Hack-A-Zona

Pick Em Rank

Default Hack-A-Zona

Do you think teams will realistically take a "Hack-A-Shaq" approach against some of our poor FT shooters?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Just AG.

Pick Em Rank

Default Hack-A-Zona

I would.....difference between a nail biter and a 12-15 point win

Stereotypical Asian Guy AztecWildcat's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Notice that AG wasn't even allowed to touch the ball on offense in last few minutes of the game? Effectively playing with 4.5 players on O.
    I blame ESPN, PAC-12 Network, Larry Scott, East Coast Bias, Direct TV, Dish Network, The Honda Center, PAC-12 Refs, and Mark Lyons

Pick Em Rank

We shot 70% from the line if you take away AG

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Aaron Gordon's freethrow, mid range and 3 point woes are 199% mental. He plays with so much energy and adrenaline it's hard for him to calm his. Mind and synch freethrows the way he does at practice.

he needs to find a place and a mental mechanism where he can calm his nerves and tune out the crowd.

Pick Em Rank

Default Hack-A-Zona

I would do the exact same thing. Easiest way for mediocre teams to stay in the game

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I am fine with this as long as we are in double bonus in the last 4 minutes.

It hurts a lot on 1 on 1 shots..

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I wish Gordon would take a few more seconds to concentrate before taking the ft. It seems like he hurries too much on the stripes.

Pick Em Rank

Hack-a-Freshman has worked well against AG. It's a smart strategy some team(s) will likely employ in the last few minutes of a game, especially if Arizona is leading and not yet in the double bonus at that time.
    "Riding quasars all the way to the top of the mountain" - Bill Walton
    "#Shouldershimmythempeoples" - Kevin Durant

Pick Em Rank

Especially when you have an 11 man rotation like Oregon last night, why not...

Miller seems confident though that AG will hit his stride at the free throw line according to the post game presser.
    #4Bashley

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

he arcs his shot more than the gateway arch. He is rainbowing FTs

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by moosety2008 View Post
    Aaron Gordon's freethrow, mid range and 3 point woes are 199% mental. He plays with so much energy and adrenaline it's hard for him to calm his. Mind and synch freethrows the way he does at practice.

he needs to find a place and a mental mechanism where he can calm his nerves and tune out the crowd.
    no, no, no, and NOOOO

Aaron Gordon is not a good shooter. Period. I can't believe people are still saying this is a mental thing. GOOD SHOOTERS DONT SHOOT THE BALL SO POORLY THAT IT BARELY HITS THE RIM. ON FREE THROWS!! That happened twice yesterday. BECAUSE HE CANT SHOOT.

Made my point yet?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

He's not a great shooter, but much of it is clearly mental. He's rushing and short-arming anything within 5 feet of the basket, and he's trying to aim his free throws rather than go by feel (aka, muscle memory). For a comparison, look at Rondae. He has that little "shimmy" in his FT shot - what purpose does it serve? It releases the tension in his body and gives him a more fluid stroke. Although his season percentage isn't that great, and taking away that half a game where he dropped the shimmy and missed 4(?) in a row, he's been pretty good over the last month or so.

Pick Em Rank

AG is not a good shooter and has not been all season especially on FT. Last night 2 for 11 at the stripe and 2 for 5 on two pointers. Everyone is sagging off of him daring him to shoot the ball. Some else said he needs to drive the lane and dunk or dish off. I agree. Except if I am a team with a large number of players, I would foul him everytime. Miller has taken him out of the offense at the end of almost every game because he knows he can not afford to have him on the floor. It may be mental, but it is also mechanical. He shoots almost all is FT differently, some flat and some with a big arch. Sometimes he pushes the ball, other times he cocks his wrist. I am a big fan of his athletic ability, but his shooting is going to lose us some games. He is young and will get better. He needs another year before he is NBA ready. If he goes to the draft, he will be sent down to the D league to learn how to shoot.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Murd View Post
    Do you think teams will realistically take a "Hack-A-Shaq" approach against some of our poor FT shooters?

I would do it much more empoying multiple bench players to hack Gordon every time down the floor until he proved he could make enough of them to negate the strategy.

How may possessions did Gordon go to the line? At least 10 possessions and came away with 2 points to show for it so that figures out to be the equivalent of shooting 1/10 on two pointers for those 10 possessions. Hard to win a game that way.
    Last edited by CoolCat; 02-07-2014 at 08:41 AM.

Pick Em Rank

Not sure if anyone registered on it, but last night was truly "Hack a Zona". We had 35 free throws to Oregon's 20.

Very backwards logic, but you could actually say that free throws were the reason for the win. Looking at the box score.
    - Basically the same number of shots taken (55 vs 54)
    - Oregon had better shooting percentage (43 pct vs 40 pct)
    - Oregon had better three point percentage (35% vs 25%)
    - Total points from field shooting: Oregon +4 (52 points vs 48 points)
    - However...Arizona had 19 points from FT's (19 of 35...ugly) versus Oregon's 13.

So, despite having an ugly shooting game offensively, the hack-a-zona backfired and it won the game for the 'Cats.

(how's that for some reverse thinking?)