Got This Feeling/ Miller's Year

Pick Em Rank

Default Got This Feeling/ Miller's Year

Sitting here at 21-0 I can't help but feel that we Cats fans are in for something special this season. We have already broken records such as: longest winning streak in program history(21-0), best start being undefeated to start a season (21-0), longest consecutive run at #1 for 7 weeks (maybe 8 if we win @ Cal). And we are one of 3 undefeated teams still in February, which hasn't been done since the 70's. Stanford has the record year in Pac-12's history going 26-0 in 2004 before losing (we have a chance to eclipse that record). We have a player in Nick Johnson that is not only the front-runner for conference player of the year, but is very much in the mix for National POY. Also Aaron Gordon is in discussion for National Freshman of the year honors. At this point, I think, we have made a clear case to be a #1 seed in the NCAA Tourney, giving us the best OPPORTUNITY to reach the Final Four, or National Championship.

Now the other side of the coin lies on the shoulders of coach Sean Miller. I think he has done a fantastic job this season, and I have no complaints. But I'm curious to see how he and our team close out the season from here on out. Looking at Miller's career record, from his 5 seasons at Xavier to now his first 5 seasons at Arizona, they are almost identical. At Xavier he was 120-47. At Arizona he is currently 117-43. At Xavier he had a 30 win team reach the Elite 8, and also had a sweet 16 appearance. At Arizona, he has done the same.

With how good and well- balanced our team is this year, I just think Miller has all the keys set out right in front of him for a VERY special season (not to mention a TRUE point guard). I'm going out on a limb and saying that it is literally Final Four or bust. I think if we fail to at least reach the Final Four this year that we haven't proved anything but us being a good team, not a GREAT or ELITE team. Now I understand that in March, anything can happen, but I just believe we are too well coached and fluid and determined as a team to back down. So, as the title reads, this is Miller's year to win a Championship, and I'm watching closely to see if he will execute. But, so far so good.
    SEND IT IN JEROME!!!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Couldnt agree more.

Seattle Silver Foxes Don't Pay the Choll Toll's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Keep seeing these posts, and while I share your sentiment, I think a lot of people are underestimating the amount of luck it takes to make a final 4, let alone win the title. Obviously this team has the talent and ability to make it, but so do a lot of other teams. for example there has been some great teams in recent memory that didn't make the final 4

- 2001 Cincinatti (2nd round)
    - 2004 Stanford (2nd round)
    - 2004 St. Joes (Elite 8)
    - 2011 Duke (Sweet 16)
    - 1997 Kansas (Sweet 16)

And that list goes on and on.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Pay the Choll Toll View Post
    Keep seeing these posts, and while I share your sentiment, I think a lot of people are underestimating the amount of luck it takes to make a final 4, let alone win the title. Obviously this team has the talent and ability to make it, but so do a lot of other teams. for example there has been some great teams in recent memory that didn't make the final 4

- 2011 Duke (Sweet 16)
    - 1997 Kansas (Sweet 16)

1998 Arizona
    2003 Arizona
    2005 Arizona

Pick Em Rank

- 2011 Duke (Sweet 16)
    - 1997 Kansas (Sweet 16)

1. LOL@ 2011 Duke on that list. Nothing that great about that team by any stretch.
    2. Wasn't that Cincinnati team the one where Kenyon Martin got injured just before the tournament?

Pick Em Rank
    Twitter: @BeardownBill
    Papadeuce - "Whenever i meet up with kane my wife says to "tell your boyfriend hi for me""
    AztecWildcat - "There are more lawyers than people on this website. Jesus."
    GulfCoastCat - "grapejuice isn't rod?"
    Ryno - "
    ****, I better take a shower before work. I smell like DawgWarrior"
    cjw2222 - "The only thing Rondae can't shoulder shimmy? eeisners sex life"

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by FREAK View Post
    1. LOL@ 2011 Duke on that list. Nothing that great about that team by any stretch.
    2. Wasn't that Cincinnati team the one where Kenyon Martin got injured just before the tournament?
    Yeah, that was the Cincy team where Kenyon Martin broke his leg the first game of the conference tournament.
    "When I took my visit to UofA, it was like the heavens opened up and showed me the light and behind that light, McKale Center" - Channing Frye

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Yep.

Also notice that we sent two of those 5 teams home (The 97 Kansas team and the 2011 Duke team).

Pick Em Rank

2011 Duke was a heavy favorite going into that season with so many returnees, but I agree, they were far from great.

And yes, that Cincinnati team, Kenyon Martin was obviously the star, but that was still a great team and they went out in the 2nd round.

Point is in the tourney, it takes a lot more than just being a good team

Pick Em Rank

I woulda also thrown 2005 Illinois up there, but they did make the final 4 and UNC was just too good that year

EDIT: also because we don't speak of this team.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

- 2011 Duke (Sweet 16)
    - 1997 Kansas (Sweet 16)

Gee I wonder who messed their season up.......Muhahahaha GO CATS! HATE Kansas!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Glaive View Post
    Yep.

Also notice that we sent two of those 5 teams home (The 97 Kansas team and the 2011 Duke team).
    Those are the 2 teams I hate the most on that list too.....and what is with you avatar?!?!?!