Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We Won, Step Away From The Edge

Pick Em Rank

Default We Won, Step Away From The Edge

Well, Arizona won a close road game against a decent Stanford club. Not easy to do. Much harder to do when you play some ugly basketball. But, in the end, Arizona took about Stanford's best and did enough to win. There was probably some luck involved in a few of Stanford's open FGs and layups not falling for a stretch, but Arizona's defense kept this game in play for the majority of the evening.

There was a flippant comment about the road in another thread, but it's true: just survive on the road. For all intents and purposes, splitting on the road is generally a sign of success in conference play. Arizona guaranteed just that last night. Arizona doesn't get any style points for it, but we got the result.

We moved to 21-0 on the road on a night were we couldn't hit free throws, make open FGs, run a decent break, pull down offensive rebounds, stay out of foul trouble, and one of the best freshman in the country was dared to shoot the ball from 10ft and out. That's a winning team. That's the team that other coaches are afraid of. That's a team that, like Mohammed Ali, takes your best then finds a way to get the decision or knock you out.

Not all games are going to be pretty, just as not all things that happen in one or two games will be a trend. Arizona is working on a sweep or split of the Northern Cal schools in their houses, this is good stuff. Take the win and move on to watch the next game and see how Arizona performs before we step out on the ledge and get ready to jump over hero ball, free throws, freshman wall, looking pro, lack of motivation, etc.
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr5sogzd4j1qfd3x7.gif

I am the one who knocks....I am the Danger!

Pick Em Rank

Well said.
    "If you want what you've never had, you have to do what you've never done." -- Thomas Jefferson

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

We won on the road against a good team, even though we had an off night offensively. How can anyone not be happy about that? Defense wins CHAMPIONSHIPS.
    "Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
    John Wayne

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Stanford was also lucky in some of their shots. For a moment, it felt like everything just went in. The biggest lesson for us should be the way we start the games. I don't remember number of games we came back. This is certainly very good for having faith whenever we are back but at some point, not-very-well-concentrated starts can hurt us badly. If it does, I hope it does during conference games, not anywhere else.

Pick Em Rank

Well said Arty! I found myself frustrated the whole game thinking Stanford was just BALLIN. Then I look at the score and we were winning. Miller will have our boys ready to go come March! I can't believe I had to say that when we are 21 and ****ing 0. Tough road trip, everyone practices for us and spends about 10 minutes a week on ASSU. So obvious the way Cal got pretty much handled last night. If anything, they looked like they were a little bit feeling the 21-0 pressure last night.
    BTFD!!!

Pick Em Rank

Very well said
    Ezra Amacher

"It amazes me how often I'm asked by players, "what position will I play, coach?" ... What position does Ginobli play? #thebestplayersplay - Sean Miller's fourth tweet

Seattle Silver Foxes Don't Pay the Choll Toll's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

While a win is a win, Id be lieing if I said I wasn't a least somewhat concerned. From the end of the Colorado game up to the end of this one, we have probably been playing our worst stretch of offensive basketball. I think a lot of that has to do with Utah and Stanford playing us big and tough on the inside. That just further exposed the weakness of our outside shooting. You could tell Stanford had zero respect for AG and BA shooting ability, and neither could take advantage. We have some tough games coming up (Cal, up at ASU who are on fire right now), so I hope these kinks are worked out.

That is all not to get too down though, we are still 21-0 and #1!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Pay the Choll Toll View Post
    While a win is a win, Id be lieing if I said I wasn't a least somewhat concerned. From the end of the Colorado game up to the end of this one, we have probably been playing our worst stretch of offensive basketball. I think a lot of that has to do with Utah and Stanford playing us big and tough on the inside. That just further exposed the weakness of our outside shooting. You could tell Stanford had zero respect for AG and BA shooting ability, and neither could take advantage. We have some tough games coming up (Cal, up at ASU who are on fire right now), so I hope these kinks are worked out.

Ashley is a good enough shooter; heck, he hit a big 3 for Arizona at one point in the 2nd half as well as a corner jumper.

