Phoenix press point of view

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Arizona State Phoenix press point of view

ASU vs. UofA basketball:Jermaine Marshall’s return, visiting fans set to make difference in rematch

SeanMiller

Photographer: Shane Dale, abc15.com
    Copyright 2014 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may notbe published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    From Phoenix's ABC-15 affiliate

Posted:02/11/2014
    Last Updated: 15 hours and 1 minute ago

• By: Shane Dale, special for abc15.com

It happens every year: thousands of Arizona Wildcat basketball fans infiltrateWells Fargo Arena for UA basketball’s annual matchup with ASU in Tempe.

Considering the success enjoyed by this season’s Wildcats, who were ranked No. 1 nationally for eight straight weeks earlier this season, there should once again be plenty of cardinal red in the stands for Friday night’s sold-out matchup against the 18-6 Sun Devils.

UA head coach Sean Miller said the support away from McKale Center is something that few teams in college basketball enjoy – and he said it makes a difference during games.

“We’ve been in Madison Square Garden playing Duke (on Nov. 29), and we heard our fans. We’ve been at San Diego State in an unbelievable environment in November; we heard our fans. We hear them every place we go,” he said.

“I think part of what they remind us of is how special it is to be a part of this program. Very few programs have the home court we have, but I would even go as far as to say maybe as many as three, four, maybe five in the country have fans wherever they go on the road attend the games. But it does make a difference.”

The Wildcats’ well-traveled basketball fan base is one reason they’re 7-1 away fromTucson this season, including victories over three teams currently ranked inthe AP top 15.

But ASU has enjoyed a sizeable home-court advantage of its own this season. The Devils are 13-1 at Wells Fargo Arena – their only loss coming in their Pac-12 opener against Washington – and they were lifted by one of their largest, most vocal crowds of the season in Saturday’s 74-72 win over Oregon for their fifth overall victory in their last six games.

ASU center and reigning Pac-12 Player of the Week Jordan Bachynski is hopeful that the gold-clad fans will outnumber and out-vocalize the Wildcat contingent on Friday.

“It’s going to be huge,” he said. “That’s the home-court advantage, the energy that our fans bring, and they’re doing a phenomenal job.

“It makes it so much more fun to play when it’s loud. When we make a big play and the whole arena explodes, it is such an amazing feeling, and I love it. I am so grateful that we have the fans that we do that are coming out and being loyal and staying the whole time and just doing – no other word for it, just a phenomenal, a great job. It’s fun to play in.”

Bachynski was held without a field goal in ASU’s first meeting with UA this season, a 91-68 Wildcat win in Tucson. Miller expects a more difficult challenge on Friday from Bachynski, partly due to the return of Sun Devil senior guard and second-leading scorer Jermaine Marshall, who missed the first meeting with a groin injury.

“Maybe not having Marshall, it put more pressure on him,” said Miller of Bachynski’s struggles in their first meeting. “You didn’t have to account for (Marshall’s)16 points per game from the perimeter.

“This game will be much more difficult because they have another shooter on the court. But Bachynski seems to get better as his career unfolds, and I don’t know if he’s ever been playing better. We really have our hands full.”

UA junior guard and leading-scorer Nick Johnson said he’s ready for the challenge of guarding Marshall on Friday.

“We were actually really looking forward to playing against him. I was looking forward to guarding him,” he said.

“We pretty much know his game and what he’s going to do. He’s a great pace-changer from (ASU guard and leading scorer Jahii Carson) going to the rim and attacking. He’s more of a shooter, so we’re definitely looking forward to playing ASU at their full strength, and just going from there.”

Johnson, a Gilbert native, is also looking forward to seeing plenty of folks in the stands wearing red on Friday – including people close to him.

“It’s definitely a big game for us because it’s our next one, but definitely it feels good going home,” he said. “I’m going to have a lot of friends and family at the game, so it’s going to be a good one.”

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Johnson guarding Marshall?

Why would Arizona all of a sudden decide to not have Johnson defend Carson?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I can't wait till tomorrow. I'll be lower level sporting the Cardinal Red! GO CATS!

