Who's better? Stanley or Aaron?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Flag Navy Who's better? Stanley or Aaron?

First time poster here. For those people who have seen Stanley Johnson and Aaron Gordon up close and personal, I was wondering who you think is better overall.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I REALLY hope it is Stanley.

Pick Em Rank

SJ will bring a whole different component to this team offensively next year. i'm very much looking forward to it.
    "if you're not bearin down, i dont know whatcha doin"

Pick Em Rank

Tough to say different style games, both are going to be remembered as some of the greatest wildcats ever
    Twitter: @BeardownBill
    Papadeuce - "Whenever i meet up with kane my wife says to "tell your boyfriend hi for me""
    AztecWildcat - "There are more lawyers than people on this website. Jesus."
    GulfCoastCat - "grapejuice isn't rod?"
    Ryno - "
    ****, I better take a shower before work. I smell like DawgWarrior"
    cjw2222 - "The only thing Rondae can't shoulder shimmy? eeisners sex life"

Huntington Beach Honey Badgers TruRedBlue13's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Stanley - can shoot and hit FTs. Better handles.
    Honor the process, don't expect everything to be handed to you. Be about the team and the greater good for all. Go Honey Badgers!

Seattle Silver Foxes Don't Pay the Choll Toll's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

glad to see everyone has thrown in the towel on aaron. smh

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Pay the Choll Toll View Post
    glad to see everyone has thrown in the towel on aaron. smh
    Exactly what I was thinking. Yes Gordon needs to work on his free throws but he brings a much needed big who plays D and rebounds well.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Don't think you can compare the two. AG motor is second to none of any Wildcat I have seen and his D as a Big is tremendous. Yes his shooting has a LONG way to go, but I wouldn't trade him for SJ. Yet I wouldn't trade SJ for AG either because of his skills.... Can we just keep both?

Question, is there any chance AG stays to win a NC if the CATS come up short this year? He comes off as a kid who just might..... Hey a guy could dream. Of course than we have to deal with time between players.
    "Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
    John Wayne

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I haven't seen Stanley play in person, just the highlight videos. Still I think it would be hard to compare Aaron to Stanley or vice versa without seeing Stanley play college ball yet. His potential based on his high school play is obviously very high. But there have been lots of young men who were expected to be college superstars who didn't quite live up to expectations. It looks like he will be a great collegiate player but I don't think we'll know 'till we know.

Pick Em Rank

I don't think it would be fair to try and compare the two them even as an overall prospect.

If we are talking about right now then it's Stanley.
    If we are talking about who has the higher ceiling then it is by far Gordon and that would give him the nod for the best overall talent.

Imagine someone like Gordon who is 6'9 with his game NOW and a jumper that is consistent out to 15 feet?
    Stanley is a baby-Lebron type of player BUT he can only get so much better because he is a true SF and he plays like one.
    Gordon is combo-forward that could be a NBA SF but imo would be best off at PF and playing the combo role the way Derrick has been in Sacramento.
    But the impact and the way the both of them are going to be used for us during their tenure here are going to be different because the team is going to be different.
    Marcus Garvey,MLK,Malcolm X,Joe Louis,Rosa Parks,etc..
    All these men & woman and several more African-Americans helped paved the way to allow me to chase my dream and to pursue greatness,to sit in the same classroom as those whose ancestors thought they were more superior than mine..

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by HSP View Post
    Tough to say different style games, both are going to be remembered as some of the greatest wildcats ever
    You're going to list AG as one of the greatest wildcats ever......? Is this ranking based solely on ranking coming out of high school or....?

sorry...but no.
    "if you're not bearin down, i dont know whatcha doin"

Pick Em Rank

They're better at different things.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by HSP View Post
    I'm with Jmoon on this one, calling AG one of the greatest wildcats ever is a huge stretch...especially based on what we have seen of him so far this season...

40 minutes of fun for us, 40 minutes of pain for you. ARIZONA WILDCATS BASKETBALL.
    "On my deathbed, my final wish is to have my ex-wives rush to my side so I can use my dying breath to tell them both to go to hell one last time." - Ron Swanson

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Gordon haters wow sad day very sad day.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Regardless if Gordon can't shoot very well, he's quite possibly the best defender I've ever seen at Arizona. Reggie Geary being number 2 on the list, with Nick closing ground quickly.

Pick Em Rank

Stanley is a better scorer than Aaron.

