Medcalf's ridiculous latest column

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Red Flafg Medcalf's ridiculous latest column

It is by the far the most ridiculous pieces I have read. (Oh, wait, the one about Syracuse being the best team was worse but anyway)

He basically tells nothing. But not surprised he wrote about us after we struggled the last two games.

--------

If there are any weaknesses on this Arizona roster -- and there are few -- then they can all be summed up like this: Sometimes even the best have bad nights, especially on the road.

That's the only legitimate explanation for what happened to No. 1 Arizona in its occasionally turbulent outing against Stanford. Utah gave the Wildcats trouble at home before that. Both teams pushed the Wildcats. Somehow.

Well, it's not the only explanation. In Arizona's 65-56 victory over Utah last Sunday, the Wildcats made only three of their 14 3-point attempts. Freshman star Aaron Gordon struggled in a 3-for-13 outing. He went 2-for-10 in a 60-57 victory over Stanford on Wednesday. The team missed 11 of 29 free throws.

But the Wildcats held on both nights.

The challenges, however, solidified what we all know about conference play. Regardless of the league, it's never easy. It's never a breeze. From the Missouri Valley to the Big 12, playing 16 or 18 games against familiar foes creates pitfalls at some point in the year, even for elite teams.

So it's not prudent to overlook Arizona's next test, a road game at Cal on Saturday (10:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Network). The Bears are spiraling downward, locked in a three-game losing skid with the No. 1 team in the country coming to town. That's not good. But they're desperate.

And Justin Cobbs (15.5 points per game, 6.0 assists per game) could have a big night. Maybe the Cal team that scored 96 on a ranked Oregon squad will show up.

Considering their recent efforts, however, that's unlikely. In reality, the Bears would need a near-perfect game to beat Arizona.

Sean Miller can win games in many ways.

That's the benefit of having so many capable athletes. Miller doesn't rely on one guy in clutch situations because he doesn’t have to. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (perhaps the future of the program), Gordon, Brandon Ashley, Kaleb Tarczewski, Nick Johnson and T.J. McConnell can all make plays, offensively or defensively, to give Arizona a boost in those scenarios.

Few teams in the past decade have had the luxury of employing so many gifted athletes.

The road, where the Wildcats have displayed some of their vulnerabilities, is often the platform for disaster, though.

No, they shouldn't have much trouble with Cal. But sometimes strange things happen on the road. Arizona's past two games have re-emphasized that notion.

So expect the Wildcats to come out strong and remove that possibility early.

Then again, maybe they'll end up in another scrap.

(Emphasis by myself)

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

WHy does anyone read this retard he has proved he knows nothing...so by saying nothing he proves we know nothing if we read him...

Pick Em Rank

I can respect when a writer has an opposing opinion (such as when he tried to say that Syracuse was the best team in the country) but I can't respect a writer not putting in anything but minimal effort. The fact that he only lists Nick Johnson among Arizona's "capable athletes" (bold statement right there) is inexcusable. He doesn't even try to offer the slightest bit of insight into either team but instead falls back on cliches or countering hypotheticals so he can't be called wrong no matter what happens. The best, and by best I mean worst, part of the column is the ending...

"No, they shouldn't have much trouble with Cal. But sometimes strange things happen on the road. Arizona's past two games have re-emphasized that notion.

So expect the Wildcats to come out strong and remove that possibility early.

Then again, maybe they'll end up in another scrap."

How an ESPN editor can approve such complete nonsense is mind-boggling.
    Ezra Amacher

"It amazes me how often I'm asked by players, "what position will I play, coach?" ... What position does Ginobli play? #thebestplayersplay - Sean Miller's fourth tweet

Pick Em Rank

Dont give this guy your clicks.

Pick Em Rank

I don't have a problem with this article. Conference games on the road against even mediocre teams can be difficult for great teams. It appears like Medcalf is in fact implying that Arizona is the best team in the country. Anyway, Arizona has struggled offensively the past couple of games, and Cal has the height and talent to compete with Arizona. I would be shocked if Arizona annihilates Cal in this game.
    "Riding quasars all the way to the top of the mountain" - Bill Walton
    "#Shouldershimmythempeoples" - Kevin Durant

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

This article is not that bad not that its factually based but its not as bad as some of the clear stupidity across the country by completely ignoring the strength of Arizona and the Pac... This is a wasted thread I feel even stupider for replying to it.... Beardown

Huntington Beach Honey Badgers soazbnb's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

I thought he listed almost our whole rotation as an athlete capable of making an offensive or defensive play.

I don't really have much issue with this article. In fact, I read on espn.com when it was first published, and didn't see it as a slam piece or hating on the UA. Maybe I'm just too laid back?
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up, that's the best they're going to feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I thinks it's funny he thinks Cal could score 96 on our D...That's the funniest $hit I've read all day...Cal will be lucky to score 60 on our D. Don't ever compare our D with Oregon...

Pick Em Rank

Oh gosh. If you don't have a problem with this article, I have a problem with you.

There are so many mixed messages: they struggle on the road, but only sometimes, and at home sometimes too, Cal could win, but they're doing poorly lately so they won't, the road is difficult, but it won't bother the Cats this weekend, or will it?

Bets that he just got an Outlook reminder that read, "400 Words Due on the Wildcats! Don't Mess This One UP!"?
    Last edited by YoDeFoe; 01-31-2014 at 09:36 PM.
    If God isn't a Wildcat fan, then why do I bleed Red and Blue?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Arizona

Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I don't have a problem with this article. Conference games on the road against even mediocre teams can be difficult for great teams. It appears like Medcalf is in fact implying that Arizona is the best team in the country. Anyway, Arizona has struggled offensively the past couple of games, and Cal has the height and talent to compete with Arizona. I would be shocked if Arizona annihilates Cal in this game.

Personally, I just don't like Metcalf but, it's not because he is anti-Arizona or anything like that. He has actually written some good articles on Arizona:

i.e. http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...gordon-arizona.

But he is an east coast guy all the way and you can't assume he is saying Arizona is the best team in this article because just last week he declared "Syracuse the best team in America."

BEAR DOWN

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Stanford and California are tournament teams. Why would their games be a gimme for Arizona? Hell, Utah is a fringe tournament team even. I fully expect Utah to take Oregon or Colorado's spot in the dance. This article is more disrespectful to the other teams in our conference than it is to Arizona.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Seattle Silver Foxes Applequest's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

The only thing that can be said about this article is that it doesn't say much, so remind me why we have a topic about it? Is this a journalism review website? The constant bitching has to stop.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Applequest View Post
    The only thing that can be said about this article is that it doesn't say much, so remind me why we have a topic about it? Is this a journalism review website? The constant bitching has to stop.
    I am new around here so you let me know. having a lot to say is the only criteria to have a topic? I thought some would be interested in this one (and apparently did) as we know what this guy wrote about us last time. all but nothing wildcats.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by YoDeFoe View Post
    Oh gosh. If you don't have a problem with this article, I have a problem with you.

There are so many mixed messages: they struggle on the road, but only sometimes, and at home sometimes too, Cal could win, but they're doing poorly lately so they won't, the road is difficult, but it won't bother the Cats this weekend, or will it?

Bets that he just got an Outlook reminder that read, "400 Words Due on the Wildcats! Don't Mess This One UP!"?
    Yeah, that is what I get from this article.He met a deadline by writing something without saying anything. He allowed for all possibilities like a true ORACLE.

Pick Em Rank

I dont see this as slamming Arizona in any way, but definitely a very uncompelling piece. Ill never have those 90 seconds of my life back

All the talented writers are over at Grantland apparently. The guys whos opinions and analysis are worth reading on espn are dwindling. Medcalf and goodman are the key culprits of saying absolutely nothing worth reading

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Jeez our fanbase has become so touchy! I don't see much wrong here on Medcalf's part (aside from some unispired journalism). There is no doubt in my mind that we are starting to get that respect we deserve. When we first hit #1 it was definitely assumed in the underbelly of collegiate basketball viewership that we'd lose that crown soon enough, and very little literature popped up about us as a result. I'm seeing the columns starting to pop around the general sporting galaxy. We just gotta give the east coast time to come around.