Different Line Ups

Hybrid View

Pick Em Rank

Default Different Line Ups

Been thinking a lot about this as of late as probably many of you have been too.

Here's what I've come to conclude (my opinion so eat it)

1. York is going to see a lot of playing time
    2. AG is going to play the 4 a majority of the time
    3. AG and Korcheck will back up Zeus
    4. We could see line ups where we play "small ball" (for us) like 3 guards out at once. TJ, GY, NJ
    5. Rondaes stats per minute were actually inline or better than Ashleys, though different position, take this for whatever it's worth.
    6. The only reason Pitts see's the light of day is because we get into foul trouble either early on or late, and even then JM is ahead of him.
    7. JM will probably see a tad bit increase in Average minutes played, Miller will have to implore him to protect the ball (no easy TO's)
    8. I imagine GY will clock well over 20 minutes a game moving forward
    9. I imagine all starters will log incrementally more minutes, and as much as fouls will allow (RHJ obviously goes to 25-30 mins a game)
    10. AG playing the 4 is better for the team, his FG% and 3PT% are terrible, Ashleys post defense will be hard to replace

I can imagine seeing regular line ups like this:

Game Start:
    1. TJ
    2. NJ
    3. RHJ
    4. AG
    5. KT

Guard U: (based on competitor)
    1. TJ
    2. GY
    3. NJ
    4. RHJ
    5. AG/KT

Depth Chart:
    1. TJ/JM
    2. NJ/GY/JM
    3. RHJ/NJ/AG/EP
    4. AG/RHJ/ZP
    5. KT/MK/ZP
    Twitter: @BeardownBill
    Papadeuce - "Whenever i meet up with kane my wife says to "tell your boyfriend hi for me""
    AztecWildcat - "There are more lawyers than people on this website. Jesus."
    GulfCoastCat - "grapejuice isn't rod?"
    Ryno - "
    ****, I better take a shower before work. I smell like DawgWarrior"
    cjw2222 - "The only thing Rondae can't shoulder shimmy? eeisners sex life"

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I think we can just slide in Korcheck to replace Brash and see how that works. Line up of 7'0, 6'10, 6,9

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by moosety2008 View Post
    I think we can just slide in Korcheck to replace Brash and see how that works. Line up of 7'0, 6'10, 6,9
    No, thank you. None of those three guys can make shots beyond two or three feet from the rim. At least Rondae's midrange shot goes down every once in a while.
    "Riding quasars all the way to the top of the mountain" - Bill Walton
    "#Shouldershimmythempeoples" - Kevin Durant

Pick Em Rank

I'm personally a fan of Pitts coming in at the 3. We'll see obviously, but Korcheck doesn't give us something new or dynamic. He's just a body on the court. If Pitts can come in and hit a tre, we could be ok.

Seattle Silver Foxes Don't Pay the Choll Toll's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

What about a starting lineup of :
    TJ
    GY
    NJ
    AG
    KT
    This would allow RHJ to come in to give minutes and let NJ slide back to the 2 or AG to slide to the 5 (or just give AG a breather). Then mayes could basically fill in as the 7th man off the bench to spell the guards?

Obviously we lose height and we have guys playing out of position, but this allows us to utilize experience the most and limits the time that Korcheck or Pitts would have to play, while not increasing the starters minutes too much.

Just a thought.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Look, every team is going to have a guy down low they sub in to get their starters breathers....If we can't put Korcheck in and trust that he is good enough to hold his own and grab a few rebounds before we can get our starters back in, then what the hell is he doing on the team. He will become more and more comfortable with being on the floor and won't look like he's in such a hurry all the time, and he will make plays based on AG or Zeus getting so much attention.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I trust Korcheck.

If he can give this team 10-12 quality minutes a game, then it's all good.

The individuals that need to step up in BA's absence are York & RHJ.

Pick Em Rank

So is Peters no good or in trouble or both?

Seattle Silver Foxes Don't Pay the Choll Toll's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by WildcatYuma View Post
    So is Peters no good or in trouble or both?
    I don't have any special insight, other than what I read on PGU and can see during games, but it just seems like Peters is having a difficult time returning to form after all his injuries. The guys is clearly a project, and needs time. I wouldn't expect to see him at all this season, maybe a little bit next season, then possibly start being a contributor by his junior year.

KillerCarlson

Jeff is correct. Ashley will be missed for his offense mainly his ability to hit perimeter jump shots and stretch the floor. The Cats simply can't sub in Korcheck who has 0.0 offensive ability and think everything will go smoothly.

A lineup of TJ, Nick, Rondae, Gordon, Tarc is actually our best defensive unit possible. Our defense will likely still be the #1 Defense in the Nation without Ashley, but our offense that has been struggling as of late will be hit the hardest.

Without Ashley, we're basically the 2012-2013 Ohio State Buckeyes

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I think AG going to the 4 is a blessing in disguise (not that I wanted to lose BrAsh to realize it.) AG has zero confidence outside of about 7 feet right now. Near the end of the Cal game, he finally posted up and had a natural little flip shot. Looked way more comfortable. He just can't create for himself effectively. He's awesome on boards and putbacks. The only reason he was playing 3 was for the scouts. He had half a season out there, now he can go pound at the 4 and actually demonstrate THAT for the scouts. So it's a potentially a win-win for both of us. He can stop throwing up airballs and just go bang and board for us. Of course, that'll put him at the line more often, but you can't get better if you don't have more attempts. So we cross our fingers he gets up to 50%.

Rondae needs to get a jumper to at least 10 feet and play under control to mitigate fouls.

Think about this. We played almost that entire Cal game without Brash. And NJ had his worst game of the year. And we STILL lost by only 2. Kaleb will need to continue to assert himself...shoot lights out from FT line.

Our margin for error is razor thin, admittedly. Another injury would be doomsday. But we CAN survive this. Fortunately we've got two home games to get used to this. Imagine if we were going right back out on the road...that would suck. So consider that a lucky break. But 5 of our last 7 are on the road...teams smelling blood in the water...so we've got to get this shored up quick and then BTFD!!!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

We just have to continue to be BIG on the floor when we start. That's our character and style. We can't change it and go small. So, RHJ will start and I am sure he will be more controlled. York will be the 6th man.

If we lost the game vs. Cal, it was mostly because of %32. Nick wont easily go 1/14 again. I certainly recognize Brash's great contributions, however, with some extra effort, we will get that #1 seed in the end.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Obviously...losing Ashley hurts a lot, but Arizona is still a Final Four contender. Curious to see which lineup Miller uses. There are two that stick out in my mind as the best scenarios to start a game off with. Both of them involve moving Gordon to the 4 spot, his natural position in my opinion. The shift will allow AG to play more on the block, instead on the perimeter like he has been. Despite his size, I believe this change plays to Aaron's strengths, and will allow him to get of his slump that he has been in. Dude is a monster on the boards, so moving to the pf position shouldn't be too much of a change.

The question that remains is who fills the 3 spot in Gordon's absence. Miller can either insert Rondae into the starting lineup. This will allow our team to stay big in the front court, without having much of a drop off in size. Having that much youth in the starting 5 could hurt though. The other option is to move Nick from the 2 spot to the 3, and shift Gabe into the starting lineup to cover Nick's vacated shooting guard role. This will keep us small in the front court, but could help out with scoring from the outside, especially with how bad our shooting has been lately.

Whatever the case is...this team has just been smacked in the face. Each player now has to play a bigger role with Ashley out, night in and night out. RHJ can't be a freshman any more, and York is going to have to play major minutes for us down the stretch. Also...Korcheck and Mayes/Pitts will have to step up in the case where our starters need breathers or happen to get into foul trouble. I believe there isn't too much of a drop off from losing Brandon. We have the talent. Let's see how the Cats play with adversity staring them right in the face.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

According to our roster, RHJ is only 1 inch shorter, and 15lbs lighter than Ashley. Watching on TV, I can't really see if that is true or not. But, if RHJ starts, we still are the best defensive team in the land, and that is the real reason we have been winning (along with some clutch shots from NJ). Add some short breaks for the big boys when other teams sub their guys out with Korckek, and Mayes for the backcourt, and by moving AG to where he is nearer the rim, we will be all good. It will be very interesting, I'm betting NJ and TJ will use the next few games to get everybody to buy into the new rotations and positions, and if we can continue to play as a team, we may still have a shot at this. But there is no room for any more injuries, excessive fouls, etc. Bear Down

Pick Em Rank

**** Mayes. Play Pitts more.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

Pick Em Rank

Brandon is not replaceable, imo, by any player we can substitute. Or for what he brought to the game with his shooting efficiency and ability to step out and hit a three, as others have already said. But we do have a winner in Rondae who I think will take this challenge head on and with his agressive attitude do his very best to fill the void left by Ashley. I seem to remember reading that Jefferson has a wingspan almost as large as Brandon, and we all know Rondae is very good at getting to the foul line, where Brandon seemed to be a magnet for the whistle - so theres that, which could be a positive. I'm pretty sure Miller will roll out a line-up of TJ, Nick, Rondae, Gordon and Zeus. It will be interesting to see what Miller does after that tho' - I'm hoping he loosens up some and gives offensive freedom to York - as he could be the shooter this team so badly needs.

Bear Down Cats and Coach Miller!
    I always think we're gonna' win

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

KillerCarlson - Totally agree that you can argue that RHJ for Bash in the starting lineup makes us a better defensive team.

Cat4Life - I love your point about AG getting more looks inside. I think that is a win win situation as well.

I also think Korcheck is going to be solid defensively and on the boards as a sub.

The biggest thing we loose with Ashley is offensive potential. I say potential, because in our streak of 21-0, there were very few games where we used all of Ashley's offensive weapons. Besides Nick, you can actually say that about most of the players.

We have lost a lot of potential upside from the team, and go from the clear favorite to a top 5 team. We will certainly loose one more game without Bash than we would have, just simply on depth and foul trouble. The key is what can Sean Miller and the team do about offensive execution. It needs to improve. We lost an important tool, but if we improve our offensive execution we will make up for it.

Pick Em Rank

Everyone is pointing out the negatives and how losing BA will hurt the team but does any think that this actually could help the offense? I think that with one less star player to have to share the ball with, Gordon and Zues could flourish. Both players are showcasing their talents for the next level and would welcome the opportunity to have more offensive touches. It's just a matter of what they will do with it. I'm hoping this will help solve our recent offensive woes by having more specific go to weapons on offense. Instead of having 6 guys that average 7-12 points a game maybe now we have 4-5 guys avg double figures and 2-3 guys at 15 or so per game. Same goes for rebounds instead of having 4 guys from 5-8 boards per game. I see Gordon and Zues increasing to around 10 per game. Both of these theories were evident in the Cal game with both having career games in points and rebounds. Now let's hope they can do even better when we game plan for it.

The reason we lost the Cal game was because Nick had his worse shooting game and Cal couldn't miss. Not necessarily because BA got hurt. Please note, I am not in any way discounting BA's talent and value to the team just trying to be optimistic!
    2012 PGU OGs Fantasy Football Champion
    Member of the Tiajuana Titty Twisters (TTT) 2010-2011 Pick Em Team Championship
    Member of the Turkish Teabag Terrorist (TTT) 2009-2010 Pick Em Team Championship
    Member of the Las Vegas Hustle 2008-2009 Pick Em Team Championship

09-10, 12-13, 13-14 All Star
    10-11 Weekly Scoring Title
    09-10 Coach of the Year
    08-09 All Rookie Team

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Everyone is pointing out the negatives and how losing BA will hurt the team but does any think that this actually could help the offense? I think that with one less star player to have to share the ball with, Gordon and Zues could flourish. Both players are showcasing their talents for the next level and would welcome the opportunity to have more offensive touches. It's just a matter of what they will do with it. I'm hoping this will help solve our recent offensive woes by having more specific go to weapons on offense. Instead of having 6 guys that average 7-12 points a game maybe now we have 4-5 guys avg double figures and 2-3 guys at 15 or so per game. Same goes for rebounds instead of having 4 guys from 5-8 boards per game. I see Gordon and Zues increasing to around 10 per game. Both of these theories were evident in the Cal game with both having career games in points and rebounds. Now let's hope they can do even better when we game plan for it.

The reason we lost the Cal game was because Nick had his worse shooting game and Cal couldn't miss. Not necessarily because BA got hurt. Please note, I am not in any way discounting BA's talent and value to the team just trying to be optimistic!
    But neither RHJ or AG can shoot. Brash has nice jumpshot that's hard to replace for the 4 spot.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye