. If he's not he should stay. Shaq could never hit free throws either.
    Horrible comparison....

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

And thank you Statman for the insight into this conversation....staying is basically taking a year off his rookie contract as he isn't going to be wasting it improving in hopes that he gets the PT and numbers he needs to really cash in. Best post on this topic so far by far...

Pick Em Rank

What is missing from the discussion is the effect this has on Arizona as a program.

Our recruiting strategy (getting Stanley, having Rondae) are predicated on Gordon leaving and freeing up minutes.

It doesn't look good for our program when a sure fire lottery pick comes to town, plays for the best team in the country, and then has their stock plummet.

Miller needs a one and done in his portfolio that isn't Grant Jerrett. Everyone seems to think having another NBA caliber player will mean guaranteed success. Take a look at Kentucky for how that can pan out.
    "It's all basketball oriented," Aaron Gordon on why he chose Arizona.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Pras View Post
    What is missing from the discussion is the effect this has on Arizona as a program.

Our recruiting strategy (getting Stanley, having Rondae) are predicated on Gordon leaving and freeing up minutes.

It doesn't look good for our program when a sure fire lottery pick comes to town, plays for the best team in the country, and then has their stock plummet.

Miller needs a one and done in his portfolio that isn't Grant Jerrett. Everyone seems to think having another NBA caliber player will mean guaranteed success. Take a look at Kentucky for how that can pan out.
    I completely understand this angle......however what happens if AG (or any other clear OAD in the future) decides he wants and/or needs more experience at the college level and decides to stay another year. I don't think Miller would say "sorry, but you have to go", as I would think that would have a negative impact as well. So what would happen if AG decided to stay another year?
    "I know Ms. Pac-Man is special. She's fun. She's cute. She swallows."

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by El Cunado View Post
    I completely understand this angle......however what happens if AG (or any other clear OAD in the future) decides he wants and/or needs more experience at the college level and decides to stay another year. I don't think Miller would say "sorry, but you have to go", as I would think that would have a negative impact as well. So what would happen if AG decided to stay another year?
    That's a good question! Does SJ go elsewhere, because he has mentioned AG being gone a couple times in interviews?

Pick Em Rank

While the logic makes sense if you're focusing on the program; the truth of the matter is that each player is different. Regardless of what people thought of the player in high school, and how quickly they thought the player may be ready for the NBA, each player takes a different amount of time to develop enough to actually be ready.

In the end it would look far better to have a successful NBA stud come out of Arizona than it would for a player to go before they're ready in order to satisfy opinions based on high school basketball. I'm not pretending to know what's right for AG, I just think the answer HAS to come from looking at this situation in its current reality, and not letting opinions based on evaluations from his high school days have more influence than today's evaluation.
    HTTFB

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Well - we've been told it's a complete given that AG is leaving, so it's all moot.

I thought the debate was hypothetical - whether it was good for HIM to leave now or later.

As for recruiting - isn't AG Miller's one & only "sure fire" 1 & done? I don't really see how his returning would hurt perceptions - Kentucky has had a ton of supposed 1 & done guys "fail" - yet it doesn't seem to hurt them. They would paint it like Marcus Smart anyway - he's returning because he loves the school and wants another championship.

And, as for the team, did RHJ & SJ ASSUME NJ was gone after this season when they committed - like it looks he may? There are so many ways playing time could easily pan out for RHJ & SJ even if AG returned - York/Pitts/Korcheck could transfer, NJ & Zeus could go pro, BA may not be ready to play, etc. We don't know.

It's all hypothetical anyway, it's all debating for fun.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

This is the first year my 7 year old son has really sat down and watched basketball games with me. His first game at McKale was the White Out against UNLV with the chance to become #1 if we won. As a result of that game, Aaron Gordon is his favorite player on the team because in his words "He dunks awesome and plays hard even when his eye bleeds." Love it. So Aaron, getting elbowed in the face probably didn't feel great but you won over a 7 year old! Good luck to Aaron no matter what happens!!!!!!!!!!!!