Keep it classy ASU, way to show your colors...

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Default Keep it classy ASU, way to show your colors...

Apparently a student spit on trainer and assistant coach...I remember the days with Lute and Bill they would never allow this kind of stuff...the student lost his season tickets...but really now this was completely uncalled for:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...udent-spit-him

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I just read this...

Arizona State has earned its reputation for classless fans. When former NBA great, Steve Kerr, played for Arizona, his father the President of the American University in Beirut was assassinated during the basketball season. Our first game after the murder was against the Sun Devils. They chanted "where's your daddy" whenever Kerr had the ball.
    I hate them even more now...

Huntington Beach Honey Badgers Arizona's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by vivarizona View Post
    I just read this...

I hate them even more now...
    yeah man, it doesn't get much worse than that.
    _A R I Z O N A_

Nastiness is Required! BTFD

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

There was also a PLO chant in that ASU game. That was absolutely uncalled for.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-03-..._arizona-state

This incident was so cruel and appalling to me as a young child, I knew I would never have any respect for their program.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by AZPuffins View Post
    http://articles.latimes.com/1988-03-..._arizona-state

This incident was so cruel and appalling to me as a young child, I knew I would never have any respect for their program.
    WOW thanks for finding that!
    Twitter: @BeardownBill
    Papadeuce - "Whenever i meet up with kane my wife says to "tell your boyfriend hi for me""
    AztecWildcat - "There are more lawyers than people on this website. Jesus."
    GulfCoastCat - "grapejuice isn't rod?"
    Ryno - "
    ****, I better take a shower before work. I smell like DawgWarrior"
    cjw2222 - "The only thing Rondae can't shoulder shimmy? eeisners sex life"

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Yeah, that incident about Kerr's father was atrocious. For a while after that they "acted" civilized, but apparently you can't take the crap throwing monkeys out of the zoo. You'd think since they're playing better than they have for quite a while, they'd at least act like decent sports fans. Go figure.

Pick Em Rank

I mean are we really surprised by this?!? They had better not try this **** with us. I'll go ape ****! lol
    THIS IS ARIZONA

Pick Em Rank

I remember hearing about the Kerr / asu story. That is as bad as it gets.

Pick Em Rank

This just puts a surge of hatred through me... I remember hearing about the kerr story and became absolutely sick to my stomach. In no way should this ever be done, even if the two dont "get along"

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Here was an article that ran in the ASU student paper in 1997, written by a native Tucsonan who got his M.A. at ASU.

Sun Devils in Glass Houses. . .
    Arizona State University State Press, 1997.

Now that the passions have died down concerning the University of Arizona's miraculous basketball endeavors, I would like to take a critical look at a couple of myths that swirl around the two major Arizona universities. Word around campus is that Sun Devils are supposed to "hate" the U of A basketball team for two reasons. Primarily, they are our "arch rivals." Many students also point to the regrettable behavior of U of A fans during the football game last fall.

On the second point, I must warn my fellow Sun Devils that it is dangerous to judge an entire school by the actions of a handful of students on a single day. Otherwise, we are vulnerable to being judged the same way. ASU basketball fans are particularly vulnerable to this charge, given an ugly incident that occurred a few years ago. Let me review it, for those of you who are new to the state.

Arizona point guard Steve Kerr was the most popular Wildcat of all time. He was loved not just for his incredible 3-point shooting that made him a second-team all-American in 1988, but also because of the pain he endured during his five years as a Wildcat.

Many basketball fans remember the excruciating injury that caused him to miss the entire 1987 season, but fewer remember the tragedy that befell his family his freshman year. The day of a conference game, he found out that his father, an American diplomat in Beirut, had been assassinated. Amazingly, he decided to play anyway. He cried throughout the game, but still managed to contribute to the team's effort. Over the next five years, Tucson residents fell in love with hard-working, kind-hearted point guard.

Now fast-forward to 1988, the year the Wildcats rose to national prominence. Before their February game at Arizona State, Kerr was warming up with his teammates. Four or five ASU students yelled at Kerr from the stands. When they got his attention, they proceeded to taunt him for several minutes: "Hey Steve, where's your father?," and so on.

Kerr later said that it took every ounce of his restraint not to jump into the stands and attack the ASU fans. Instead, he channeled the energy into the game, hitting his first five 3-point attempts as Arizona beat the Sun Devils by 45 points. Arizona fans, however, were not so forgiving. I recall a Tucson columnist using the incident to criticize all Sun Devils, pointing out that ASU fans similarly taunted Wildcat baseball coach Jerry Kindall when his wife died of cancer. My point is, be wary of using a single incident to judge Wildcats or Tucson residents, lest you be held to the same standards.

