Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Stagnant O.

Wildcat Fan, I am azfansincebirth's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Default Stagnant O.

we won, cant complain about that. Yet it feels more like oregon gave it away. We need to gel with this new rotation immediately or it could be an early exit in the tournament.
    Theres good, and there's ARIZONA good..
    The difference is VAST

Pick Em Rank

Feed Zeus because he's hungry.
    "Fool me once, strike one...but fool me twice...strike three." Michael Scott

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I think it was important to just get the W tonight. We build upon that. Really liked Pitts' game tonight. Surprised to see no Korchek whatsoever. Liked that we had only 7 TOs. Lost on the boards, admittedly, but a LOT of those were long crazy deflections. We beat them on the offensive glass, which is significant. Obviously free throws are killing us. We had 15 more attempts tonight. We make 7 or 8 more shots, it's a comfortable win. AG has to get his head straight. More than free throws, just everything. Looks completely out of whack and devoid of any confidence. A mortal freshman after all. Like to see a 10+ point win against OSU before we head out for 5 of 7 games on the road.

Wildcat Fan, I am azfansincebirth's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Zeus is ineffective anywhere more than a foot away from the basket on the offensive end..
    And i see AG cant make a 3, but is he also uncomfortable taking 10-15 ft shots ? They're giving him those shots and he wont even take them

Pick Em Rank

nobody can shoot

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Getting the W was potentially huge if the team can build on tonight. If they can't improve much it will be a short season as all games will be difficult and the team will wear down.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

There was an article that was titled what did Arizona lose when they lost Ashley.

There's four possibilities. Offense Defense Rebounding Heart.

The Wildcats still have heart.

They better get the other three back by Sunday. Oregon State will come in here real hungry. And then the Wildcats have to play Utah and Colorado on the road. I really hope Coach Miller can get them to play better than they did tonight.

Come on Wildcats....Bear Down!!!

Pick Em Rank

If NJ isn't hitting shots we're in serious trouble. Only guy on the team that can creat his own shot.

And AG.... dont know what the hell is going on. You know its bad when you're missing the rim from 3 feet. Starting to cringe every time he drives the lane or shoots anything other than a layup or dunk

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

The W is great and it was really important. It is good that we have two games at home to adjust. OSU is certainly dangerous (especially the OSU vs. UCLA was really good!)

Seattle Silver Foxes Applequest's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

We gotta start knocking down some jump shots. Someone. Anyone.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

must remember, we are somewhat starting over. We have a new starting 5 and it will take some time for them to gel.... Fortunately we have several weeks. No one but the CATS can shoot themselves out of thier poor shooting. Still think it is the "wall" most teams hit...see Ohio State, Wisconsin, Oklahoma state, to name a few. The key is to play through it and win, which they did today. Going to stay positive and not yet panic, but if this is what they look like in 3-4 weeks, then I will worry. Any win is a good win.

GO CATS!
    "Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
    John Wayne

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Pitts looked better than expected. Gab looks like we will be more assertive. TJ can play much worse and we can't shoot any worse. Still optimistic about the rest of the season after this WIN!

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by tomspengler View Post
    Pitts looked better than expected. Gab looks like we will be more assertive. TJ can play much worse and we can't shoot any worse. Still optimistic about the rest of the season after this WIN!
    Gabe needed to be taking every single one of NJ's bricks.

2 game's in a row now where we keep going to the guy who is having issue drawing iron, hoping he snaps out of it, and it's killing us.

Stereotypical Asian Guy AztecWildcat's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Sorry if this is a dumb question but is there any way we can come up with a play that makes defenses pay for sagging off Gordon. Except for AG actually being able to shoot of course.

