Double edged dig by ESPN

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Default Double edged dig by ESPN

ESPN ripped both AG and DWill in the same article...

Arizona freshman Aaron Gordon -- No. 7 on Chad Ford's Big Board update today -- brings some intangibles to the court that maybe some other big-name combo forwards from previous years didn't, so it's not entirely fair to lump him in with guys like Derrick Williams or Anthony Bennett. However, we've seen how difficult it has been for Williams and Bennett to adjust at the NBA level, and there are some similar concerns when it comes to Gordon.

Like the others, he's undersized, with a 6-foot-9, 225-pound frame that might seem better suited for small forward than power forward, and the fact that he's a super athlete and solid passing big man also supports a future at the 3. The problem is, Gordon's shooting and perimeter game are nowhere near where Williams or Bennett were at when they left for the pros.

Bennett's freshman year at UNLV: (202-379) 53.3% FG, (36-96) 37.5% 3PT, (124-177) 70.1% FT
    Williams' sophomore year at Arizona: (226-380) 59.5% FG, (42-74) 56.8% 3PT, (247-331) 74.6% FT
    Gordon this season: (114-242) 47.1% FG, (8-27) 29.6% 3PT, (46-110) 41.8% FT

It's hard to imagine those type of shooting numbers translating well for Gordon early in his pro career, and unless he makes marked improvement in that department he probably will have to play power forward by default.

That's concerning because he's played almost exclusively at the 3 with Arizona this season. And when tasked with playing power forward last week following the season-ending injury to Brandon Ashley, Gordon struggled offensively from all areas of the floor.

He shot 4-14 against Cal, finishing with 8 points. Then he followed that up with a 6-point showing against Oregon, going 2-5 from the field and a dreadful 2-11 from the line. He did better in his last game, scoring 17 points on 8-12 shooting in a win over Oregon State, but the overall deficiencies in his offensive game are undoubtedly a concern for NBA personnel and talent evaluators.

If Gordon is going to have to play the 4 at the next level, he's going to have to get much better around the basket. According to Synergy, he has averaged 0.833 points per play in offensive rebound/put-back situations, which ranks in the 16th percentile among all NCAA players, and his 0.652 PPP in post-up situations fares little better (21st percentile).

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Thinking this is fairly accurate. May not be pro Wildcat-but spot on. Me thinks Gordon needs another year of college ball, although it will not happen. He and his family have made it clear from day 1 that he is 1 and done. Remember his comments when he committed? AZ should CELEBRATE because "I" committed here. How much more of a D-Bag comment could a "player" make?

I wish him well, I just dont see it boding well for him after rookie contract. Maybe thats all he and his family are looking for?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I've said once, and I'll say it again....Gordon is NOT ready for the NBA. He needs a lot of work, not just on his shot, but also from a mental aspect. I'm not talking basketball IQ, I'm talking about psychologically. For a kid who makes "at least" 70 free throws a day to be converting only 42% in games, there is obviously something there he doesn't have the psychological maturity to overcome yet. Sure some team will draft him in the first round, but I think he gets drafted higher, and has more success in the NBA if he comes back for AT LEAST one more year. Steve Kerr said it best when asked about Gordon, and I agree with one of my favorite Cats and former NBA Champion and GM, Gordon would benefit from testing the draft waters, so to speak, get valuable feedback, but ultimately return to college basketball next year.

Pick Em Rank

doesnt matter if he's ready or not, they take players based on potential, if you can go 1st round you usually go, only way he stays is if he can get into the lottery by doing so, which is possible, the other good thing is he doesnt appear to need the money, but then again, they just watched ashley have a sever injury that could alter his future.

tough to see that and not go pro when you have the chance
    Twitter: @BeardownBill
    Papadeuce - "Whenever i meet up with kane my wife says to "tell your boyfriend hi for me""
    AztecWildcat - "There are more lawyers than people on this website. Jesus."
    GulfCoastCat - "grapejuice isn't rod?"
    Ryno - "
    ****, I better take a shower before work. I smell like DawgWarrior"
    cjw2222 - "The only thing Rondae can't shoulder shimmy? eeisners sex life"

Pick Em Rank

I don't see the dig, by all accounts, DWill hasn't come close to what a lot of people thought he was capable of and AG is a top 10 pick despite having major shooting deficences, sounds legit to me

Pick Em Rank

Who wrote this pile of dribble?
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

Pick Em Rank

Its a mix of stats because of the mix of positions that Gordon has played. Hasn't shot the ball well compared to DW and AB? Those guys played PF/C for their teams and got very high percentage looks. Same goes with putback / around the basket play - AG has been playing on the perimeter because we have (had) Brash and because of AG's stated desire to play the three in the NBA.

