Pressure

Hybrid View

Pick Em Rank

Default Pressure

I know we will not change up our defensive philosophy based on one injury, nor should we since it is the strength of this team. I was just wondering if we will try to utilize the press/pressure a bit more since we will have a very active and athletic 1-4 on the floor most of the time to try to create some easy offense.

Thoughts?
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr5sogzd4j1qfd3x7.gif

I am the one who knocks....I am the Danger!

Pick Em Rank

I guess I would feel better about that if we had a deeper bench.

surrounded by an army of 2. Which i created...
    Pick Em Rank

I want the hedge fouls 27 feet from the basket to come to a falcon punching grinding halt.

That foul is the absolute worst foul in the history of western civilization and zeus was good for 1-2 of those a game. Absolutely cannot afford him picking up fouls like that anymore.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Palpalife View Post
    I want the hedge fouls 27 feet from the basket to come to a falcon punching grinding halt.

That foul is the absolute worst foul in the history of western civilization and zeus was good for 1-2 of those a game. Absolutely cannot afford him picking up fouls like that anymore.
    He could easily play somewhere else. WIDE OPEN and he doesnt get a touch? Not a good strategy by any means. Did he foul in the Cal game? He busted *** to get to the shooter. Is it Zeus or the way the defense is played? I think it deserves another look sir!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by pop zeus View Post
    He could easily play somewhere else. WIDE OPEN and he doesnt get a touch? Not a good strategy by any means. Did he foul in the Cal game? He busted *** to get to the shooter. Is it Zeus or the way the defense is played? I think it deserves another look sir!

I hope you aren't really Zeus' father. If you are, quit acting like a clown. "He could easily play somewhere else" give me a break. They are talking about a defensive philosophy that puts our hugely important 7 footer in a vulnerable position and your first response is to take the ball and go home? Chill out, we all love Zeus and I personally expect the offense to work through him much more moving forward.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Pick Em Rank

I think the point Palpalife was making about the hedge fouls was that they are a complete waste of a foul so far from the basket and only lead to foul trouble for any player. This is a type of foul Arizona cannot afford to give up, Zeus must be on the floor as much as possible now. These type of fouls were a problem for Zeus his freshman year from time to time but he has improved greatly in this area this season. So Arizona pressing would likely put him out in open space against slashing players that would only put Zeus in a possible position to pick up cheap, needless fouls.

Also, I agree with you about Zeus' play on Cobb at the end of the Cal game. Zeus had to protect the lane against the drive and did a great job getting out to Cobb creating a very difficult shot that he got lucky enough to hit. It happens.

surrounded by an army of 2. Which i created...
    Pick Em Rank

Slow down. It's the defensive philosophy. An aggressive hedge is something Cat fans have seen since Miller arrived on campus. I can still vividly recall watching KReal pick up foul after foul early in his career when he had playing time.

In no way shape or form am I faulting Zeus on that. He had a fantastic game against Cal and did virtually everything right. Zeus took 14 shots (was fouled on 6 that resulted in FT's so they aren't added in his total attempts). He put a ton of pressure on Cobb and give Cobb credit for hitting a very tough shot. Nothing to fault Zeus on that play either.

The aggressive hedge is an added risk when we are short a player and I want to see it stopped. That was not a slight at Zeus. I want to see the hedge stopped.

Pick Em Rank

Slow down. It's the defensive philosophy. An aggressive hedge is something Cat fans have seen since Miller arrived on campus. I can still vividly recall watching KReal pick up foul after foul early in his career when he had playing time.

In no way shape or form am I faulting Zeus on that. He had a fantastic game against Cal and did virtually everything right. Zeus took 14 shots (was fouled on 6 that resulted in FT's so they aren't added in his total attempts). He put a ton of pressure on Cobb and give Cobb credit for hitting a very tough shot. Nothing to fault Zeus on that play either.

The aggressive hedge is an added risk when we are short a player and I want to see it stopped. That was not a slight at Zeus. I want to see the hedge stopped.
    Doubt too many people failed to read your post as a slight at the hedge and not the player.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

From both an energy and fouls stand point I'm not sure they have enough depth for that now?

Pick Em Rank

In any offense that has the center screening for the ballhandler away from the basket you'll ocassionally get called for that foul...
    HTTFB

Pick Em Rank

Pops, Zeus did everything right on that play v Cal.
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr5sogzd4j1qfd3x7.gif

I am the one who knocks....I am the Danger!

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Arty View Post
    Pops, Zeus did everything right on that play v Cal.
    Cobb is just a flopping POS.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

That last play by Cobs, nothing you can do about it. Nick was guarding the play, he got screened, Zeus had to options, hedge hard and allow Cobs to penetrate, or play it as it was played, having Cobs go to a fall back sideline fade away with a 7 footer in your face.

He he made a tough shot that will never be repeated by him. Everything that needed for cal to win that game happened. We played Man down, and shot horribly on offense.

zeus kept us in the game going 12-12. We need more zues, zues zuzuski

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Arty View Post
    I know we will not change up our defensive philosophy based on one injury, nor should we since it is the strength of this team. I was just wondering if we will try to utilize the press/pressure a bit more since we will have a very active and athletic 1-4 on the floor most of the time to try to create some easy offense.

Thoughts?
    I think we continue to use it as circumstance dictates. We no longer have the depth on our bench to sustain any pressure defenses. If we know the opposing team is trying to kill time off the clock then it's safe to throw a trap at them, but to use it as a game plan, takes depth off the bench we no longer have.
    "Fear knocked at the door... faith answered, and there was no one there."