Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

One NBA Scouts Take on AG

Hybrid View

Pick Em Rank

Default One NBA Scouts Take on AG

Interesting take from one NBA Scout per ESPN Insider:

Gordon's offensive woes continued Saturday against Cal. He's just 9-of-37 from the field in his past three games. But Gordon makes up for it with so much hustle and energy that he makes a major impact on the game anyway. He had 13 rebounds and six assists against Cal and was everywhere.

"He's stuck between positions and I think we're going to have to embrace the fact that ideally, he's a 4 in our league," one scout said. "Now that Brandon Ashley likely is out the season, he'll move to his natural position and I think that will help his stock. Once he gets stronger, I think he'll be fine there. He's so quick, plays the game the right way and plays so hard, he's going to be really good. But you have to understand what he is and what he isn't."

Full Story: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...2014-nba-draft

Pick Em Rank

If Lebron can attain a jumpshot, so can AG.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

A lot of Scouts see the tools they have to work with. Most Scouts have thought of AG as power forward for some time now...but love the fact that it looks like defensively he can guard the 3 in the league. It will be interesting to see how he plays the rest of the season now.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Wcatsbball4lyfe View Post
    huh?
    "if you're not bearin down, i dont know whatcha doin"

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    Pick Em Rank

WHAT?

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by bengcord3 View Post
    WHAT?
    lol
    I blame ESPN, PAC-12 Network, Larry Scott, East Coast Bias, Direct TV, Dish Network, The Honda Center, PAC-12 Refs, and Mark Lyons

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

What does that even mean..

Pick Em Rank

I just want AG to go lottery which seems to be very likely right about now.
    We haven't had a lottery pick since DW in the 2011 draft and for us to be considered elite we need to start sending these kids off to the NBA,lottery style or at least in the 1st round.
    Marcus Garvey,MLK,Malcolm X,Joe Louis,Rosa Parks,etc..
    All these men & woman and several more African-Americans helped paved the way to allow me to chase my dream and to pursue greatness,to sit in the same classroom as those whose ancestors thought they were more superior than mine..

Pick Em Rank

Sounds like D.Will.

Pick Em Rank

.... Pretty sure Wcats point was Bron had a **** j around the same age.

Pick Em Rank

lebron's jumper hasnt been as horrid as AGs since he was 3

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by jmoon View Post
    lebron's jumper hasnt been as horrid as AGs since he was 3
    What are you talking about? Lebron's jumper was straight broke when he came into the league.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

Pick Em Rank

What are you talking about? Lebron's jumper was straight broke when he came into the league.
    if lebron's jumper was broke, then AGs jumper is damn near beyond retrieve.

i dont think you guys are giving enough credit to AG regarding how broke his shot actually is. lebron was waaaaaaaaay further along shooting wise. well, maybe everything-wise. i echo arizona-pausch's sentiment.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I can't believe I'm actually reading any sort of comparison with AG and Lebron.....it's not anywhere near what LeBron's was at the same age, and I'm willing to bet LBJ shot just a fraction better from the line. I love AG as much as the next guy, but come on...AG will get better no doubt but this is a stupid comparison

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by arizona_pausch View Post
    I can't believe I'm actually reading any sort of comparison with AG and Lebron.....it's not anywhere near what LeBron's was at the same age, and I'm willing to bet LBJ shot just a fraction better from the line. I love AG as much as the next guy, but come on...AG will get better no doubt but this is a stupid comparison
    I almost have no idea what you're trying to say.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I almost have no idea what you're trying to say.
    Then you shouldn't be comparing AG to LBJ....

Scandinavia Dirty Pirates Wildcat Dad's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

LBJ scored high PPG early in his career, but overall low FG % and low 3 pt %. A scorer not a shooter

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/lebron...eer_stats.html

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Stop it with any LeBron and AG comparison. Lebron will be considered one of the best professional basketball players when his career is over. If any of you think AG will be in that same class, then you are a homer.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

"Once he gets stronger"

Wut? Dood is already Lou Ferrigno in Nike's.