And then you look at last game, where Gordon is back to his old position at the four and did an excellent job getting clean looks and converting them into buckets. Its not a mystery. The guy has historically relied on scoring around the bucket. He's back there now and his numbers will buoy.

What I'm saying is that Gordon is doing something that the other guys the author compares him to never did: he is trying to transition in the NCAA to a new position before he gets a look at NBA playing time. The stats aren't equivalent. But the concern remains: the guy needs to learn to shoot better, especially from the foul line, if he wants to succeed as an NBA 3. Its not an ominous warning - its a known concern that Gordon and Miller have proactively attacked.
    If God isn't a Wildcat fan, then why do I bleed Red and Blue?

Pick Em Rank

pretty accurate
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr5sogzd4j1qfd3x7.gif

I am the one who knocks....I am the Danger!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by HSP View Post
    doesnt matter if he's ready or not, they take players based on potential, if you can go 1st round you usually go, only way he stays is if he can get into the lottery by doing so, which is possible, the other good thing is he doesnt appear to need the money, but then again, they just watched ashley have a sever injury that could alter his future.

tough to see that and not go pro when you have the chance
    I seriously doubt Ashley's injury will play into the Gordons decision. To think that they were unaware of the possibility of injury prior is naive. Truth is that what happens between now and the last game will determine if AG stays or goes. If he can start hitting his shots and or is a lotto he will go. If not he should stay, first round isn't good enough IMHO. Personally I think he is very young and if I were his parents I would want him to stay in college another year for a lot of reasons.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by pop zeus View Post
    Remember his comments when he committed? AZ should CELEBRATE because "I" committed here. How much more of a D-Bag comment could a "player" make?
    Yes, I remember... a little differently than you do.
    For the sake of accuracy...
    ""I hope Tucson is celebrating because I'm about to be a West Coast Wildcat,"
    A word or two, especially out of context can become very misleading. I don't know Aaron Gordon personally but based only on watching as a player in HS and college he seems like a good person and team mate and not a "D-bag."
    "You're ruining the private forum."
    -ACE

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Catbus View Post
    I don't know Aaron Gordon personally but based only on watching as a player in HS and college he seems like a good person and team mate and not a "D-bag."
    I do know him personally, and you are correct. Gordon is the consummate teammate and a very positive locker room presence, in addition to being a humble, polite kid. People forget he's actually a year younger than most frosh, but way more mature as a person.

There are plenty of valid criticisms of Gordon's game, but so far I haven't heard a single valid criticism of his character.
    Last edited by aaa; 02-11-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Pick Em Rank

Thinking this is fairly accurate. May not be pro Wildcat-but spot on. Me thinks Gordon needs another year of college ball, although it will not happen. He and his family have made it clear from day 1 that he is 1 and done. Remember his comments when he committed? AZ should CELEBRATE because "I" committed here. How much more of a D-Bag comment could a "player" make?

I wish him well, I just dont see it boding well for him after rookie contract. Maybe thats all he and his family are looking for?
    How much more of a D-Bag comment can someone make?

Pick Em Rank

I could show you, but I would be banned...

Originally Posted by rigormortis View Post
    How much more of a D-Bag comment can someone make?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Pop zues, Gordon aside, I'm really impressed in the way Zues is developing offensively. His hands seem better, and I love the feed Gordon gave him for the 7 foot face up jump shot. Could u tell us the prospect of Zues extending that jumper to about 10-12 feet? I think if he can show a consistent Mid range game, that's just another dimension to the team and to his game.

Also, I think this years team is doing an infinitely better job at getting Zues the ball down low, but I also see how he's not getting the ball because of the way defenses sag off Gordon and Jefferson to help weak side. I watch the struggle on TJ's and NJ's face with wanting to throw that ball down there with the fear that the weak side defender is ready to pounce as soon as that ball leaves their fingers.

this is why I would love to see zues pop up to about 10 feet for a jumper.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Thank you Catbus for setting the record straight. We've had D-Bags at Arizona before, cough, cough (Marcus Williams). But AG didn't say what Papa Z said he said and has said and done all the right things. Part of his charm as a player is his team first attitude. He seems to be all about winning and not about look at me.