Honey Badgers Rookie The Stairmaster's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Arizona never has an away game, we always have a UA crowd everywhere we go.
    Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    When I stood next to Stanley I didn't feel like a man.

Pick Em Rank

Maybe Nick's faking out the asu coaching staff.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 View Post
    Johnson guarding Marshall?

Why would Arizona all of a sudden decide to not have Johnson defend Carson?
    Last game Marshall didn't play, so Nick was the obvious guy to defend Carson. With Marshall playing it may not make as much sense to pull Nick off the shooting guard to defend Jahii...

In any case I suspect he'll be on both of them at different times.
    HTTFB

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

This time around, we're Man down, while asssu is at full strength. If we stay out of foul trouble, and shoot above 45% it should be a good win.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Its not said, but TJ will have a huge job gaurding Jahii. We all know he can handle it though. He came out the beginning of the year like a mad-man on defense and I haven't seen the same tenacity out of him recently. I feel like TJ has gone through a little rough patch as of late on the distribution side as well, at lease compared to what we have been seeing all season. He played well against OSU but dipped a little at Cal and against Oregon. He had been averaging over 6 assists a game up until the last 6 games where he has averaged about 3 a game. Maybe its the pressure of putting up more shots but I am hoping we see a big assist game out of him soon.

My wife has been good enough to let us spend our Valentine's at Wells Fargo arena so we'll be there to attempt to talk basketball with ASU fans who have no idea what is going on in the college basketball world other than the emergence of Jordan Bachynski...and maybe kick someone in the face if they want to get tough.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I think Nick on Jahaha and Rondae on Marshall would be fun to watch also. But then who would TJ guard? There's got to be an opening somewhere though as I'd bet Aaron is going to help Zeus on a double team of Bachynski.

No matter who does what, I trust that Coach Miller will have things in hand and make any position switches to make sure the Wildcats win.

It should be a great game though. This is the perfect time of year to deflate the egos of the Sun Devils. They are starting to think they're going to the NCAA and show the world how great they are cause they've won games they shouldn't have. Now that they have 3 players who can score. The odd part is that from what I've seen of their games, Bachynski is getting a lot of his blocks because a lot of drivers seem to want to do the undoable by driving in and scoring over/around Bachynski, who just waits there and swats the ball away. If they pulled up a few feet short of him and shot they'd probably have a LOT more success. Well, we'll see.

Bear Down Wildcats!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

One of the interesting parts of this game is that Coach Miller and the ASU coach knows each other and each other's game. So the deciding factors should be which team can do what their coach wants better and which coach can come up with a new twist the other isn't expecting. On both counts I think the Wildcats have the upper hand. From what I've seen I believe Coach Miller can adjust team play better during the game and the Wildcats have more than two or three good players and can make the plays the coach gives them better than the Sun Devils. JMO

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by titan4wildcats View Post
    I think Nick on Jahaha and Rondae on Marshall would be fun to watch also. But then who would TJ guard? There's got to be an opening somewhere though as I'd bet Aaron is going to help Zeus on a double team of Bachynski.

No matter who does what, I trust that Coach Miller will have things in hand and make any position switches to make sure the Wildcats win.

It should be a great game though. This is the perfect time of year to deflate the egos of the Sun Devils. They are starting to think they're going to the NCAA and show the world how great they are cause they've won games they shouldn't have. Now that they have 3 players who can score. The odd part is that from what I've seen of their games, Bachynski is getting a lot of his blocks because a lot of drivers seem to want to do the undoable by driving in and scoring over/around Bachynski, who just waits there and swats the ball away. If they pulled up a few feet short of him and shot they'd probably have a LOT more success. Well, we'll see.

Bear Down Wildcats!

TJ can guard that blonde piece of crap. All he does is stand around the 3 point line anyway.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    Last game Marshall didn't play, so Nick was the obvious guy to defend Carson. With Marshall playing it may not make as much sense to pull Nick off the shooting guard to defend Jahii...

In any case I suspect he'll be on both of them at different times.
    Johnson defended Carson last year, too.

I suspect Johnson defends Carson and either Gordon or Rondae (most likely) defend Marshall.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 View Post
    Johnson defended Carson last year, too.

