ESPNU CBB Podcast. Mike Montgomery on beating Arizona.

Stereotypical Asian Guy AztecWildcat's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Default ESPNU CBB Podcast. Mike Montgomery on beating Arizona.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=10398271

Nothing too surprising.

Cal's plan was to clog the paint and prevent us dunking all over them and force us to make shots from the outside. He said Arizona isn't great with jump shots.

Says the reason Arizona is great is because Arizona's plays very hard and is athletic.
    I blame ESPN, PAC-12 Network, Larry Scott, East Coast Bias, Direct TV, Dish Network, The Honda Center, PAC-12 Refs, and Mark Lyons

Pick Em Rank

I hate Montgomery.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

Pick Em Rank

Forgive me if I'm not in the mood to hear what Monty says about us. I wonder how many outside shots Cal would've made if they were w/o one of their starters, like Solomon or Cobbs?

Ya, and Monty isn't great with advancing in the Ncaa tourney lately either, having last been to a sweet sixteen 13 yrs ago!

Maybe our coach can give him a few pointers on that.
    I always think we're gonna' win

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Sorry, but almost any decent team would have beaten us that night. The fact Cal happened to be in the right place at the right time is just plain luck. Dare I say, if we had our game at ucla that night, it may have been ugly, under the same conditions. Cal really isn't better than most teams seeded 6th or better in the PAC right now. Heck, they lost to asu at home.
    "Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
    John Wayne

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by AlwaysBeenACatFan View Post
    Sorry, but almost any decent team would have beaten us that night. The fact Cal happened to be in the right place at the right time is just plain luck. Dare I say, if we had our game at ucla that night, it may have been ugly, under the same conditions. Cal really isn't better than most teams seeded 6th or better in the PAC right now. Heck, they lost to asu at home.
    Cal fan here.. I agree we got lucky, (and I'm sorry about and for Ashely -- that's always sad to see). Just wanted to point out that we're actually down a starter as well -- Jordan Mathews (the freshman who scored 2 points) is starting in Ricky Kreklow's place (a great 3pt shooter and a great defender, though our 5th best player still, so not a *huge* loss). It doesn't at all compare to you losing Ashley, but we're still down a starter.

But give our players some credit -- they played a good game, even if there was luck involved. Their defense was solid.