Regarding our supposed rivalry with the U of A, I must point out that perhaps we are exaggerating its scope a bit. Surely, no one can exaggerate the football rivalry, which certainly stands as one of the most exciting and bitter in the nation. Its upsets, memorable plays and bowl implications are too numerous to count.

The same cannot be said for basketball, however. Please, do not think that I am in any way attacking the ASU basketball team. Despite the bad luck that has befallen the program, Bill Frieder has made vast improvements in its quality from the pathetic Patterson days. I sincerely hope that we become a national powerhouse soon.

But over the last 15 years, the Wildcats, the occasional upset notwithstanding, have dominated the games. To Wildcat fans, UCLA is their arch rival. I know this may upset Sun Devil fans, but if you consider that Arizona and UCLA have won every Pac-10 title since 1986, you can understand their point. Who can forget Sean Elliott's amazing baseline shot to send their 1988 game into overtime? The U of A and ASU simply have not had games of such high drama.

Overall, I must say that our campus, and especially community, have been quite classy regarding the U of A's success. When we give in to the understandable urge to attack them, however, we should find better justifications for doing so than the fallacies that I discussed above.

Pick Em Rank

where did you find that??
    Twitter: @BeardownBill
    Papadeuce - "Whenever i meet up with kane my wife says to "tell your boyfriend hi for me""
    AztecWildcat - "There are more lawyers than people on this website. Jesus."
    GulfCoastCat - "grapejuice isn't rod?"
    Ryno - "
    ****, I better take a shower before work. I smell like DawgWarrior"
    cjw2222 - "The only thing Rondae can't shoulder shimmy? eeisners sex life"

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Hope these assistants get tested for STDs.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I had to go to archive.org to pull the text, but I knew it existed because I know the author.

Pick Em Rank

I would have loved to read the replies to that article.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

Old Pueblo Peyote Poppers ZonaZoo2014's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

ASU fans have denied it online many times but Steve Rivera reported in his book "Tales from the Arizona Wildcats Hardwood" that ASU fans actively mocked Lute in a game in 2004 with regards to Bobbi's death. Not sure what the true story is but I'd like to think if Rivera put it in a book that it is true (then again I'd like to think ASSU fans would have more class than that).

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by ZonaZoo2014 View Post
    ASU fans have denied it online many times but Steve Rivera reported in his book "Tales from the Arizona Wildcats Hardwood" that ASU fans actively mocked Lute in a game in 2004 with regards to Bobbi's death. Not sure what the true story is but I'd like to think if Rivera put it in a book that it is true (then again I'd like to think ASSU fans would have more class than that).
    Not only that, but their student paper made comments about Bobbi that year. The ASU president issued a public apology and the piece was pulled from their website. It is absolutely, 100% true. (I believe it was the year that Lute famously pointed at the scoreboard in response to their comments aimed at him.)

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/...ole-22544.html

1:57 - The girlfriend just slapped me for an inappropriate comment directed at Lute Olson. She did warn me about saying anything about the coach's late wife before the game, but who listens to their girlfriend? Wait, don't answer that.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by aznemesis View Post
    Not only that, but their student paper made comments about Bobbi that year. The ASU president issued a public apology and the piece was pulled from their website. It is absolutely, 100% true. (I believe it was the year that Lute famously pointed at the scoreboard in response to their comments aimed at him.)

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/...ole-22544.html
    I had never read that before. What an idiot.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

So I heard that after the game ASSu students stormed into the hallway and chanted Brandon Ashley until real cops arrived and cleared them so our players could exit safely to the ride...anyone else hear this?
    Last edited by AzMarCat; 02-15-2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Pick Em Rank

I heard it on Twitter.
    "If you want what you've never had, you have to do what you've never done." -- Thomas Jefferson

Huntington Beach Honey Badgers Arizona's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by AzMarCat View Post
    So I heard that after the game ASSu students stormed into the hallway and chanted Brandon Ashley until real cops arrived and cleared them so our players could exit safely to the ride...anyone else hear this?
    Also liked how ESPN cut away to ASU students getting kicked out constantly through out the game. ASU is the worst fanbase in the nation.
    _A R I Z O N A_

Nastiness is Required! BTFD