Pick Em Rank

So.... AG is the new whipping boy????????
    Dude is the most unselfish freshman focus player ever!!!!!
    Seems to have a good family that will decide what's best for him! If it were my kid I would let him decide and get him the best advice! If it were me and I was a lottery pick I am GONE!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

If Gordon was a D-bag type of player...he would shoot as much as he could to finish with 20 plus points a game...I love his hustle and when he came back from getting elbowed by BrAsh after getting stitches said all I needed to know about him!

Walking the the thinnest line, between the bright and dark sides of my mind
    Pick Em Rank

Aaron Gordon has done very little to earn the type of disrespect that some of these posters are showing towards him. Does he have issues right now? Sure. Jabari Parker, went through his spell and Joel Embiid is now going through his, albeit in a different manner. Now add the fact that he's being asked to do even more with out Brash…

Freshmen, no matter how hyped they are, are still freshmen - Prone to the ups and downs of adjusting to the game at different intervals and levels. Aaron has done more than his fair share to get this team to where they are currently at and should be praised for his efforts. We can only hope that his maturation will see us through well into March and playing in April. Until then, hope that Aaron can eventually steady his free throw attempts and become more confident in his shooting - we're going to need all of it!
    "Nastiness is required" - Sean Miller, Coach, University of Arizona

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I love AG....Didn't the same website that posted this call him Adam or some crap like that earlier in the year, I don't think to many people working there know to much about him or better yet watched him play.

Pick Em Rank

I love Aaron's game, his hustle, intensity and unselfishness. From what I can see from his play and comments, he is about as "un-Dbaggy" a kid as we've had here particularly for somebody coming in with all that hype. To me, he doesn't look ready to be an effective NBA player at this time. As others have noted, the NBA drafts on potential, which he has a world of. But does he develop that potential best getting sporadic minutes in the NBA, or by playing another year of college ball? Not to mention all the other factors. I don't think any of us is qualified to give that opinion. I totally agree with DenverCat, he should go to the NBA evaluations, like guys like Jason Gardner and Solomon Hill did, and get their feedback. One of the few things the NBA does right for these kids. Then I hope he makes the decision best for him.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    Pick Em Rank

Wow Pop this comment makes me embarrassed to even be from the same state as you, if you are indeed commenting from good old Claremont, NH. It's almost as if you haven't watched a single game this year, and have only seen ESPN highlights (since THEY are the ones who only show AG highlights when recapping games).

Man you're salty all the time. Live Free or Die, but cmon man don't live so free that you make comments like that...

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

You wish him well? How can you wish him well when you just made a completely false accusation against his character and style of play? I'm sorry but this was probably one of the most disrespectful things I have seen on PGU because of how out of context your quote was AND because of how AG has contributed to the team on the court, in the locker room, and in practices. NJ stated when he came to town he was txting him and asking him what he could do to fit into the team. When you have a TOP FIVE recruit coming into a program with that kind of attitude and play with as much heart as he has, it is awe inspiring! Just disgusting to have a 'fan' make a comment like that. Are you even watching the same team as the rest of us?

Pick Em Rank

ugh... I thought we were done responding to pop zeus.
    If God isn't a Wildcat fan, then why do I bleed Red and Blue?

Pick Em Rank

OH what did Zeus do to deserve this kinda pop...

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by WildcatYuma View Post
    So.... AG is the new whipping boy????????
    Dude is the most unselfish freshman focus player ever!!!!!
    Seems to have a good family that will decide what's best for him!
    Couldn't agree more. Miller raves about how AG behaved during the recruiting. Announcers talk about what a polite kid he is. One of my new co-workers refs local basketball games up here in the Bay Area. He knows Aaron's family, and has nothing but the highest praise for them. Can't believe an alleged 'Cat fan would be talking crap about this particular kid.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

The things you dont know, and I care not to post.

Never said the kid doesnt play hard. Playing hard and BEING a player are two entirely different things though. I know short fat kids that play hard.

Thats why I can criticize him but also wish him well. If he can get over himself and out of his own head he certainly has GREAT potential.

Who here thinks that going and playing against men is going to benefit him in these regards? Just another pitfall of the "frosh phenom" syndrome.

Its all part of the mega money making machine the NCAA and NBA have become. Chew em up and spit em out.

Gordon should go when he is ready to contribute and be successful and not one day before. And thats for himself and his family.

Pick Em Rank

Cannot argue with that at all.
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr5sogzd4j1qfd3x7.gif

I am the one who knocks....I am the Danger!

Pick Em Rank

I don't consider the article a rip at all. I's pretty darn accurate