Kudos to Coach Miller...

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Default Kudos to Coach Miller...

Miller made one crucial decision during the Colorado game that may have altered the outcome. Certainly, it contributed significantly to the final margin of victory, if nothing else.

At 17:17 on the clock in the second half, with Arizona staked to a precarious 6-point lead, Aaron Gordon picked up his third foul on an overly aggressive hedge. Many - if not most - coaches would sit a player in that situation. But Miller stuck with Gordon, and it paid off. It was a gamble, make no mistake about it. If AG had picked up his fourth foul in the next few minutes, he would have sat much of the rest of the game. But Coach Miller trusted his freshman(!) and it paid dividends. Whereas most players would have sat until about the 10:00 minute mark after picking up their third foul so early in the half, AG scored 9 points in the same interval, and after the last breakaway highlight-reel dunk at 11:07, the Cats led by 16 and the game was well on its way to becoming a blowout.

Just wanted to point this out, for those who don't understand how difficult it is to coach in-game situations, and how decisions about whether to keep a player in or take them out can have drastic consequences one way or the other. Against Colorado, Coach Miller trusted his player, and the rest is history.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

he did the same thing with rondae when he picked up his 4th foul too

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

This is sketchy. It didn't work against utah when gordon fouled out with 8:41 left to play. Luckily we won that game so it wasn't talked about too much but he got lucky against colorado, especially with all the questionable fouls aaron commits/seems to pick up.

Wildcat Fan Shallow be thy game's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A

As much as I love AG I am not sure how much of a gamble it actually is. End game situations during close games AG quickly becomes a liability because of his freethrows. He brings great D and rebounds but you cannot count on him at the line. Keeping him in with foul trouble is not going too far out on a limb and conversely taking AG out and saving him for the end is almost further out on a limb than letting him play through foul troubles even if he does foul out. The Utah game probably showed AG very quickly how to NOT foul out.

I personally think AG is a perfect player to leave in with foul trouble not only for his own personal growth but for the success of the team as well. He was a big reason why we continued to schtomp CU which pushed the game out of reach by the end which means his freethrows would play no role in the outcome of the game.
    "Come on, that was no foul! It may be a violation of all the basic rules of human decency, but its not a foul.
    -Bill Walton

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I'm a fan of the move, even when it doesn't work out like in Utah.

First, from what I've seen, aggressive defenders can often take a play or two to get warmed up, and they're most prone to foul right as they come in. That, or they play too passively. It takes at least a play or three to get used to the speed of the game in college. Thus, by taking them out, you might end up losing more time from them rather than less.

Second, Wouldn't you rather have the maximum amount of minutes from someone like Aaron Gordon and have him foul out early, than sit him for too long, have him end up with four fouls, but play him four minutes less than he could have contributed?

No, I'd rather see a coach stick with the normal rotation.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Shallow be thy game View Post
    As much as I love AG I am not sure how much of a gamble it actually is. End game situations during close games AG quickly becomes a liability because of his freethrows. He brings great D and rebounds but you cannot count on him at the line. Keeping him in with foul trouble is not going too far out on a limb and conversely taking AG out and saving him for the end is almost further out on a limb than letting him play through foul troubles even if he does foul out. The Utah game probably showed AG very quickly how to NOT foul out.

I personally think AG is a perfect player to leave in with foul trouble not only for his own personal growth but for the success of the team as well. He was a big reason why we continued to schtomp CU which pushed the game out of reach by the end which means his freethrows would play no role in the outcome of the game.
    AG shot 2-2 from 3PT. He also shot 1-3 from the FT line. Perhaps he should shoot his FT shots from the 3PT line? Is it legal to shoot FT shots from the 3PT line, our would that just be showing off?

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by desertdink View Post
    AG shot 2-2 from 3PT. He also shot 1-3 from the FT line. Perhaps he should shoot his FT shots from the 3PT line? Is it legal to shoot FT shots from the 3PT line, our would that just be showing off?
    I think you have to be in the semi-circle, but you could be further back in it...
    HTTFB

Wildcat Fan Shallow be thy game's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Three words....
    "Come on, that was no foul! It may be a violation of all the basic rules of human decency, but its not a foul.
    -Bill Walton