McConnell's assists

Pick Em Rank

Default McConnell's assists

Our offense has clearly been the issue for us this year I think we can all agree on that. Before I say anything plz don't mistake this for a sky is falling and we are so terrible post. Its clear teams are forcing McConnell to be a scorer and not letting him create all the points he does via assist or "hockey assist" where his first pass leads to an easy dump off and score. It doesn't seem to me like he is making the beautiful passes he made earlier in the year as well as it doesn't seem that guys are moving as hard without the ball to set those up. His assist numbers usually directly correlate to how well our offense did on a certain night, while his points really don't reflect that. It seems the more points he scores the more stagnant or well defended or offense was. Clearly teams have made adjustments on him now we need to make ours... and soon.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Spacing, spacing, spacing. When Brash was available, we had spacing on the court as defenders couldn't sag like they do on Gordon and Jefferson. TJ can only do so much. If the guys that were formerly open in the interior are no longer open, where is the assist going to come from? Also, if they don't shoot mid-long range shots or miss them, where do the assists come from?

TJ has to be a scorer now because he's the only one who's demonstrated capability of shooting.

Unless Gordon and Jefferson can start making 2-3 mid range jump shots between them, we will lack the spacing needed for TJ to do his work.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

We all agree that TJ had to change his game from what he was comfortable with his summer. Now with the injury to Ashley, our offense has to change to honestly a more uptempo one. With that in mind, now TJ has to change where how he makes his assists. All of this is a work in progress but a process I believe we will be able to accomplish before tournament time. We have 3 weeks and maybe four with the PAC 12 tournament. I think Miller is such a good coach that come tournament time we will be fine.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Great post Sini. Agree with you completely.

Bear Down Wildcats!

Maui Big Black Howler Monkeys Caz's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

It's more of teams playing zone. Clogging up the paint , where TJ can't break and penetrate the defense.

If we get multiple screens every offensive possession, he may get through at times.
    But again, when he does and kicks it our for a assist, we miss jumpers and other shots.
    That's why I say, why doesn't coach put the ball in Rondae's hands more often. Let him break through the zone. He can create on offense.

Teams will be doing the same thing over and over until Zona can hit shots or get some kind of consistent offense going.
    Air-Zona!!!!
    " I'm just a basketball player, I don't really have a true position. I just play hard on every possession " - Derrick Williams

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

It's also all about MAKING SHOTS.

McConnell's assist numbers have been affected because Arizona's been shooting poorly as of late. When the offense was effective and efficient (albeit with Ashley around), McConnell's assist totals weren't a problem.

When guys begin making shots again, which hopefully is soon, that number will be fine.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I mean, Nick Johnson is 2-24 from 3pt range in the last 6 games. 8%!

6-40 from the field overall which is good for 15% FG shooting.

you have to believe these numbers will improve. They have to and with a vengeance. Those numbers are ludacris

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by moosety2008 View Post
    Spacing, spacing, spacing. When Brash was available, we had spacing on the court as defenders couldn't sag like they do on Gordon and Jefferson. TJ can only do so much. If the guys that were formerly open in the interior are no longer open, where is the assist going to come from? Also, if they don't shoot mid-long range shots or miss them, where do the assists come from?

TJ has to be a scorer now because he's the only one who's demonstrated capability of shooting.

Unless Gordon and Jefferson can start making 2-3 mid range jump shots between them, we will lack the spacing needed for TJ to do his work.
    Nailed it in every sense of the word, well said.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

you have to believe these numbers will improve. They have to and with a vengeance. Those numbers are ludacris
    I think NJ will respond thustly:

People in the way wanna baller block
    Little do they know that I'm callin' shots
    And I'm not to be f****d with
    If you see me comin' 'round the corner, then duck quick, perpetrators can suck d***
    I tried to tell 'em, but they dont wanna listen
    I tried to shine 'em, but they dont wanna glisten.....

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Default Re: McConnell's assists

Those #s are crazy. If he shoots just a miserable 20% from 3 and 30% from the field we are still undefeated and nobody is talking about spacing or any other problems. It comes down to this...Is NJ shooting poorly because he is in a funk or is he shooting poorly because defenses are playing him differently. If A, we are in great shape. If B, SM needs to adjust the scheme.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Or is he shooting poorly because he hits a wall? I don't know the numbers, but sure seems we've been having this same conversation about Bunnies in late Jan. / early Feb. each of his three seasons.

Either way, we need him back quickly. As stated above, if Nick can't shoot, TJ is going to have to. And if TJ looks to shoot first, our offense becomes much less efficient.

We must shoot better from this week until season's end. If it doesn't jump significantly, all other conversations about this season are moot.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Or is he shooting poorly because he hits a wall? I don't know the numbers, but sure seems we've been having this same conversation about Bunnies in late Jan. / early Feb. each of his three seasons.
    http://www.pointguardu.com/showthread.php?t=75448