Playing the bench!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Default Playing the bench!

In Millers press conference he stated that he learned in the ASU game that he needs to play the bench more. Look, I am not the smartest guy or basketball guru but the whole game I was wondering why we didn't see the bench play more especially in the second half. Shouldn't Miller have already learned this by now...

Discuss.

Huntington Beach Honey Badgers cjw2222's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Of course Coach knows this! But here is the problem - we are the best defensive team in the country and right now we need that because of our troubles on offense. As we all know, we are having trouble scoring right now. If one of our bench players comes in and allows his man to score because of a mistake in coverage, that's an 'extra' 2 or 3 points we have to make up. And right now none of the bench players are scoring much, exacerbating the problem.

Coach Miller trusts his 5 starters on defense. He does not trust the next 4 guys (York, Pitts, Korcheck, Mayes) on defense. That is not to say those guys are bad on defense, they just are not as good as the starters. I agree wholeheartedly that York's defense has improved tremendously from last year, that's why he's seeing the court at all this year. And Pitts has made great strides as well. They just aren't at the top level Coach Miller expects from his players on the court. And that's why they didn't play much (if at all) against ASU.

And don't buy into the fatigue factor. The starters averaged less than 30 minutes a game before BA went down so they are still pretty fresh. Playing another 5-10 minutes per game will not run these guys down. Plus, have you seen ANY of our starters look tired at the end of any game this year? They are in fantastic shape and it is the other team that is worn out, not the Cats!

Seattle Silver Foxes Applequest's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Its real easy and positive to say trust and play the bench more, but when they come in there and do so little, its a little harder to do, especially in the 2nd half of a close game.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

A little late in the season to try and develop your bench! This should have been done from the beginning. using the bench now disrupts flow but hey it might work out by tourney time. I just see more losses in the future due to a lack of bench development. Miller really should seek Lute Olson council on such things and swallow his pride! I mean you have a legend in your back yard coach, use him and create value proposition out of the remainder of the season. Just my thoughts!

São Paulo Sour Diesel KansasCityCats's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

I would generally push for Miller to utilize the bench throughout the season. Against ASSU, however, the Cats had a different game plan.

Miller obviously wanted to contain Jahee's and Bachynski with a defensive lineup. The plan was successful, yet the starters couldn't score to save their lives.

Unless the Cats build up a big lead in SLC, I envision Miller using a similar lineup to keep Loveridge and Other Bachynski from earning easy baskets.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Bring them in to shoot free throws. There you go.

Pick Em Rank

Will Miller use his bench more? Doubtful, imo - if we go by his methods in his previous years here. But just maybe, he is now kinda' being pushed into it, with the offense nearing a DEFCON 1 level lately.

Sometimes I forget Miller is relatively young at 45, he is only in his 10th year as a head coach. He's learning too. Also, its not like in the past when players, for the most part, stayed for the full four years. Hard to have bench development when so few stay to get developed.

Miller has always had a short leash, esp if a guy lapses on defense. So, we'll see if he can learn to loosen the reins, and give up a bit of control. And if he does, then the bench guys need to do their part and be productive.
    I always think we're gonna' win

2012 Angler of the Year revodog11's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Well at least Mayes can hit FT's, that alone should get him 30 min.
    The secret to success is knowing who to blame for your failures

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Applequest View Post
    Its real easy and positive to say trust and play the bench more, but when they come in there and do so little, its a little harder to do, especially in the 2nd half of a close game.
    ^^THIS
    "Limits, like Fears, are often just an Illusion" - G.O.A.T

http://www.buzzfeed.com/h2/fbsp/reeb...le-than-a-game

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Ya I understand York was 0-6 in the first half but Is there someone who is shooting the ball any betterP At least he has to be guarded out there opening things up for the inside game. I feel for those guys. Can you imagine how they feel with there coach continually saying the bench is playing really well in practice and they are going to get more time and then splat. There confidence has to be really lacking at this point with the coach who they give there all for in practice having such a lack of faith in them. I doubt they could regain there confidence enough to be of much use this year. Even York who got an astonishingly low amount of playing time against ASU. Pitts who committed a foul on a three pointer and doesn't see the floor again. He is not the only player who has committed a bad foul on a three point shooter this year. You cant win many games with a five man line up which is pretty much what we saw on Saturday and to a novice like me to see it and not our coach...I was just a little surprised and disappointed.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    Ya I understand York was 0-6 in the first half but Is there someone who is shooting the ball any betterP At least he has to be guarded out there opening things up for the inside game. I feel for those guys. Can you imagine how they feel with there coach continually saying the bench is playing really well in practice and they are going to get more time and then splat. There confidence has to be really lacking at this point with the coach who they give there all for in practice having such a lack of faith in them. I doubt they could regain there confidence enough to be of much use this year. Even York who got an astonishingly low amount of playing time against ASU. Pitts who committed a foul on a three pointer and doesn't see the floor again. He is not the only player who has committed a bad foul on a three point shooter this year. You cant win many games with a five man line up which is pretty much what we saw on Saturday and to a novice like me to see it and not our coach...I was just a little surprised and disappointed.
    Astonishingly low? The only reason he got as much time as he did is because Pitts made the egregious defensive error that got him pulled. If not for that, I'm not sure York would have gotten off the pine the entire second half. I didn't see York doing anything to deserve more court time. I'm tired of seeing him play scared. Pitts hasn't surpassed him yet, but I expect it soon unless York starts showing some swagger.

NOTE: I don't wanna hear the tired "How can he be confident if he's afraid one mistake will get him pulled?" excuse. Miller will allow players to miss shots, and make other physical mistakes. But he won't (and shouldn't) permit mental mistakes or laziness. Taking bad shots (regardless of whether you make them), missing a defensive assignment, being lazy ... these are not excusable errors.