Run some sort of play were he drives and a guard comes up behind him and he passes back out to the guard?
    I blame ESPN, PAC-12 Network, Larry Scott, East Coast Bias, Direct TV, Dish Network, The Honda Center, PAC-12 Refs, and Mark Lyons

Pick Em Rank

Zeus is being affected by the loss of BAsh the most. When he is on the floor he pulls the oposing teams 4 out to the 15 ft mark and beyond. AGs inability to make a shot leaves the 4 to double Zeus or just simply clog the lane.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I know we made some key free throws at the end of the game, but that percentage needs to come up big time. Something like that will really hurt us down the stretch and in the tournament.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Free throw shooting is pathetic sans Zeus. It will end up costing us in the tournament.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

The good news is that we scored 67 points with barely drawing iron on 95% of our shots.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by azfansincebirth View Post
    Zeus is ineffective anywhere more than a foot away from the basket on the offensive end..
    And i see AG cant make a 3, but is he also uncomfortable taking 10-15 ft shots ? They're giving him those shots and he wont even take them
    What?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Completely agree with you that we were starting over because so many had to start over in different positions. So many games this year were won mainly because of our Scrappyness and defensive lockdown at the end of the game. Look at the positives, otherwise we could have lost this game. Hope we take this win and build slowly to win the next 14 games.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I'd like to see Gabe and Zeus run a two man game with AG on the weak side block.

Also anyone know why Miller didn't instruct them to foul when we were up 4 and had 4 team fouls? They almost made an and one which wouldn't have happened if they fouled as soon as Oregon drove the lane

Baltimore Blowfish TraneofThought's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

If this is the best they have without Ashley, there's no need to bother discussing fixes or problems. The season is over. A team that needs wild comebacks on their home floor to beat bad teams isn't one destined for a deep tourney run.

If it were only the offense tonight, I could understand having a sense of optimism. But it wasn't. The team lacked toughness, energy, focus, and effort. They can't shoot FT's efficiently, they struggle making sound decisions on offense, and they don't make jumpshots. If they're going to compound that by not playing any defense and/or not blocking out, I'm sorry, but there's simply nothing there.

This team isn't good enough without Ashley to take plays off on defense or make idiotic decisions on offense. It may sound cliché, but they need to treat every possession of every game like it's their last one of the season. That's the only way they make any noise in the tourney. And I just didn't see it tonight. Not even close.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Oh bullsh*t. Ashley's absence didn't create all the problems you mention. The team is re-adjusting. Yeah, they looked bad and lost and frustrated. That result is not due to one guy being gone. I don't know how to fix the FTs. Outside shooting can be addressed if our coach lets our better shooters shoot more: Gabe; Elliot; TJ.

AG is one helluv an issue. When a bigman loses his jumper AND his FT he is essentially neutralized offensively if the defense simply sags off and fouls. He said he came to Arizona to develop his jumper....at this point he should consider staying for his sophomore year because that ain't happened. On the glass he makes us proud, but we all had hoped for more than just that.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I wish they would run pick and roll with Gordon and Zeus, we draw the big defenders outside and let Zeus take the 10-15 ft jumper. He's too good of a ft shooter not to be able to make those shots

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Esq View Post
    Gabe needed to be taking every single one of NJ's bricks.

2 game's in a row now where we keep going to the guy who is having issue drawing iron, hoping he snaps out of it, and it's killing us.
    This. York and Pitts were getting beautiful looks early on, but then it turned into the Nick and Aaron show. Even with TJ's foul trouble making it necessary for those other guys to get a lot of run, we went away from them.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

This post leads me to believe you were one of the few who were scared ****less on 12/21/12. :)

In all seriousness -- we just won a conference game as the #2 in the country playing for the first time without our most versatile offensive weapon and underrated defender. Did we play our best basketball? No. Did Oregon? Pretty damn close. We are still going to get everyone's best shot because of the name across our chest. We have a manageable schedule the rest of the way through, and if we can manage 2 or fewer losses the rest of the way, we could very well be looking at two consecutive weekends in CA in March.

CSM is going to have make several key adjustments to offset the loss of Ashley. We no longer have his ability to space the floor, create on the block, take attention away from Zeus, rebound, and harass others with length. But here's the best part: there's 6 weeks between now and March Madness, and that's an eternity for CSM to not necessarily reinvent, but evolve the team'a gameplan moving forward. Guys like Pitts and Korchek will become more confident and fluid with PT and guys like York and RHJ will become confident with increased roles.