Aaron seems better at every other facet of the game.

Next year, we're going to be begging for defense. This year we're begging for offense.

Pick Em Rank

completely different players, Id say AG is a better rebounder and defender at this level, SJ is more polished offensively, both are guys you would want on any team

Pick Em Rank

All I gotta say is I'm looking forward to a lineup that could feature TJ, NJ/York, Stanley, BASH & Zeus with Victor, Allen and PJC off the bench.
    AIR GORDON

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by ArizonaSting View Post
    All I gotta say is I'm looking forward to a lineup that could feature TJ, NJ/York, Stanley, BASH & Zeus with Victor, Allen and PJC off the bench.
    I really hope Ashley is himself by seasons start. A lot of speculation about that, none of it is productive - but it is what it is.

If Ashley is able to start the season and is developmentally where he was prior to injury, we will have the best starting front court in the nation by a significant margin.

York as a Junior or Nick as a Senior is a great situation. If we get nick back, we pair our incredible front court with easily the best backcourt in the nation.

So many moving parts and ifs, it's an exercise in futility at this point, but it is sure as hell fun to think about.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

SJ is far and away the far superior offensive player, Ag's motor is hard to beat, but defense can be learned much easier than offense. (Defense is a frame of mind few players from high school possess). Trading SJ for AG will actually help us, as we will have more offensive weapons and Miller will teach him to play defense, trust me on that. No way NJ is back, so will need more offensive weapons. Pulling for this year's team to pull out of the funk, but next year's team will be damn good. Bear Down

Pick Em Rank

How many of you saw both play in high school, live, more than once or twice?

I don't mean to poo-poo this discussion since it was started by a newer member, but it seems to me like most people here have no clue what they're talking about. If you made this thread 2 months ago, it would have been wildly different despite the fact that nothing has truly changed since then. Fans' perspective of young players goes basically whichever way the wind is blowing. Case in point with Aaron Gordon.

If SJ struggles in his first months as a Cat, are we gonna start a "Who's better? Stanley or Tyler?" thread?

To answer your question, Aaron Gordon is the better player and he doesn't even have a jumpshot. That should tell you everything. Much love to Stanley, but besides shooting and ball-handling he's got nothing on AG. There's a lot more to being a player than those 2 skills. They're obviously different players, but when it comes to who's the overall better player, AG does more on the court, is bigger, more athletic, higher ceiling.

If Gordon was making free throws, I doubt this is even a question.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by catshoopfan View Post
    but defense can be learned much easier than offense.
    Gotta disagree on that one, and I think I can give you way more real life examples than you can give me.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Don't Agree. Defense all effort and desire. Offense requires a lot more than skills. I do agree both can be learned/coached. But I have a had time believing O is easier than D.

Scandinavia Dirty Pirates Wildcat Dad's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Thinking Stanley is better than AG at this point is like when in the NFL the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team, unless you have Brady or Manning.

And I think both defense and a jump shot can be taught. DWilll improved his shot vastly year 1 to year 2. Whichever coach worked with DWill should take AG under his wing.

As far as defense it takes a coach who is committed to it and players willing to do the work. The Bulls and Pacers in the NBA are examples of coaches committed to D and if a player wants PT the better play team defense.

Pick Em Rank

Rankings mean absolutely nothing, but here's one way of looking at this topic:

If Stanley were in the 2013 class, he'd likely be close to the 15-20 range. If AG were in the 2014 class, he'd be the #1 player.

Fuzzy No-Nosed Chimp OnlyHalfPepper's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A

There's a difference between being an AG hater and stating that he isn't one of the greatest Wildcats ever. He's a huge part of this team's success and unforgettable season, and brings a lot to the table despite his offensive shortcomings at times... but one of the greatest? Not yet from what I've seen.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Aaron has proven a winner whatever he does. He has a ways to go but he is still very young. We have had years to reflect on the greatest Wildcats ever. In reflection 5 years from now, he will be judged more fairly than right now be that good or bad. He is invaluable to this team and way more than a one trick pony. He has been a key focus for every defense but no one can ever say he dissappears.

I really hope and think Stanley will be a great Wildcat, but he needs a few accolades and some college games before being able to compare him to Aaron.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    They're better at different things.
    Bingo.

If you could combine the two players, holy moly.

Gordon is the better defensive player, rebounder, and athlete...Johnson is the more skilled offensive player.