I suspect Johnson defends Carson and either Gordon or Rondae (most likely) defend Marshall.
    Its a different team with Marshall. I'll take that bet that our starting PF does not guard the opposing 2 guard, but I could see TJ on McKissic, Nick on Jahii, and Rondae on Marshall.

Pick Em Rank

Does Bachynski seriously think they will have a home court advantage for this game?? The only reason it sold out was because of OUR fans. We will invade McKale Center North like we always do and the U of A chants will quickly and easily overpower their fear the spoon chants.

And another thing: does Shane Dale seriously think that ASU even has a home court advantage besides the opposing team's fear of being spit on? They average 58.7% attendance (6,317 out of 10,754). Yeah that half full home court is really something to be afraid of. I'm surprised they can even fill all of the 942 student seats (I wouldn't be surprised if they've failed on many occasions).

Just a note: I'm not sure I'd call Shane Dale "the Phoenix Press". He is a UA grad who wrote the book on the territorial cup. He does reside in Phoenix but he'll always be a Wildcat.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by ZonaZoo2014 View Post
    Does Bachynski seriously think they will have a home court advantage for this game?? The only reason it sold out was because of OUR fans. We will invade McKale Center North like we always do and the U of A chants will quickly and easily overpower their fear the spoon chants.

And another thing: does Shane Dale seriously think that ASU even has a home court advantage besides the opposing team's fear of being spit on? They average 58.7% attendance (6,317 out of 10,754). Yeah that half full home court is really something to be afraid of. I'm surprised they can even fill all of the 942 student seats (I wouldn't be surprised if they've failed on many occasions).

Just a note: I'm not sure I'd call Shane Dale "the Phoenix Press". He is a UA grad who wrote the book on the territorial cup. He does reside in Phoenix but he'll always be a Wildcat.
    He's probably not allowed to speak the truth

"Our fans suck, we can't even sellout this dump of an arena unless we're playing the best school in the State. Ugh."

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I think you guys are looking at this wrong. It isn't so much how we match up with them, but that they CAN'T match up with us. No way Jordan can handle AG and Tarc. I expect NJ to have a break out game, because none of their guards can handle him. TJ might as well work for a soup kitchen the way he will be feeding all of his team mates. RHJ is the wildcard, and they really haven't seen him. I expect a highly charged game, and Both Carson and JB will get theirs, but the bottom line, they can't match up with us.
    "Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
    John Wayne

Pick Em Rank

We are wearing BLUE for anyone attending.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by G2Martinez View Post
    I can't wait till tomorrow. I'll be lower level sporting the Cardinal Red! GO CATS!
    Official twitter told fans to wear Blue (just like the team is)
    Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor, the accountant. Probably a great golfer... huge ass.

Pick Em Rank

IMO we should always travel in red
    Twitter: @BeardownBill
    Papadeuce - "Whenever i meet up with kane my wife says to "tell your boyfriend hi for me""
    AztecWildcat - "There are more lawyers than people on this website. Jesus."
    GulfCoastCat - "grapejuice isn't rod?"
    Ryno - "
    ****, I better take a shower before work. I smell like DawgWarrior"
    cjw2222 - "The only thing Rondae can't shoulder shimmy? eeisners sex life"

Maui Big Black Howler Monkeys DoubleJ's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

I think some people are underestimating the Sun Devils here. Very strong season and maybe playing their best of late. I think it's a 50/50 game that will come down to little things like front ends of 1-and-1's, etc. I look for the combination of TJ-NJ-RHJ to defend ASU's backcourt fluidly. Let's see if RHJ's defense is as good as advertised.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by cmcgowan702 View Post
    Official twitter told fans to wear Blue (just like the team is)
    Luckily I have polos for both. I'll be sporting ALL blue tomorrow! BEAR DOWN!

Huntington Beach Honey Badgers TruRedBlue13's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Bring your blue rain jackets and spittoons...ASU is going to be spitting up something and it won't be a victory.
    Honor the process, don't expect everything to be handed to you. Be about the team and the greater good for all. Go Honey Badgers!