The one glaring flaw in his game that is holding AG back is his shooting.
    If AG were shooting good, not even great say... 80% FT, 43% 3p and 58% FG he would go #1 overall IMO.
    "You're ruining the private forum."
    -ACE

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Catbus View Post
    "Once he gets stronger"

Wut? Dood is already Lou Ferrigno in Nike's.

The one glaring flaw in his game that is holding AG back is his shooting.
    If AG were shooting good, not even great say... 80% FT, 43% 3p and 58% FG he would go #1 overall IMO.
    Damn those are pretty lofty numbers compared to his actual stats. If he was shooting 65-37-50 he'd be a lot closer to a lock for top 5.

This thread got off track in a hurry with the Lebron comparison. AG isn't even in the same stratosphere as Lebron if you look at overall offensive ability at the same age. Period. So let's just move on.

As far as the OP- I think this 9 game stretch will be huge for AG's draft stock. If he can't consistently score against college kids in the post his chances of posting ANY offensive threat in the NBA are at least 2-3 years off. He had 2 nice post moves against cal so let's hope he can build off those amend develop some touch around the rim

Pick Em Rank

Those would be insane shooting numbers from a forward. Essentially that would make him the best scoring freshman forward of all time (skipping Melo, Love, and Durant).
    If God isn't a Wildcat fan, then why do I bleed Red and Blue?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by YoDeFoe View Post
    Those would be insane shooting numbers from a forward. Essentially that would make him the best scoring freshman forward of all time (skipping Melo, Love, and Durant).
    AG having a shooting goal worthy of a #1 pick overall of 80% FT, 43% 3p and 58% FG is not insane at all...

Derrick Williams was 75% FT, 57% 3p and 60% FG with much more pressure to score since his team had less options so those numbers are not unobtainable.
    "You're ruining the private forum."
    -ACE

Pick Em Rank

Derrick Williams was 75% FT, 57% 3p and 60% FG with much more pressure to score since his team had less options so those numbers are not unobtainable.
    I'm sure you remember that DWill played center for us in most of his minutes that year, so his high FG% is hardly comparable with players logging most minutes at the 2/3. And of course, he had a tremendous outside shot (especially as a match-up problem for PFs and Cs).

Pick Em Rank

Check this ESPN article from Bron's first season, titled "LeBron James struggles with his jump shot". The article also cites Baron Davis, Kobe, and MJ as guys who entered without a solid jumper and were able to develop one as they played in the league. I know seeing LeBron and AG in the same sentence is a great opportunity for "serious arizona fans" to backlash, but all dude is saying is that guys get drafted without a jumper all the time and guys with work ethic develop one and find success.

For further fun, here's the shot chart from LeBron's first year in the league.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by YoDeFoe View Post

Check this ESPN article from Bron's first season, titled "LeBron James struggles with his jump shot". The article also cites Baron Davis, Kobe, and MJ as guys who entered without a solid jumper and were able to develop one as they played in the league. I know seeing LeBron and AG in the same sentence is a great opportunity for "serious arizona fans" to backlash, but all dude is saying is that guys get drafted without a jumper all the time and guys with work ethic develop one and find success.

For further fun, here's the shot chart from LeBron's first year in the league.
    Bringing up MJ and Kope is sure to calm down the conversation, thanks bro.....my god

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by arizona_pausch View Post
    Bringing up MJ and Kope is sure to calm down the conversation, thanks bro.....my god
    Way to let that knee jerk again.

Pick Em Rank

Again, AG's shot will come along, but probably not this year. I don't think he's Mustafa Shakur...

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Default Re: One NBA Scouts Take on AG

Originally Posted by Wildcat Dad View Post
    LBJ scored high PPG early in his career, but overall low FG % and low 3 pt %. A scorer not a shooter

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/lebron...eer_stats.html
    Can't compare percentage stats from the number one option on an NBA team against the number three option for a college team... Other than free throws, this doesn't translate. The NBA kind of has better competition.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    Interesting take from one NBA Scout per ESPN Insider:

Gordon's offensive woes continued Saturday against Cal. He's just 9-of-37 from the field in his past three games. But Gordon makes up for it with so much hustle and energy that he makes a major impact on the game anyway. He had 13 rebounds and six assists against Cal and was everywhere.

