Does Aaron Gordon Need Another Year?

Pick Em Rank

Default Does Aaron Gordon Need Another Year?

Pick Em Rank

didn't want to post on main page....if guaranteed lotto pick then yes you go pro...otherwise if you're not going to start right away you stay in school

I'm also not sold his free throws will improve...they looked horrible in the red/blue game and have stayed horrible. free throws are not hard. if it is mental then you may want to get your mental game under control BEFORE the NBA

now if he feels he can't get the help he needs with his shot in college then that's another story and concerning for our coaches

Pick Em Rank

He's 18/19. I was a head case at 18, and probably still am.
    Twitter: @BeardownBill
    Papadeuce - "Whenever i meet up with kane my wife says to "tell your boyfriend hi for me""
    AztecWildcat - "There are more lawyers than people on this website. Jesus."
    GulfCoastCat - "grapejuice isn't rod?"
    Ryno - "
    ****, I better take a shower before work. I smell like DawgWarrior"
    cjw2222 - "The only thing Rondae can't shoulder shimmy? eeisners sex life"

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by KippAZCat View Post
    didn't want to post on main page....if guaranteed lotto pick then yes you go pro...otherwise if you're not going to start right away you stay in school
    Did you read the article? Forget reading the entire article; did you even read the first three paragraphs???? His decision has NOTHING to do with whether he'll start right away! If he's a lottery pick, he needs to go regardless of whether you or I or Ace or the NBA thinks he's ready.

Would he get better here with another year, or two, or three? Of course. But that's true of virtually every player in the draft. The NBA drafts on potential, and Gordon's potential remains sky-high.

Where did you get this supposition that lottery picks necessarily start immediately?

Pick Em Rank

Anthony Bennett says hi. Guaranteed lottery but hasn't seen the court much. And he was a much better player than AG is in college. Nothing more irritating than hearing people say if they're guaranteed lotto they HAVE to go. No one HAS to go. If you leave early and you're not physically ready or mentally ready or game ready then you are making a mistake and should stay til you're ready IMO. The NBA is going to weed out the pretenders. Scouts will drool over a kid's "potential" but if that potential never becomes results they'll chew you up and spit you out. Of all the frosh AG is the least game ready and should stick in school so he doesnt become an answer to a trivia question later on regarding lotto busts.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I love AG, but all I read is potential, potential, potential......why does everyone seem to think his potential is "sky high" after watching him this season? Sure he'll improve but how the hell do we know his potential is what everyone likes to think it is? Honestly, right now he may be the one guy the other team wants to have the ball....struggling to make anything outside 5-7 feet and can't make a FT so you just foul him...I see it affecting him big time. If he has the potential then HE needs to show it soon, and there is nothing anyone can say or do to help him get it...

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by thecatsmeow View Post
    Anthony Bennett says hi. Guaranteed lottery but hasn't seen the court much. And he was a much better player than AG is in college. Nothing more irritating than hearing people say if they're guaranteed lotto they HAVE to go. No one HAS to go. If you leave early and you're not physically ready or mentally ready or game ready then you are making a mistake and should stay til you're ready IMO. The NBA is going to weed out the pretenders. Scouts will drool over a kid's "potential" but if that potential never becomes results they'll chew you up and spit you out. Of all the frosh AG is the least game ready and should stick in school so he doesnt become an answer to a trivia question later on regarding lotto busts.
    Marcus Smart sure is utilizing an extra year.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by _BOGIE_ View Post
    Marcus Smart sure is utilizing an extra year.
    THIS!!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Most important line in the write up.

" If Ashley's heart-breaking injury taught us anything, it's how quickly everything can be taken away from you as a player"

If they want him that bad, he needs to go.
    "Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
    John Wayne

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

All he needs to do is improve his jump shot out to 15 feet and he can be added to any lottery teams rotation year one. The NBA training camps don't start until the end of September. That means he has the second half of February, and all of March, April, May, June, July, August, and September to develop a shot out to 15 feet. Other than his jump shot is there any non selfish reason that people think this kid "needs" to stay in school? Too much doom and gloom.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Not just one more, but two more years if not all 3!

Seattle Silver Foxes Don't Pay the Choll Toll's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Right now he has way more to lose than gain by coming back. Whats his best case scenario? He comes back, stays healthy plays just as hard, shows ability to consistently knock down mid and 3 pt jumpers, and moves up maybe 2-4 spots? Worse case? He comes back, shows he still cant hit a jumper or, god forbid, gets hurt and drops like a rock to mid 1st to early 2nd. It happens all too often (Marcus Smart and Mitch McGary are obvious examples just this year). Its a different conversation if hes a late 1st round pick, but hes much higher than that right now.

I want him to come back for my own selfish reasons, but leaving is in his best interests whether or not hes ready to contribute right away.

Pick Em Rank

If he's lottery he should go and from all accounts he's just that, whether he's ready or not. I don't buy the Smart and McGary comparisons though, he's not mentally handicapped (Smart) nor is he very prone to injuries (McGary), but regardless if you're lotto you always go.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Seeing kids go early is a shame. Both college and the NBA would benefit from having more mature and proven players. I can't see the NBA preparing you for life, but college can. Straight out of high school or 3 yrs of college. If its about the money and you are ready, then go get it. If you value education, then go to school. But if a player can't get drafted and wants to finish college, why not let him? Just don't give him a scholarship to come back. I will always vote for education first but, Aaron, trust your gut and your family. No one else has made the journey with you. Bad things can happen whether anywhere at anytime and the decision to stay or go isn't going to change that. No regrets.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Gordon is gone...the risk of injury, the influx of new players and olds returning...and even if he stayed another year, it would not guarantee anything at all...first rounds always go or end up regretting it...we should wish him well, his motor and work ethic will insure he does well in a few years...yes he needs work, but the NBA and college hoops are two different beasts...no matter how much he improves he will need to be retrained for the big dogs...

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Seeing kids go early is a shame. Both college and the NBA would benefit from having more mature and proven players. I can't see the NBA preparing you for life, but college can. Straight out of high school or 3 yrs of college. If its about the money and you are ready, then go get it. If you value education, then go to school. But if a player can't get drafted and wants to finish college, why not let him? Just don't give him a scholarship to come back. I will always vote for education first but, Aaron, trust your gut and your family. No one else has made the journey with you. Bad things can happen whether anywhere at anytime and the decision to stay or go isn't going to change that. No regrets.
    AG doesn't need college to prepare him for life. The purpose of college is to get students paying jobs (even though students themselves might not realize this), and AG is going to get a high paying job this summer. An NBA team would have drafted him out of high school if not for the early entry rules. AG appears to be extremely mature anyway.
    "Riding quasars all the way to the top of the mountain" - Bill Walton
    "#Shouldershimmythempeoples" - Kevin Durant

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    AG doesn't need college to prepare him for life. The purpose of college is to get students higher paying jobs (even though students themselves might not realize this), and AG is going to get a high paying job this summer. An NBA team would have drafted him out of high school if not for the early entry rules. AG appears to be extremely mature anyway.
    I don't know what the breakdown is for guaranteed money over the next three years for a lottery pick is, but I'm guessing it is somewhere around 3 million a year??? I think I'd learn how to make a jumper with 10 million guaranteed duckets in my pocket! Throw in a nice little shoe deal because everytime you play they show you doing some sick alley-oop. Now you are up to 13 million. What college degree is going to pay you that over your lifetime? Then if they "chew you up and spit you out", you have 13 million dollars to start the rest of your life with. Matt Leinart comes to mind when thinking of someone who should have gone. He stayed, it still didn't work out, and he lost about 30 mil in the process! I wish he would stay because I want our team to be even better next year, but if you are a for sure lottery pick GET THAT MONEY SON!!!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

He needs another year, he's not going to stay...but he is falling down the big board. Realistically how far down would he have to fall for him to think about staying?

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by arizona_pausch View Post
    He needs another year, he's not going to stay...but he is falling down the big board. Realistically how far down would he have to fall for him to think about staying?
    That is an excellent question! I wonder...

Pick Em Rank

I don't think there is a wrong answer to this question, pretty much every expert says he's a lottery pick so ill take their word and say he should go. If he stayed, it's not like he'd be the first lottery pick to chose to stay, I'm going to enjoy watching the rest of this season we are guaranteed to have him though and hope he makes a swing in the positive direction free throw wise. If he can shoot even 60-65% then he could probably average 16-18 a night pretty easily

Huntington Beach Honey Badgers soazbnb's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Hello Anthony. How are those paychecks flowing?

Signed, Brandon Ashley

Originally Posted by thecatsmeow View Post
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up, that's the best they're going to feel all day - Frank Sinatra