If teams are going to play off Ashley, Arizona and him will gladly take it.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I agree with the original post and all the follow up comments. There is no reason to jump off the ledge but that almost seems more frustrating. I was so frustrated with our play last night but I'd look at the score and after getting beat up on both ends for what seemed like an eternity we'd only be down a couple. So I'd try to relax and our Cats would throw up some ridiculous shot under coverage instead of finding the open man or fail to follow their shots and let the Cardinal get the rebound over and over. When all was said and done I wanted to scream but my team was 21-0 and #1 in the country. How can I get upset or frustrated? What right do I have?

The fact that Arizona is always in it no matter how badly they play is fantastic and hints at great things. The fact that we seem to be on a downward slide is still scary. In a couple months it's one and done and the competition is going to be fantastic.

Oh well. In Miller we trust. Honor the process.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 View Post
    Ashley is a good enough shooter; heck, he hit a big 3 for Arizona at one point in the 2nd half as well as a corner jumper.

If teams are going to play off Ashley, Arizona and him will gladly take it.
    I agree that he is a decent shooter, especially inside the 3pt line. But last night Stanford was absolutely daring him and AG to shoot. netiher took advantage of it, and we need them too if teams want to follow the "Utah/Stanford" formula to stop our offense.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by vivarizona View Post
    Stanford was also lucky in some of their shots. For a moment, it felt like everything just went in. The biggest lesson for us should be the way we start the games. I don't remember number of games we came back. This is certainly very good for having faith whenever we are back but at some point, not-very-well-concentrated starts can hurt us badly. If it does, I hope it does during conference games, not anywhere else.
    What the hell does this mean?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I personally think these past 2 1/4 games are good for this team come tourney time. They are struggling offensively and their defense is carrying them. Winning these close battles to the very end will absolutely help this team when things aren't going their way come March/April! 21 and counting!!!

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by arizona_pausch View Post
    that they hit some lucky bull**** shots. A couple prayer runners in the lane, Heustis's step back foot-on-the-line jumper...etc

what else do you think he meant?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Daniel Thomas View Post
    I personally think these past 2 1/4 games are good for this team come tourney time. They are struggling offensively and their defense is carrying them. Winning these close battles to the very end will absolutely help this team when things aren't going their way come March/April! 21 and counting!!!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I agree that he is a decent shooter, especially inside the 3pt line. But last night Stanford was absolutely daring him and AG to shoot. netiher took advantage of it, and we need them too if teams want to follow the "Utah/Stanford" formula to stop our offense.
    It. Was. One. Game.

Good grief. The chicken little responses around here over SMALL SAMPLE SIZES is ridiculous.

On the season, Ashley is a 53% shooter, including 39% from three.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 View Post
    It. Was. One. Game.

Good grief. The chicken little responses around here over SMALL SAMPLE SIZES is ridiculous.

On the season, Ashley is a 53% shooter, including 39% from three.
    You're missing the entire point man. Im saying we need them to shoot well to counteract teams playing so off them on the outside. As in I WANT THEM TO SHOOT. Teams are playing those two with absolutely zero pressure on the outside, and both are more than capable of making the shot. If they start hitting those, hell even just taking them, it opens up all the packed in defenses we have been facing.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    Pick Em Rank

You're missing the entire point man. Im saying we need them to shoot well to counteract teams playing so off them on the outside. As in I WANT THEM TO SHOOT. Teams are playing those two with absolutely zero pressure on the outside, and both are more than capable of making the shot. If they start hitting those, hell even just taking them, it opens up all the packed in defenses we have been facing.
    can't say i've seen enough from AG to say this. can he hit it once in a while? sure. But consistently, no way. BA should shoot whenever they give him a free look, though.

Pick Em Rank

Coach Miller

Originally Posted by WildcatYuma View Post
    Well said Arty! I found myself frustrated the whole game thinking Stanford was just BALLIN. Then I look at the score and we were winning. Miller will have our boys ready to go come March! I can't believe I had to say that when we are 21 and ****ing 0. Tough road trip, everyone practices for us and spends about 10 minutes a week on ASSU. So obvious the way Cal got pretty much handled last night. If anything, they looked like they were a little bit feeling the 21-0 pressure last night.
    BTFD!!!
    Cal needs to do something about those butt-ugly grey "uniforms" of theirs. Looked like they were wearing nasty practice gear. Even so, I'm not sure they got man handled by ASU. The Devils blew a 10-point lead near the end, and the final score does not indicate how close it was.

Hopefully they'll dress better for the Arizona game. I suspect they'll be better prepared to play also.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Ric Aspen View Post
    Cal needs to do something about those butt-ugly grey "uniforms" of theirs. Looked like they were wearing nasty practice gear. Even so, I'm not sure they got man handled by ASU. The Devils blew a 10-point lead near the end, and the final score does not indicate how close it was.

Hopefully they'll dress better for the Arizona game. I suspect they'll be better prepared to play also.
    ASSU was up 8-14 most of the game and **** the bed the last 6 minutes or so. My point was we get everyone's best shot because we are #1 and they don't prepare for the junior college in Tempe. Coach goes, "Jahi shoots alot. Don't leave the white dude open for 3...ok now lets work on Arizona for the rest of the week."

I tell you what is ugly is the oversized weird bear head in the middle of the court that matches nothing! It rivals Oregon's tree line for ugly court award.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Stanford out played us in the first, like Huestus and the Serbian(I forgot his name) kept hitting hard shots. But then we looked lost at times. Like in another thread I really cringe when Rondea starts to attack the lane because he gets really reckless at times.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by bengcord3 View Post
    that they hit some lucky bull**** shots. A couple prayer runners in the lane, Heustis's step back foot-on-the-line jumper...etc

what else do you think he meant?
    I don't know...I watched them make jump hooks, reverse layups, contested jump shots (but good looks). I didn't see a lot of "holy crap I can't believe he made that shot" type of plays. I feel if you think they got lucky then maybe we "got lucky" as well.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Explained in the second sentence: "For a moment, it felt like everything just went in."

Also see comment #13.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I don't know...I watched them make jump hooks, reverse layups, contested jump shots (but good looks). I didn't see a lot of "holy crap I can't believe he made that shot" type of plays. I feel if you think they got lucky then maybe we "got lucky" as well.
    Yeah, we've seen games where teams repeatedly hit step-back, off-balance, contested, end-of-shot-clock 3s against the Cats. That wasn't last night. Not even close. They have talented players who played under control, got good position, and took high-quality shots (until the Cats turned up the pressure on D the last ten minutes). Nothing particularly related to luck, that I saw. If our post players had maintained their poise on offense as well as Stanford's, it would have been a very different game.

Desert Diamond Cardsharks Kdogsr.'s Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Wilddcatyuma- you had me cracking up with the coaches ASU game plan thing.

For the first time I was a little worried we wouldn't pull it out..Free throws have got to get better..If we shot better at the line I wouldn't have had to sweat it out so much and it would have been a 10+ point win
    Last edited by Kdogsr.; 01-30-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Pick Em Rank

If we can't smash Cal inside, then I know something is definitely wrong.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

Maui Big Black Howler Monkeys DoubleJ's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

I'll echo my own point about our supposed "NBA-ready" players: they're not. Look, I'm not naive, I know AG will go, and probably be a lottery pick at that, so my rant is more about the culture of pro basketball treating young players like cheap commodities. But come on, no one is guarding AG outside of the paint and he looks hesitant and unconfident, never mind the free throws. He'll get minutes next year on his defense and rebounding, which are excellent, but his shooting is that of an average high schooler. Rondae has great versatility, but again, a bit out of control, and just needs to mature a bit. I hate that everyone is in such a hurry. These kids look like puppies trying to find their legs and they think they can play at a high level in the NBA?! Brandon Ashley is a nice college player, but whose he going to guard in the NBA? Fours will overpower him (as many college 4's have this year and last), and threes will blow by him easily. Look how dominant Derrick Williams was in college and he's quickly become a journeyman 8th man of little consequence. It's a man's league, boys. Okay, rant over.

Pick Em Rank

Arty is spot on with his analysis from the game. Stanford was hyped up for the game and being the #1 team in the land you will always have a giant target on your back. Every conference game they play you can bet they are going to get the opposing teams best effort. Any road win is a good win and you don't need style points in college basketball this isn't the BCS. The Cats (Nick Johnson especially) clutched up the last 10 minutes of the game and closed it out. Take confidence in that if Arizona isn't scoring well you can be damn sure they aren't going to let their opponent score on them.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by DoubleJ View Post
    I'll echo my own point about our supposed "NBA-ready" players: they're not. Look, I'm not naive, I know AG will go, and probably be a lottery pick at that, so my rant is more about the culture of pro basketball treating young players like cheap commodities. But come on, no one is guarding AG outside of the paint and he looks hesitant and unconfident, never mind the free throws. He'll get minutes next year on his defense and rebounding, which are excellent, but his shooting is that of an average high schooler. Rondae has great versatility, but again, a bit out of control, and just needs to mature a bit. I hate that everyone is in such a hurry. These kids look like puppies trying to find their legs and they think they can play at a high level in the NBA?! Brandon Ashley is a nice college player, but whose he going to guard in the NBA? Fours will overpower him (as many college 4's have this year and last), and threes will blow by him easily. Look how dominant Derrick Williams was in college and he's quickly become a journeyman 8th man of little consequence. It's a man's league, boys. Okay, rant over.
    My favorite post i've seen on PGU in awhile (besides Ace's). I wish people understood the difference between a man's game and a college kid's game. The NBA is definitely a man's game. The body development and skill is so far advanced from what college kids are used to, most are just not ready for it. The most irritating thing is that the NBA GM's are all trying to find that 'next big thing'. They take chances on players that they never would simply b/c their jobs depend on them finding a superstar to trot out in front of fans on a nightly basis. They will burn thru young player after young player trying to find the next Kobe Bryant or Lebron James and the majority of time they find a Korleone Young. You brought up a great example. DWill was dominating his Soph year and he has yet to establish himself as a legit player that will be little more than a bench player that goes from team to team to team. Bayless says hi by the way. Bottom line is that your game WILL be exposed in the NBA if you are not physically ready for the game or developmentally ready for the game in terms of your talent. The GM's and coaches will give you a short stint to prove your 'potential' justified them drafting you but if you can't live up to it they will simply move on to the next fish in the sea.

All that being said if a player gets to stick around even as a journeyman, they will still make a nice little league min salary of hundreds of thousands per year so can't fault them for that. But the truth is that most kids that leave early are expecting themselves to be the next big thing. A reality check should be put in place for them. I agree with you, AG will leave and he'll be a lottery pick (I think lower than he thinks he should go), but his game just doesn't appear to be NBA ready right now. We see flashes of brilliance but imagine if he stayed and developed more (yes you can continue to develop your game after your freshman year peeps!). The reality is that the unemployment line is littered with people that jumped ship too early thinking their games and bodies were NBA ready. It's a man's game and very few boy's are ready for prime time. The select few yes, but the number of players leaving early nowadays is a travesty.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Simon Says View Post
    Arty is spot on with his analysis from the game. Stanford was hyped up for the game and being the #1 team in the land you will always have a giant target on your back. Every conference game they play you can bet they are going to get the opposing teams best effort. Any road win is a good win and you don't need style points in college basketball this isn't the BCS. The Cats (Nick Johnson especially) clutched up the last 10 minutes of the game and closed it out. Take confidence in that if Arizona isn't scoring well you can be damn sure they aren't going to let their opponent score on them.
    I LOVE that about this team! At no time when watching the game last night did I ever feel like we didn't have a damn good chance of winning. I honestly believed the entire time we would come back and take over at the end. This team has proven over and over that it isn't going to be phased by a deficit in games and it sticks with it and continues to put in the work to come back and win games. You could say their 'sphincters' are not tightening up in the late stages of games :)

Pick Em Rank

but let's also be realistic in saying that Stanford is actually a pretty good team. They went on the road to win at uconn, had a close loss to Michigan and won at Oregon. They may not be top 10 material but they're solid and we won on their home floor. They've had their ups and downs but a win on their floor is a good win, especially considering we couldn't throw it in the ocean last night.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by thecatsmeow View Post
    but let's also be realistic in saying that Stanford is actually a pretty good team. They went on the road to win at uconn, had a close loss to Michigan and won at Oregon. They may not be top 10 material but they're solid and we won on their home floor. They've had their ups and downs but a win on their floor is a good win, especially considering we couldn't throw it in the ocean last night.
    I never said Stanford wasn't a good team. I think Dwight Powell has a NBA future, and they are a solid bubble team right now at least, and of course, playing on the road in conference is never easy (especially with the target we have on our backs). But lets remember we are the best team in the country, and that Stanford defense, while solid, showed little respect for our shooting and we need to take advantage of those opportunities instead of playing into their hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast