Conference Perception

Seattle Silver Foxes Applequest's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Default Conference Perception

Big 12 vs Pac 12, no question right? You have Kansas at the top but Texas, Iowa St, K-State, Oklahoma, OK St, Baylor, all solid teams who have spent quite a bit of time in the Top 25. But wait, lets look at the numbers (Kenpom team rank and rating).

Looking at teams 2-7 in each conference:

27 Iowa St. 0.8655
    29 Texas 0.8542
    31 Oklahoma St. 0.8459
    38 Kansas St. 0.8318
    39 Oklahoma 0.8302
    49 Baylor 0.7998
    Average
    16 UCLA 0.9025
    30 Arizona St. 0.85
    32 Oregon 0.8405
    35 Stanford 0.8384
    42 California 0.8121
    43 Utah 0.8117
    Average

That's right, Pac-12 comes out on top and that's not even considering the fact that Kansas is closer to UCLA than they are to us. Yes, I understand that they have 2 less teams. And I give them credit for the fact that 8 out of 10 teams are fighting for the tournament. But the bottom line is that for all intents and purposes, ISU, Texas, ASU, OK St, Oregon, Stanford, KSU, Oklahoma, Cal, and Utah are pretty much lumped together. I feel like that is far from the perception nationally. Hell, I'm not even sure most people even know Utah still plays basketball.

Pick Em Rank

Great thread, Apps.

I agree whole-heartedly. PAC-12 is getting the shaft nationally, which I think stems mainly for the lack of teams in the top 25. We finally got our second ranked team in a long time this week.

We deserve no less than 5 teams and should be a lock for 6.

Seattle Silver Foxes Don't Pay the Choll Toll's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

you can thank that ESPN contract the Big XII has. We get Oklahoma St. and Baylor in primetime with no other games on tonight. Both teams are like what 4-9 in conference? Both barely on the bubble? When would we ever get something like a Utah Stanford game on ESPN, let alone on primetime. Most of of the AP voters and probably selection committee guys just dont have opportunities to watch anyone other than Arizona or UCLA without really having to go out of their way.

Pick Em Rank

the attention and the credit the big 12 get is just pure garbage. Gaylor and not OK state completely collapse and somehow that means the big12 must be basketball jarusalem. I'm glad the numbers reflect what I have known for sometime now, but I know the selection committee will be gobbling hillbilly big12 wang come selection sunday no matter what the facts/numbers state.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Where is Colorado on that list?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Colorado is #60

Rest of PAC:
    #89 Oregon State
    #116 Washington
    #148 USC
    #189 Washington State

Its weird, we get UCLA only once(the clear second best team in the conference), but the 3 worst also only once.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Colorado has an rpi of 26 and bpi of 45. And have a solid seed in bracketology while Utah is the team struggling with a weak sos.
    Baylor just beat OSU tonight and they have to be fading fast.
    There are still too many games and tourneys for anyone to be comfortable right now.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Colorado has an rpi of 26 and bpi of 45. And have a solid seed in bracketology while Utah is the team struggling with a weak sos.
    Baylor just beat OSU tonight and they have to be fading fast.
    There are still too many games and tourneys for anyone to be comfortable right now.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Most bracketology sites that I have seen as of late have the Pac-12 getting 6 teams in the NCAA tournament as of now - Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA, Colorado, Stanford, and Cal; which is tied for the most with the Big 12, Big Ten, and A-10.

The Pac-12 is a damn good basketball conference this season; we know that. Who cares if ESPN or whoever doesn't recognize it. As long as the tournament committee does, that is what matters.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 View Post
    Most bracketology sites that I have seen as of late have the Pac-12 getting 6 teams in the NCAA tournament as of now - Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA, Colorado, Stanford, and Cal; which is tied for the most with the Big 12, Big Ten, and A-10.

The Pac-12 is a damn good basketball conference this season; we know that. Who cares if ESPN or whoever doesn't recognize it. As long as the tournament committee does, that is what matters.
    You are right, it will just be brutal on selection Sunday with all the ESPN comments about how many Pac-12 got in...prepare for bitchy snarkiness and have your bs meters calibrated...