Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Improving the McKale experience

Stereotypical Asian Guy AztecWildcat's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Default Improving the McKale experience

Hey PGU people

As many of you know renovations are under way or planned for McKale.

Architectural amenities aside, I was wondering what services you think could also be added or changed to improve your game day experience before and during the games at McKale.

Also, what kind of technology you have see else where you think would be cool?
    Last edited by AztecWildcat; 02-14-2014 at 01:34 PM.
    I blame ESPN, PAC-12 Network, Larry Scott, East Coast Bias, Direct TV, Dish Network, The Honda Center, PAC-12 Refs, and Mark Lyons

Pick Em Rank

Hot chicks in lingerie dancing in cages everywhere would be nice.

Pick Em Rank

Taco Shop.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

50 cent beers? Seriously though, as an out-of-towner I haven't been a regular in a long time, but the experience hasn't changed in the 25 years I've been going to games. Not necessarily a bad thing - always had kind of a classic 80's vibe to it - it's about the basketball which is kind of what I like. I suppose you could do more with concessions/merchadise for purchase - maybe retro gear or something, that's not $25/hat and $55/shorts?

The one time I ever got to go into the bowels of the stadium was for the Middle School Spot Shot Shootout, and of course I thought that was awesome - I'd like to see an updated museum/exhibit that fans can easily go through and see trophies and pictures and unis and stuff. Is that what they built on the North side already? Sorry it's been awhile...

Pick Em Rank

Luxury boxes, alcohol, courtside student section, hot tubs, lazers, an actual wildcat, outdoor big screen, roombas, the bread from beyond bread, more lazers, and yeah: strippers.
    If God isn't a Wildcat fan, then why do I bleed Red and Blue?

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by YoDeFoe View Post
    Luxury boxes, alcohol, courtside student section, hot tubs, lazers, an actual wildcat, outdoor big screen, roombas, the bread from beyond bread, more lazers, and yeah: strippers.
    I'm pretty sure none of this will happen.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Suites would be money. Going over board, club level would be legit too.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Wcatsbball4lyfe View Post
    I'm pretty sure none of this will happen.
    So you're saying there's a chance.....YES!

Pick Em Rank

What about non-Architectural improvements?

For example better ways of handling traffic before or after games or ways of getting fans to chant louder?
    I blame ESPN, PAC-12 Network, Larry Scott, East Coast Bias, Direct TV, Dish Network, The Honda Center, PAC-12 Refs, and Mark Lyons

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by AztecWildcat View Post

For example better ways of handling traffic before or after games or ways of getting fans to chant louder?
    Well the concourses are getting a major renovation, so that should help the earlier part.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by arizona_pausch View Post
    So you're saying there's a chance.....YES!
    A real fat one.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

When you say traffic are you referring to pedestrian traffic or cars/parking? I would hope architecturally a renovated arena would facilitate fans not being nuts to butts on the concourse during halftime and before the game, but as for getting in and out I'm not sure how much you can do with McKale's location for auto traffic...I think the ramps are good for getting in the actual building - maybe a "Grand staircase"-type idea would be cool. Sorry that's still architectural.

As for crowd-involvement it's hard - maybe certain sections can be designated in certain ways..."always in blue" or something like that, I don't know. Without the Ooh-Aah Man I'm lost in that department. I still think McKale is ridiculously loud for big games, and you wouldn't want to "Artificially" create noise I don't think...

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by COWildcat View Post
    When you say traffic are you referring to pedestrian traffic or cars/parking? I would hope architecturally a renovated arena would facilitate fans not being nuts to butts on the concourse during halftime and before the game, but as for getting in and out I'm not sure how much you can do with McKale's location for auto traffic...I think the ramps are good for getting in the actual building - maybe a "Grand staircase"-type idea would be cool. Sorry that's still architectural.

As for crowd-involvement it's hard - maybe certain sections can be designated in certain ways..."always in blue" or something like that, I don't know. Without the Ooh-Aah Man I'm lost in that department. I still think McKale is ridiculously loud for big games, and you wouldn't want to "Artificially" create noise I don't think...

Both. I just want to get a good discussion of ideas that perhaps don't require Greg Byrne asking for millions from boosters.

Pick Em Rank

As an AZ fan, what's the best way to improve the McKale experience?

Never lose another game there.
    I always think we're gonna' win

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

What they've already done and what's planned look good to me. What I'd like to see most is outside. Those parking spaces in the multi-level are WAY TOO narrow. I have a full size pickup and it's really hard to get in and out of without dinging the vehicle next to you....and I worry about dings in my truck every time I park there.

Oh, I almost forgot....they should roast Scum Devils at half-time. Not to eat, just to have fun roasting them!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I think I read in the AZ Star that the band doesn't play Bear Down anymore??? I'd bring that back. That and beer.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by MassCat View Post
    I think I read in the AZ Star that the band doesn't play Bear Down anymore??? I'd bring that back. That and beer.
    WHAT?! Thats absurd. And beer- yes.

Can someone explain to me what the hell the cheer squad is singing after the games? Im almost certain that wasnt going on during my time in Tucson.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by YoDeFoe View Post
    When ASU comes to town, the stripper part does happen.

Pick Em Rank

Raises for the assistant coaches

Pick Em Rank

Some things I have thought about recently:

1) A more more exciting intro video. I know it didn't highlight much for them, but the ASU video was pretty stimulating. Some sweet music with slow-mo highlights, etc. Changing it up a couple time per season would be great too. I have been to every home game this season and no longer get goosebumps during the video. Getting goosebumps gets me pumped.
    2) I would like to hear the music a bit louder.
    3) Make the Truly Nolan blimp come to the top of section D17. It has never happened.
    4) That rotating "A" logo on the video board is not animated smoothly. It jitters though the frames. Not a huge deal, but it does look pretty crappy on such a new and beautiful screen.
    5) Some more player stats on the video board. I like to see season numbers like FT%, etc. Maybe we don't show it for a reason, but it is one thing I enjoy about watching the game at home.
    6) Better nacho cheese. Match it up against the Que Bueno brand and you will see what I mean.
    7) Better popcorn. I bought a refill bucket at the beginning of the year. I refilled it once. The popcorn tasted horrible both times.
    8) Organize the concession stand lines a bit. It is a complete free-for-all with lots of cutting etc.
    9) Better quality hot dogs. I would definitely buy one every visit if they were more like Costco wieners. Bought one once, now I completely avoid them.
    10) Lids that fit the refillable cups without leaking... please.
    11) Announcer states what the each foul is for rather than just name and foul. People in the crowd are frequently confused about what the player did to get the foul.
    12) Pick males to win the Wells Fargo prize. I have only seen it once... maybe twice this season. I could be wrong on this one.
    13) Heal Brandon Ashley's foot before the beginning of the tournament season.

I will keep thinking and post more later if I come up with anything.

Pick Em Rank

Definitely a court side student section.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by dtread7 View Post
    Yeah, I was at the Cal game, and it was pretty cool how they had it set up.

Seattle Silver Foxes Don't Pay the Choll Toll's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

I haven't missed a home game in 8 years . We need more excitement. First and foremost a more prominent student section. I'd sacrifice quantity for quality on the court. I think cal had a DJ? That's awesome. Luxury boxes are desperately needed. Updated concessions and bathrooms. Just more excitement in general. Too many games I go to are just boring

Pick Em Rank

Alcohol's never going to happen because that change needs to come from the NCAA first.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by dtread7 View Post
    yup

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Flag Navy Improvement

Personally, I would like a row (front row of a/every section) that is up high enough above the section directly in front so I don't have to stand up when everyone else does and still see all the action. I'm lazy I guess. But that is the row that I would always try to sit in if it existed.
    Tucson Sam

Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack. Sun Tzu

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

It's starting to feel more like an NBA atmosphere than a college one. Every TO there is some kind of Jack Furrier "Kiss your furry man cam" and other BS. The band hardly plays anymore and it really kills the crowd when the other team calls a TO and then we go to the kiss cam.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Kwantum View Post
    Some things I have thought about recently:

1) A more more exciting intro video. I know it didn't highlight much for them, but the ASU video was pretty stimulating. Some sweet music with slow-mo highlights, etc. Changing it up a couple time per season would be great too. I have been to every home game this season and no longer get goosebumps during the video. Getting goosebumps gets me pumped.
    2) I would like to hear the music a bit louder.
    3) Make the Truly Nolan blimp come to the top of section D17. It has never happened.
    4) That rotating "A" logo on the video board is not animated smoothly. It jitters though the frames. Not a huge deal, but it does look pretty crappy on such a new and beautiful screen.
    5) Some more player stats on the video board. I like to see season numbers like FT%, etc. Maybe we don't show it for a reason, but it is one thing I enjoy about watching the game at home.
    6) Better nacho cheese. Match it up against the Que Bueno brand and you will see what I mean.
    7) Better popcorn. I bought a refill bucket at the beginning of the year. I refilled it once. The popcorn tasted horrible both times.
    8) Organize the concession stand lines a bit. It is a complete free-for-all with lots of cutting etc.
    9) Better quality hot dogs. I would definitely buy one every visit if they were more like Costco wieners. Bought one once, now I completely avoid them.
    10) Lids that fit the refillable cups without leaking... please.
    11) Announcer states what the each foul is for rather than just name and foul. People in the crowd are frequently confused about what the player did to get the foul.
    12) Pick males to win the Wells Fargo prize. I have only seen it once... maybe twice this season. I could be wrong on this one.
    13) Heal Brandon Ashley's foot before the beginning of the tournament season.

I will keep thinking and post more later if I come up with anything.
    Do you think you would pay a little bit extra for better tasting hot dogs or food in general?

Have you ever tried using espn, yahoo sports, or whatever your favorite sports app during the game?

Pick Em Rank

Also does anyone ever have problems using 4G or 4G LTE during games?

Pick Em Rank

The death of "Nice Shot Buddy" on the first missed FT by an opponent. It sucked 20 years ago when I was a student and it still sucks.
    "I know Ms. Pac-Man is special. She's fun. She's cute. She swallows."

Seattle Silver Foxes Don't Pay the Choll Toll's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Also does anyone ever have problems using 4G or 4G LTE during games?
    McKale has to have the WORST cell reception. Me and my buddies we joking about how great our phones worked at Wells Fargo because no one is at the games there.

Also, I would like to see the clown that has the 80's getup and face painting removed forever. He is the worst.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast