The Most Powerful Power Rankings - AZ drops to 6

Seattle Silver Foxes Don't Pay the Choll Toll's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Default The Most Powerful Power Rankings - AZ drops to 6

http://grantland.com/features/tituss...er-rankings-3/

I know a lot of us on here have enjoyed Mark Titus' top 12 power rankings on Grantland. We have basically been ranked #1 for the past couple months, but with our one loss we dropped to 6. I don't necessarily think we should have fallen off that high - nor Duke rise to 3!?!?! But regardless, I still think he has great insight. I especially like his thought of moving York into the starting lineup moving Nick to 3 and AG to 4. I shared this sentiment on another thread. It would basically give Mayes more minutes (which whether you like him or not, he plays good defense and has experience), and keeps a spark off the bench with Rondae, who would still get more playing time and be used at end of the game.

Anyway, go ahead and continue your freaking out over dropping to 6.

Pick Em Rank

Default The Most Powerful Power Rankings - AZ drops to 6

I look at his power rankings as who is hot right now in basketball, rather than a coaches poll/AP poll. That being said, I too was surprised to see us at 6, but he does provide great insight. Considering I only read his article for comic relief, I really don't care.

Pick Em Rank

he also doesnt really know jack ****, just saying
    Twitter: @BeardownBill
    Papadeuce - "Whenever i meet up with kane my wife says to "tell your boyfriend hi for me""
    AztecWildcat - "There are more lawyers than people on this website. Jesus."
    GulfCoastCat - "grapejuice isn't rod?"
    Ryno - "
    ****, I better take a shower before work. I smell like DawgWarrior"
    cjw2222 - "The only thing Rondae can't shoulder shimmy? eeisners sex life"

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

1. York moving into line-up is not smart when you have someone like RHJ 2. Having York starting is losing what made us strong (defensive mind)

York coming from bench and us being shorter will keep opposite team to leave zone defense for a while and this will hopefully work for us.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Start Korcheck at the 4 and call it a day

2012 Angler of the Year revodog11's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by moosety2008 View Post
    Yep

RHJ, York and JM are all fine doing what they have been doing. Don't change now, just put in the big guy so we stay big and hope like hell he shoots better from the line the AG.
    The secret to success is knowing who to blame for your failures

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Yep

RHJ, York and JM are all fine doing what they have been doing. Don't change now, just put in the big guy so we stay big and hope like hell he shoots better from the line the AG.

Pick Em Rank

I'm confused - are you two suggesting that we'll be better if Korcheck gets more minutes than Rondae? Just please confirm that's what you're saying.

Titus is right that we're going to have a tough time keeping defenses honest with three guys (Zeus, Rondae, and AG) in our go-to line-up that can't shoot a reliable jumper. The bonus there is that we'd have AG near the rim and Rondae flying around the perimeter so our D would remain tight.

The alternative is to play York at the two and move Nick over as an undersized three. Our offense could be very exciting but our defense then likely suffers.

These are issues Coach will have to juggle - trade-offs in defensive and offensive efficiency. That's the reality of our post-Brashley line-up. But inserting Korcheck would be a drop in both offense and defense, so no matter our collective infatuation with every-man white dude near-walk-ons - he's the wrong choice of the three bench players who can be called up.
    If God isn't a Wildcat fan, then why do I bleed Red and Blue?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Korcheck has completely underwhelmed me...not sure why anyone would suggest his big lumbering style over RHJ...who is an all american and frankly when I watched the east/west game impressed me more than AG...RHJ can play...he just needs to find his style to fit with the rest of the cogs in the machine...move AG to the 4 problem solved, he gets a more defined role and we keep rolling...Gabe pops out and gives TJ and Nick a break, keeps the defense of other teams honest and burns the perimeter so the lane opens back up...where has Korcheck ever demonstrated anything other than size? Size doesn't win a NT...

Pick Em Rank

Korchek/Pitts are going to get the ~10 extra minutes per game that can't be absorbed by RHJ and York.

Or, at least, IMO.

Pick Em Rank

Start Korcheck? Not sure if that's meant to be serious, but if so - This is getting funny now. Do some of watch you how Miller runs this team? The constant fascination with the guys on our bench who have not logged any significant minutes ALL YEAR is goofy. This will basically be a 6 man show from now on, with Korcheck and Pitts logging a few minutes here and there only when necessary. Miller is very predictable and he goes with who he trusts on defense. Just look at who played in the Cal game as evidence. Ashley was out in the first two minutes, so for the next 38 minutes, how much time did everyone get:

Gordon 38 min
    Zeus 35
    TJ 35
    Nick 35
    Rondae 35
    Gabe 20
    and......
    Korcheck 1 min
    Pitts 3
    Mayes 0
    Peters 0

Also, imo, I just don't think Miller will vary from this much, except maybe York getting 5 more min or so, to spell TJ or Nick.
    I always think we're gonna' win

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I believe the "Start Korcheck" was meant to be humorous.

I'm hoping that Korcheck can give us five good minutes, same as Jordin. So long as he can keep the Defensive intensity up (with four starters out there) I think we'll be okay. Otherwise, we're looking at a lot of smallball.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Chol has one L, right? As in Pay the Chol Toll?

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Chol has one L, right? As in Pay the Chol Toll?
    I think youre right, but I don't care. He is dead to me. He transferred and ruined my name.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by YoDeFoe View Post
    I'm confused - are you two suggesting that we'll be better if Korcheck gets more minutes than Rondae? Just please confirm that's what you're saying.

Titus is right that we're going to have a tough time keeping defenses honest with three guys (Zeus, Rondae, and AG) in our go-to line-up that can't shoot a reliable jumper. The bonus there is that we'd have AG near the rim and Rondae flying around the perimeter so our D would remain tight.

The alternative is to play York at the two and move Nick over as an undersized three. Our offense could be very exciting but our defense then likely suffers.

These are issues Coach will have to juggle - trade-offs in defensive and offensive efficiency. That's the reality of our post-Brashley line-up. But inserting Korcheck would be a drop in both offense and defense, so no matter our collective infatuation with every-man white dude near-walk-ons - he's the wrong choice of the three bench players who can be called up.
    Im not saying check should get more minutes than anyone. Just saying he's a mobile big body who can play the 4 defend and be a rim protector. On offense he an set solid screens, make good passes, and his size and length should allow similar offensive rebound opportunities.

Pick Em Rank

You guys have the normal faith for fan favorite players, but in my opinion Korcheck just won't help us near as much as you expect. He's going to get more minutes, and hopefully they will be productive minutes, but he's just not capable of playing at the level we need for a national championship if he has to play too many minutes. I hope I'm wrong, but I see him only playing extensively if KT or AG get into foul trouble...
    HTTFB

Pick Em Rank

Im not saying check should get more minutes than anyone. Just saying he's a mobile big body who can play the 4 defend and be a rim protector. On offense he an set solid screens, make good passes, and his size and length should allow similar offensive rebound opportunities.
    When has he shown any of these things? In JUCO? I know it hasn't been in any game this year, unless you're referring to the last 2 minutes of games we have been up by 30

Pick Em Rank

The value Korchek with bring will be in absorbing fouls and protecting others in pf trouble. The more I look at us in the absence of BrAsh, who, IMO was a good conduit from our front court to back court, I see a team that needs it's guards to start stroking the ball. Most teams would kill for a 7 foot Zeus and AG at the 4/5. However, with a 3 that needs to hang around the paint in RHJ, we need NJ/TJ and York to hit their open shots. I hope NJ is healthy because in reality, his shooting doomed us in the Cal game. Think about it.
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr5sogzd4j1qfd3x7.gif

I am the one who knocks....I am the Danger!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

K'Check getting more minutes seems inevitable to me... he'll spell Zeus/Gordon for fouls, just before scheduled timeouts for extra rest, etc... the problem lies more in his versatility (rather lack there of). What Gordon and BrAsh did for us that cannot be reliably filled in for by K'Check is to create mismatches on the offensive end. Gordon is an oversized 3 and BrAsh is a quicker/stretch 4; Korcheck can rebound and defend the rim like a 4/5 but he can be played straight-up on the offensive side.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

It's not always about starting your top 5 guys, thus the importance of the 6th man to give you a scoring punch off the bench.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by HSP View Post
    he also doesnt really know jack ****, just saying
    He actually watches as much basketball as anyone else and provides a lot of good insight. Aside from his big ten homerism he definitely knows what he's talking about

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

The more i think about it, starting Korchek sounds like a solid idea as long as he isn't causing turnovers and that's a big IF. Send him in, tell him that every loose ball and rebound is his and that fouls for playing hard are like badges of honor. In recent weeks Brash was constantly in foul trouble and although his offensive output was significant the style of the team we have is just going to transfer those points to others in theory. If he scores 2 points a game while allowing our players to not get fatigued he could win us a championship. Nobody is arguing he is better than Rondae or York, but i think it should be apparent to everyone here now that depth is a very real issue for this team and just upping others minutes is not a solution we can count on.

That said, we all know that Rondae and York both have to step it up big time and that at least one of them needs to play at the level of our original starting 5.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by serialchilla View Post
    The more i think about it, starting Korchek sounds like a solid idea as long as he isn't causing turnovers and that's a big IF. Send him in, tell him that every loose ball and rebound is his and that fouls for playing hard are like badges of honor. In recent weeks Brash was constantly in foul trouble and although his offensive output was significant the style of the team we have is just going to transfer those points to others in theory. If he scores 2 points a game while allowing our players to not get fatigued he could win us a championship. Nobody is arguing he is better than Rondae or York, but i think it should be apparent to everyone here now that depth is a very real issue for this team and just upping others minutes is not a solution we can count on.

That said, we all know that Rondae and York both have to step it up big time and that at least one of them needs to play at the level of our original starting 5.
    I may just be romanticizing it but i keep thinking of the role Donnell Harris had on the 97 team. Not in body type but in the couple of minutes of hustle and defense from a big man roll.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    You guys have the normal faith for fan favorite players, but in my opinion Korcheck just won't help us near as much as you expect. He's going to get more minutes, and hopefully they will be productive minutes, but he's just not capable of playing at the level we need for a national championship if he has to play too many minutes. I hope I'm wrong, but I see him only playing extensively if KT or AG get into foul trouble...
    Korcheck can handle any of the bigs in the PAC.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by revodog11 View Post
    Korcheck can handle any of the bigs in the PAC.
    There's no way that you know the above. We'll see in once the big guy gets some more minutes, but here's a good indicator: If Coach thought Korcheck was as good as Scott, Moreland, the Wears, Powell, Kravish, Solomon, Huestis, Bachynski, etc - HE'D ALREADY BE PLAYING.
    If God isn't a Wildcat fan, then why do I bleed Red and Blue?