So step off the ledge. Things could be much worse.

Originally Posted by TraneofThought View Post
    If this is the best they have without Ashley, there's no need to bother discussing fixes or problems. The season is over. A team that needs wild comebacks on their home floor to beat bad teams isn't one destined for a deep tourney run.

If it were only the offense tonight, I could understand having a sense of optimism. But it wasn't. The team lacked toughness, energy, focus, and effort. They can't shoot FT's efficiently, they struggle making sound decisions on offense, and they don't make jumpshots. If they're going to compound that by not playing any defense and/or not blocking out, I'm sorry, but there's simply nothing there.

This team isn't good enough without Ashley to take plays off on defense or make idiotic decisions on offense. It may sound cliché, but they need to treat every possession of every game like it's their last one of the season. That's the only way they make any noise in the tourney. And I just didn't see it tonight. Not even close.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

We will be ok. There is no way a team can continue to throw up bricks like we are now. Just a bad stretch and it started before we lost BA.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by SurpriseWildcat View Post
    We will be ok. There is no way a team can continue to throw up bricks like we are now. Just a bad stretch and it started before we lost BA.
    ^^THIS
    "Limits, like Fears, are often just an Illusion" - G.O.A.T

http://www.buzzfeed.com/h2/fbsp/reeb...le-than-a-game

Pick Em Rank

Missed 16 FTs, even Gabe shot 50% from the FT line. TJ with only 3 assists. We were out rebounded. And we still won. Amazing.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Since Nick hit 5 of 6 free throws, maybe he'll start hitting some of his other shots now. Elliot looked like he'll be able to contribute pretty good when he's got his legs under him. I can't say Oregon was a bad team. UCLA beat them by two at Oregon. Oregon scored 68 against UCLA. They were hitting their shots pretty good last night, even with a hand in their face...which is common with the teams the Wildcats play. Hopefully the offense will come back to life soon. The Wildcats have some tough road games coming and they need to be able to score as well as defend.

What I'm having a hard time understanding is that Brash went to the bench quite a few times to rest a little or because of foul trouble but the offense didn't seem to go crazy like last night. Someone needs to get into Aaron's head and get him to understand that if he can shoot great in practice, he can shoot great in a game. The basket isn't smaller, higher, or have a cover on it in a game. The only difference between practice and the game is the crowd and they can't block shots. Come on Aaron. You know you can make shots so just relax and make them. Same for you Nick. You guys need to relax, smile and make your shots instead of worrying about anything.

Bear Down Wildcats!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I believe Aaron's motor and intensity are Botha benefit and a curse this far into the season. He gets so jacked up playing that he can't control his body at the free throw line.

Everyone says he eh shoots incredibly in practice, but come game time he freezes. All of this is me tala me the good news is he can snap out of it when he finds his ronde shimmy.

What we are missing from the floor is spacing. Once again Aaron needs to have the confidence to take and make at least 2-3 midrange- 3 point shots a game. Recall early in the season he was making his shots from 3 point range. It made defenses respect that and come out, freeing up Zeus.

Bottom line, I like where we're at as a team, but need to stop overthinking our offense and it starts with Aaron confidently shooting and making a coupke of outside jumpers a game. Once he makes one or 2, he'll get his confidence back.

last, I was impressed with Elliott Pitts. I believe he and Gabe can step in for Rondae and nick and offer some quality outside shooting.

so, we miss 16 freethrows!, get out rebounded (mainly due to jack a 3 by Oregon), shoot an ice cold 40% from the field, 25% from 3 point range, and still win by essentially 4 points (if you discount end of the game follow slam as time expired from an airball). Oh, and we're man down. And... Committed ONLY 7 turnovers against a team that presses and is the #1 team in the PAC-12 forcing turnovers! It's ugly but I'll take it.

Fix Aaron's head and were championship material!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast