On NJ's History of Slumping

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Default On NJ's History of Slumping

It's not a perfect analysis, but I was curious to see how NJ played offensively over the course of his three seasons at Arizona. Using points per FGA as a proxy for offensive performance, I charted each game's total to find the trend line.

NJ.jpg

X-axis is just the game number in that season; Y-axis is P/FGA. For those who care, the straight line is the linear best fit, while the curve is the second-order polynomial fit.

His first two years, he was fairly consistent in his slump, hitting bottom around the 20th game. This year, he still seems to be going the wrong direction 25 games in, but hopefully we'll be able to look back in a few weeks and see that ASU was the trough. If not, we have a serious problem.

surrounded by an army of 2. Which i created...
    Pick Em Rank

Default Re: On NJ's History of Slumping

Well done. It sucks to see a confirmation if what we already knew. Ugghhh

Sent from my SCH-I110 using Tapatalk 2

Pick Em Rank

To be fair, this year he started his slump at around game 20.

So, his slump started later, and will most likely end later, in the same amount of games?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Not exactly the trend you want when you're on the fringe about departing for the NBA early...

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by JS Esq. View Post
    It's not a perfect analysis, but I was curious to see how NJ played offensively over the course of his three seasons at Arizona. Using points per FGA as a proxy for offensive performance, I charted each game's total to find the trend line.

NJ.jpg

X-axis is just the game number in that season; Y-axis is P/FGA. For those who care, the straight line is the linear best fit, while the curve is the second-order polynomial fit.

His first two years, he was fairly consistent in his slump, hitting bottom around the 20th game. This year, he still seems to be going the wrong direction 25 games in, but hopefully we'll be able to look back in a few weeks and see that ASU was the trough. If not, we have a serious problem.
    Great job.

Funny, my wife was just telling me I need to start incorporating charts & graphs and such to better illustrate points I make - since many people are visual. I told her I know she's right, I just never get around to taking the time and doing it. 5 minutes later - BAM, this thread appears. Reiterates her point.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

NJ.jpg

Here's an updated edition, using 3rd order polynomials for better granularity.

First one is through ASU game. Second one, with clear trend-line reversal, is through Colorado.

Oh, what a difference a week makes!

Pick Em Rank

Definitely agree with 1st two years pattern, but didn't Nick suffer a slight wrist injury about the time his slump started?
    "Its a good day t​o be an Arizona Wildcat." -- "Its always SUNNY in Tucson."

Pick Em Rank

Well lets hoping his slump his past him this year.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye