Pitts

Scandinavia Dirty Pirates dabest1002's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Default Pitts

Is it just me, or does it seem like Elliot Pitts is really important? Right now we only have a 6 player rotation. Quite frankly, that's gonna be unsustainable come tournament time when we play against deeper teams. Based on what we've seen it's crazy to think that he could have a Jordin Mayes vs Texas-type game down. If we could get him to that level, that would make our team much better because we get an extra shooter and wing player (both weaknesses because as much as we talk about AG as a 3, he's playing more like a mobile 4).

Pick Em Rank

That would be awesome, as long as the rest of his career doesn't follow the same track as Mayes'.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I came away from the asu game thinking that Pitts deserves more minutes. Although he didn't score he proved that he can play D (stayed in front of Carson) and was keeping the defense honest with his shooting threat. He also put it on the deck and made a nice move to the hoop that was ultimately followed up by one of the bigs.

Not ready to say he should play over York but what can York do that Pitts can't?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Arizona

Agree that having Pitts become the 7th guy off the bench would be fantastic. Unfortunately that isn't going to happen because Coach Miller does not trust his defense. He was pulled in the last game because he fouled a 3-point shooter. He was too far off the shooter and fouled him trying to recover. A typical freshman mistake but a mistake Coach does not accept.

I would really like to see him in there because he could make a huge difference giving a couple guys a breather. And if he can hit a few shots he'll move ahead of Gabe who is struggling big time right now. It's pretty tough when your hot-shot shooter goes 0-6 in a game!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Good point I forgot about that play. I guess two plays that stuck out to me was Carson shaking and baking while Pitts still stayed in front of him and Pitts' aggressive drive to the hoop.

More importantly though I felt like the spacing on offense was better with him on the floor because the opposing defense had to respect him from 3.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Gordon made 2 bonehead fouls end of that game and even the veteran Nick has been burned by shooters for sliding low or going under screens. Pitts knew he erred. He plays pretty well on both sides of the ball given his low minutes and he has great potential given the chance. 7th man is perfect. Hope to see him in the 15-20 min mark.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I'm ready to play Pitts over York. Put him at the 3 and lets open the game up. His defense has actually impressed me minus the foul on the 3 pointer.

Seattle Silver Foxes Don't Pay the Choll Toll's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by BKam View Post
    I came away from the asu game thinking that Pitts deserves more minutes. Although he didn't score he proved that he can play D (stayed in front of Carson) and was keeping the defense honest with his shooting threat. He also put it on the deck and made a nice move to the hoop that was ultimately followed up by one of the bigs.

Not ready to say he should play over York but what can York do that Pitts can't?
    York is much more effective going towards the basket than Pitts. His floater is sweet and he has good vision in the lane. Idk if Pitts can or cant do those things but we havent seen it yet. We dont need one of these guys over the other, we need both.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by laxcat View Post
    Agree that having Pitts become the 7th guy off the bench would be fantastic. Unfortunately that isn't going to happen because Coach Miller does not trust his defense. He was pulled in the last game because he fouled a 3-point shooter. He was too far off the shooter and fouled him trying to recover. A typical freshman mistake but a mistake Coach does not accept.
    Gotta disagree. The one part of Pitts' game that Miller has praised even before he saw meaningful game action was his defense. Miller rarely heaps that kind of praise on a freshman without justification. It was a bad foul but I don't think it's going to prevent playing time.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Other than the foul on the three point shooter, Elliot played some real good defense against ASU. He's got pretty fast feet on the side to side movement. I just wish he could have got open and launched a couple or three 3's. He does have a nice looking shot. I think by the time the Pac tournament is over he'll be producing some respectable scoring. Sure Hope so. The more weapons the harder it is to guard.

Bear Down Wildcat!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Pitts....YES. We need his length, size, and shooting. His D is coming along very well too. Just a couple of freshman mistakes all the guys have made at one time or another.

Pick Em Rank

hes developing nicely, id take mayes experience though down the stretch
    Twitter: @BeardownBill
    Papadeuce - "Whenever i meet up with kane my wife says to "tell your boyfriend hi for me""
    AztecWildcat - "There are more lawyers than people on this website. Jesus."
    GulfCoastCat - "grapejuice isn't rod?"
    Ryno - "
    ****, I better take a shower before work. I smell like DawgWarrior"
    cjw2222 - "The only thing Rondae can't shoulder shimmy? eeisners sex life"

Pick Em Rank

Great thread.

Pitts could play a huge role if he can see minutes. Similar to York last season, Miller has Elliott on a short leash. One slip-up on defense and he is on the bench (as we saw on Friday).

I personally think that his defense is much better than advertised and he plays as hard as anybody else on the floor. His shot is pretty nice & I think he could contribute if the Cats really need him.

Miller may not utilize him this season, but he could definitely help out along the perimeter if one of our guards gets into early foul trouble.

As far as Mayes goes...I hope he gets a shot & performs in the postseason as he did during his Freshman year. It would be a great story for our only Senior to step up & knock down huge shots as a roleplayer. Hell, SOMEBODY needs to be aggressive on offense.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Believe it or not, I would have liked to see more minutes for Mayes against ASU. He's a very capable defender, experienced, and has shown he may be capable of being some what of a capable offensive player as of late. We know Miller puts a lot of emphasis on practice, so obviously Mayes hasn't been producing in that area as he needs to in order to see increased minutes.

Pitts will play more minutes from here on out. I firmly believe that. Arizona and Coach Miller really don't have any other choice.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Pay the Choll Toll View Post
    York is much more effective going towards the basket than Pitts. His floater is sweet and he has good vision in the lane. Idk if Pitts can or cant do those things but we havent seen it yet. We dont need one of these guys over the other, we need both.
    i havent seen york hit a floater all season. seriously.
    "if you're not bearin down, i dont know whatcha doin"

Pick Em Rank

if you're going to pull a guy for making one mistake AND not let him play the rest of the game...how the hell is anyone supposed to get better? i completely disagree with miller's philosophy (for lack of a better term) in this case. you've got to let players play through their mistakes sometimes. i mean, how is the kid supposed to gain any confidence in that situation? benching a kid for ONE f*ck up isn't going to help at all IMO. it seems to me that will only make the kid play with a focus on not making mistakes, rather than looking to make plays. and that, to me, is nothing but detrimental to the team. give pitts a chance i think he will deliver. he seems to be comfortable on the floor, doesnt seemed rushed, doesnt seem like the game is too big for him, seems more than solid defensively to me. but you have to give homeboy a chance, let him play through a couple mistakes for christ's sake.

meanwhile, it's not like the entire starting 5 is playing flawlessly on either end. TOs, wild drives that result in charges, stupid fouls (*ahem* AG *ahem*), not to mention all the horrendous shooting.
    "if you're not bearin down, i dont know whatcha doin"

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by jmoon View Post
    i havent seen york hit a floater all season. seriously.
    He has hit a floater this year, but it's not as if he does it often or hits it at a high percentage.

Scandinavia Dirty Pirates dabest1002's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

I suggest you turn off the volume before watching this.

If Pitts can have just 1 game sort of like this in either the pac 12 or ncaa tourney, then I'd be more than satisfied. Hell, if Mayes had this kind of performance, I'd be delighted.

Wildcat Fan FourthAndUniversity's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by dabest1002 View Post

I suggest you turn off the volume before watching this.

If Pitts can have just 1 game sort of like this in either the pac 12 or ncaa tourney, then I'd be more than satisfied. Hell, if Mayes had this kind of performance, I'd be delighted.
    DWILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIAAMMMMSSSS baby

Pick Em Rank

Thanks for the Mayes memory. Definitely one of my favorite tourney trips ever (almost got fired for ditching work that week!)