"He's stuck between positions and I think we're going to have to embrace the fact that ideally, he's a 4 in our league," one scout said. "Now that Brandon Ashley likely is out the season, he'll move to his natural position and I think that will help his stock. Once he gets stronger, I think he'll be fine there. He's so quick, plays the game the right way and plays so hard, he's going to be really good. But you have to understand what he is and what he isn't."

Full Story: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...2014-nba-draft
    I just don't get it. I love Aaron. I love his hustle. I love his heart. I love his work ethic and attitude, but his shot is broken soooooooooo bad right now how can he be considered a Lotto. It seems like he would at least have to show that he can improve his shot a little before the NBA would take a flyer on him. As is, Aaron is absolutely worthless as an NBA player. He wont be able to play center and stay close to the basket so he will have to be able to make at least a free throw length shot to keep defenders honest. Look at what defenses are doing to him in college and it is really making our offense struggle. That will be much worse in the NBA. He will not be able to dominate athletically in the NBA like he does in college enough to make up for it. To me it just looks like he is throwing the ball at the backboard on most shots hoping he can get to it and dunk it. Seems like a huge risk to pick him as a lottery pick and to be honest at this point I think it would be better for him anyway to stay and fix his shot. He is not ready and is still very young. This is not my homer side wanting him back for selfish reasons. I understand the importance of him going to help with future recruiting. this is really how I see it. What am I missing here?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    I just don't get it. I love Aaron. I love his hustle. I love his heart. I love his work ethic and attitude, but his shot is broken soooooooooo bad right now how can he be considered a Lotto. It seems like he would at least have to show that he can improve his shot a little before the NBA would take a flyer on him. As is, Aaron is absolutely worthless as an NBA player. He wont be able to play center and stay close to the basket so he will have to be able to make at least a free throw length shot to keep defenders honest. Look at what defenses are doing to him in college and it is really making our offense struggle. That will be much worse in the NBA. He will not be able to dominate athletically in the NBA like he does in college enough to make up for it. To me it just looks like he is throwing the ball at the backboard on most shots hoping he can get to it and dunk it. Seems like a huge risk to pick him as a lottery pick and to be honest at this point I think it would be better for him anyway to stay and fix his shot. He is not ready and is still very young. This is not my homer side wanting him back for selfish reasons. I understand the importance of him going to help with future recruiting. this is really how I see it. What am I missing here?
    I think what you're missing is the fact that the NBA can fix any shot. I watched Kawhi Leonard all throughout college and his shot was not great looking either (although he was a bit better than AG). He had the same skills as AG right now: hustle, rebounding ability, motor and defense. Most of his points seemed to come off of offensive rebounds and dunks but hardly any jumpers. Now look at what he is doing in the NBA. He increased his 3pt shooting by 10%pts and he is nearly 80% ft and is considered a shooting threat. If there is one thing that the NBA doesn't mind in college it has to be shooting because that is something you can teach. The other skills that AG brings to the table are things you cannot necessarily teach.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by gyagade3 View Post
    I think what you're missing is the fact that the NBA can fix any shot. I watched Kawhi Leonard all throughout college and his shot was not great looking either (although he was a bit better than AG). He had the same skills as AG right now: hustle, rebounding ability, motor and defense. Most of his points seemed to come off of offensive rebounds and dunks but hardly any jumpers. Now look at what he is doing in the NBA. He increased his 3pt shooting by 10%pts and he is nearly 80% ft and is considered a shooting threat. If there is one thing that the NBA doesn't mind in college it has to be shooting because that is something you can teach. The other skills that AG brings to the table are things you cannot necessarily teach.
    Well, I bet if Aaron doesn't improve his shot at all by the end of the year he will shoot his way out of the lotto and maybe the 1st round. He is just brutal on the O side right now and not everyone becomes a good shooter, some people never can do it no matter how hard they try. I mean come on, has anyone seen an uglier display from the free throw line as we saw last night? I can maybe remember some one missing that many but never someone missing so many that badly!

I am really hoping he can fix his shot by tourney time because to me that could make the difference in a championship if he was just ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast