The case for York

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Default The case for York

I just gotta say it woulda been nice to see York get more touches this game. With NJ not hitting and having an injured hand I cringed every time he took a shot.

Maybe there was something defensively York was doing wrong but on a day like that I would hope we go to the better shooting York. And the worst of all NJ was our Hollis this game not passing the ball.

A game like this was bound to happen. I'm glad our guys didn't give up and McConnell, Zeus, and Rondae kept us in this game, we just didn't get that umph to get us over the top.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SV_Wildcat; 02-02-2014 at 07:50 AM.

RawDoggy Style IT'S MILLER TIME's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Ya, obviously Gabe isn't a defensive stalwart like most of other players...but ultimately you gotta play well on both sides of the ball to win and our offense needed a shooter out there so Gabe should have gotten more PT and offensive touches. With Brash out and Nick Johnson either hurt or returning to the infamous brick johnson it was time to unleash York city.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

York is just one of the guys that should be in regularly. We are now stuck with a 6 man rotation. I would love to see Korcheck and Pitts get some regular time also now that we arent saddled with #1 weight anymore. We are going to need them.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Miller is too stubborn to play York more. I can't believe we struggle to get to 60 every game lately with all the future pros on this team.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Has nothing to do with Miller being stubborn. All of a sudden they lose and the coach is stubborn, cannot coach offense, etc... C'mon!! Miller can give these guys all the knowledge, plays and information to execute effectively, but they have to do it. One loss is not the end all, but hopefully it does light a fire for these guys.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by GoCats1 View Post
    Has nothing to do with Miller being stubborn. All of a sudden they lose and the coach is stubborn, cannot coach offense, etc... C'mon!! Miller can give these guys all the knowledge, plays and information to execute effectively, but they have to do it. One loss is not the end all, but hopefully it does light a fire for these guys.

Hey I think Miller is a great recruiter and defensive genius but he is stubborn on the offensive end. For the pac 12 season we don't average 70 points a game. That is mind boggling considering the talent on this team.

Pick Em Rank

The case for York is that he is now the 6th man on a top 5-10 team.

Quite the role.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by catdefender View Post
    Hey I think Miller is a great recruiter and defensive genius but he is stubborn on the offensive end. For the pac 12 season we don't average 70 points a game. That is mind boggling considering the talent on this team.
    When you hold opponents to almost 20 seconds per possession (3rd in the nation) - it's quite difficult to score a bunch of points.

Yes, it'd be nice to be better than 35th nationally in adjusted O efficiency - but at least Arizona is #1 in adjusted D efficiency. Many coaches have more difficulty getting a bunch of high level recruits to play D (ie Duke/Kentucky/Kansas/Michigan/OK State this season).

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Shooting 32.3% this game...36% against Stanford...40% against Utah...this offense needs to pick it up!

Pick Em Rank

you might have to give a little on defense, I think, to get some improvements on offense. York is the best bet to strengthen the offense. We need him!

Scandinavia Dirty Pirates Wildcat Dad's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    York is just one of the guys that should be in regularly. We are now stuck with a 6 man rotation. I would love to see Korcheck and Pitts get some regular time also now that we arent saddled with #1 weight anymore. We are going to need them.
    Agreed. And maybe we should have played them more all along. And sacrificed a few wins along the way,tho hindsight on my part

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Statman View Post
    When you hold opponents to almost 20 seconds per possession (3rd in the nation) - it's quite difficult to score a bunch of points.

Yes, it'd be nice to be better than 35th nationally in adjusted O efficiency - but at least Arizona is #1 in adjusted D efficiency. Many coaches have more difficulty getting a bunch of high level recruits to play D (ie Duke/Kentucky/Kansas/Michigan/OK State this season).
    What do you think happens to our D efficiency without Ashley? I know out of our starters he was our worst man to man defender, but his length and size greatly helped our post defense, which was exposed for sure last night. So what say you?

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by IT'S MILLER TIME View Post
    Ya, obviously Gabe isn't a defensive stalwart like most of other players...but ultimately you gotta play well on both sides of the ball to win and our offense needed a shooter out there so Gabe should have gotten more PT and offensive touches. With Brash out and Nick Johnson either hurt or returning to the infamous brick johnson it was time to unleash York city.
    Yes.

Nicks 1 of 14 was abysmal. York or TJ should've gotten some of those 13 misses. ANYBODY else when it was clear NJ was ice cold.

Miller puts a premium above all else on defense - but we are crying for some offense now. I sure hope he loosens the reins and lets Gabe have some freedom in the offense. He can be a good shooter for us. And who knows? maybe even a great one - if given even a little of the trust Miller gives to Johnson.
    I always think we're gonna' win

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I've always been the one defending York in the past around friends and foes about him getting more PT and what not but IMO he has failed thus far to step up on the big stage when the opportunity has presented itself. Obviously we all know his numbers are up with his extended PT this yr but these next few weeks will allow Gabe to quite or re-awaken the naysayers. Lets hope he steps up to the challenge and proves he is the player we all thought he could be. An offensive weapon that can stretch the floor and change the diameter of the game in a moments notice. Gabe, you got one of the purest shots in the game. Start stroking boss and cement your name into Arizona history. Go Cats

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I'm all for York getting some PT, but confidence is key for him. He has to see the ball go through the basket. I like him shooting the 3 but like to see some more attacking the basket to help with those awful FG% the last few games. Maybe Pitts and mayes can hit a few buckets.

Pick Em Rank

The case for York is simple, he's our 6th man.

Dude's going to get plenty of time to prove himself. Hope he shines.

Pick Em Rank

The interesting thing for me will be how Coach reacts. Right now, the 'Cats are wedded to a three-bigs lineup....very seldom going with three guards on the floor at the same time. Now I think he is going to have to "go small" more often...

He'll start RHJ, AG and Zeus inside, but when it comes time to get those guys some rest or deal with foul trouble, he will need to now either sub in York or Jordin or Korchek. He'll opt for Korchek at times but I suspect he will decide to go small with two of the bigs, and York/NJ/TJ.

That's a very different game than he's been playing. So, as I said, it will be interesting to see....

Pick Em Rank

Miller had to stick with NJ to show him he's our guy and also to show that his confidence in NJ does not waiver. Now York should have increased minutes and will be needed. I'm a big York fan so I hope he capitalizes!