Odd Officiating

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Default Odd Officiating

Aside from our selfish play and poor performance, did anyone else find the officiating awkward? Miller and the players all expressed frustration in ways we haven't seen this year. The inconsistency is what I found maddening. I'm not one to bag on the refs all the time, but this was a puzzling one. Blocks that were charges, muggings that weren't called, etc. Despite Rondae's errant drives, he does usually get clobbered and did so multiple times without a call last night.

Seattle Silver Foxes Don't Pay the Choll Toll's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

It really did feel like the officials were lost, and that went both ways. The first 30 minutes they called just about anything and everything that even remotely looked like a foul, then they absolutely swallowed their whistles. That's really tough to adjust to.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I noticed. I know it's an old story...the refs were calling biased. I know it's not supposed to be happening again. But I noticed Zeus was getting fouls for doing the same or less than Stanford's bigs. I especially noticed when I believe it was Huestis drove straight into TJ with his arm extended and knocked TJ on his butt, with TJ moving straight backwards and while moving had established position...yet it was a blocking foul. I really thought Coach Miller was going to get T'd up for that.

But, What are you going to do?

I think that the Cats should make sure that the score is such that the refs can't take it from them.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

There was also a charge call on Arizona, I forget who had it called on him, that was about as bogus as it gets.

The issue with TJ's was that Huestis committed an offensive foul, that was not called; but then Huestis tripped over TJ, who had fallen over from the charge, which prompted the ref to call a foul on TJ. It was a terribly called sequence.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

There was also a charge call on Arizona, I forget who had it called on him, that was about as bogus as it gets.

The issue with TJ's was that Huestis committed an offensive foul, that was not called; but then Huestis tripped over TJ, who had fallen over from the charge, which prompted the ref to call a foul on TJ. It was a terribly called sequence.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    Pick Em Rank

there was a charge called on Rondae in the first half in which the guy clearly was sliding, but they made up for it by calling a block when rondae drove in the second half and it was clearly a charge.

I was actually much more frustrated with the calls on Zeus, and also the charge called on AG when the guy clearly slid UNDER him and wasn't straight up and down when there was contact.

When Zeus went for the dunk over the Stanford big I have NO CLUE how they didn't call a foul, it blew my mind and I almost scared my wife half to death when i screamed at that one

Pick Em Rank

My girlfriend, a Wildcat but a casual fan, screamed at the TV that the calls were BS. Mostly the calls on Zeus as well as the foul on AG where the defender slip under while AG was a foot off the ground. If she sees it, I believe it.
    If God isn't a Wildcat fan, then why do I bleed Red and Blue?

Baltimore Blowfish TraneofThought's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

I don't buy "biased" officiating, but I definitely buy "poor" officiating; and this conference has plenty of it. Some of these guys are just flat out f*cking awful at their job. There's really no two-ways about it.

I realize the job isn't easy, but when you look like you've never seen the game of basketball before - let alone officiated it - something is wrong. I don't know if the solution is better training or better hiring practices, but something has got to change.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Yeah the refs seemed dazed at times and then called odd fouls.

surrounded by an army of 2. Which i created...
    Pick Em Rank

Walton said at one point, along the lines of, "Powell has committed a foul ever posession now" Something like that. It's walton, so basically a useless comment.

Otherwise, I could care less. I didn't notice too much that made me scream.

I do recall, earlier this year, a game where there were 50 fouls (was pointed out in the SB while several others were watching) between the two teams with something like 8 min left in the game. 3 or so called the rest of the way, with no appreciable change in the "physicality" of the game. That type of mid game whistle swallowing is unacceptable. Was a B1G game, I believe. If it's a foul in the first 5 min, it should be in the last 5 min. You could also see on the players faces the confusion. It had to be the poorest job officiating I've seen in years.

surrounded by an army of 2. Which i created...
    Pick Em Rank

oh, and the only thing that makes Walton's comment even the slightest bit credible (it's not, fwiw) is that he is of the mindset that a big man hasn't committed a foul in the history of western civilization, even when the balance of the known universe is in their hands...

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I am glad someone posted about the refs. It felt like they were a big part of ruining any rhythm we were getting into. Feels like we constantly play against the refs. Only good thing about it is, come tourney time we should be unaffected by bad calls etc.

Pick Em Rank

Some calls had me screaming but perhaps it was a way to vent for the way the CATS were playing.

Ultimately though, the Furds had 23 fouls to our 18. We went 18-29 from the line, we left 11 points on the table....

I think it's fair to say that if we shoot better from the FT line, the officiating wouldn't be magnified...
    #4Bashley

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Looked like a typical road game being officiated to me. The calls at home that are bogus is what makes me scream.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I don't think the officiating was in any way biased, but it was inconsistent and completely took the game out of any rhythm at crucial junctures. I still don't know what the charge/block criteria was last night, or why a hand-check 35 feet from the basket could be a foul on one trip but a mugging 3.5 feet from the basket on the next trip wasn't a foul. And it seemed like the last 10 minutes or so was a completely different crew from the first 30.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by TraneofThought View Post
    I don't buy "biased" officiating, but I definitely buy "poor" officiating; and this conference has plenty of it. Some of these guys are just flat out f*cking awful at their job. There's really no two-ways about it.

I realize the job isn't easy, but when you look like you've never seen the game of basketball before - let alone officiated it - something is wrong. I don't know if the solution is better training or better hiring practices, but something has got to change.
    I don't usually find myself agreeing with Trane, but I do here. The officiating was terribly inconsistent both ways. I actually thought we got away with quite a few fouls midway through the first half when it seemed Stanford got whistled for about 7 straight fouls (some very tick tack ones at that) to put us in the double bonus. Then to completely swallow their whistles for a majority of the second half after calling about 25 fouls in the first half was just baffling. It's good in the fact that no one wound up fouling out, but if anything the second half was more physical than the first. Bad calls happen and are a part of the game I think we have all come to expect and to some degree accept. It's just the blatant inconsistency within a game that is maddening....
    "I know Ms. Pac-Man is special. She's fun. She's cute. She swallows."

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I found the officiating inconsistent both ways which was frustrating both teams.

What I'm more curious about is how other people outside of the PAC12 felt about the officiating. I mean the PAC12 refs still seem to have a bad reputation and I'm sure this didn't help being on national TV...

Pick Em Rank

Overall this season I think the officiating has been better than last year because there seems to be more consistency throughout a game. This doesn't mean I agree with all the calls or don't think there have been some lousy calls.

But, as many of you have noted, last night was frustrating because the officiating was inconsistent for both teams. Either call the foul throughout the game or don't call the foul throughout the game.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I agree. I thought the refs stunk it up. It did not allow any flow to the game and the inconsistent calls did not allow the players to be able to adjust to how the game was going to be called.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I seriously think that the PAC12 wants Arizona to lose. Once the game appeared to be out of reach against Colorado, it seemed as though the refs did everything in their power to give the buffs more opportunities, and to stop us from going on any more runs. Everytime we were about to turn it back on, the momentum was completely stopped with some bogus call. The refs were not letting us get into any kind of rhythem in the second half of that game. I have seen this other conference games as well. A win against the number one team in the nation is going to be a massive resume booster come March, and if the PAC12 wants as many teams in the tourni as possible, it's going to need teams like Colordo and Stanford to get a huge wins agaisnt us. Considering what the refs did last year, I would not put it by Larry Scott and the rest of the PAC12 to try and screw us out of a win for the betterment of the confrence.

Pick Em Rank

What say you Red?

Wildcat Fan dr.kennethnoisewater's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A

That game was so ugly and physical with so many bodies condensed in the paint that it was an officiating quagmire. As for the foul discrepancy between halves, teams adjust to the refs.

There are missed calls every game, but it's easy for fans to create a narrative when a road game goes to the wire.

BTW every conference thinks they have the worst officials.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I have been watching other conferences play more this year than I have in the past. And I have found that the refs let the kids play. They stay away from most of the minor hand fouls and incidental body contact. Where as in the Pac-12 they will call them more often. In my opinion this is why the pac has a reputation of being soft. Ruins the flow of the game.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Judge Buechler View Post
    I seriously think that the PAC12 wants Arizona to lose. Once the game appeared to be out of reach against Colorado, it seemed as though the refs did everything in their power to give the buffs more opportunities, and to stop us from going on any more runs. Everytime we were about to turn it back on, the momentum was completely stopped with some bogus call. The refs were not letting us get into any kind of rhythem in the second half of that game. I have seen this other conference games as well. A win against the number one team in the nation is going to be a massive resume booster come March, and if the PAC12 wants as many teams in the tourni as possible, it's going to need teams like Colordo and Stanford to get a huge wins agaisnt us. Considering what the refs did last year, I would not put it by Larry Scott and the rest of the PAC12 to try and screw us out of a win for the betterment of the confrence.
    Why would Arizona losing be better for the Pac 12? You may have a good answer, I'm seriously interested in knowing if you do. I would think having the number one team in the country undefeated would give Pac 12 more exposure than having a bunch of 3-7 loss teams that beat up on each other every night. That's what basically happened last year and you saw where the Pac 12 teams were ranked in the tourney.

I think the officiating is the same as it has always been in the Pac 12 or Pac 10. Consistently inconsistent. At the end of the day the reason the Stanford game ended up the way it did was because we shot 36% from the field and missed some key free throws.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Hesscat View Post
    Why would Arizona losing be better for the Pac 12? You may have a good answer, I'm seriously interested in knowing if you do. I would think having the number one team in the country undefeated would give Pac 12 more exposure than having a bunch of 3-7 loss teams that beat up on each other every night. That's what basically happened last year and you saw where the Pac 12 teams were ranked in the tourney.

I think the officiating is the same as it has always been in the Pac 12 or Pac 10. Consistently inconsistent. At the end of the day the reason the Stanford game ended up the way it did was because we shot 36% from the field and missed some key free throws.
    Arizona losing to a Pac-12 team on the bubble could very well get that bubble team into the tourney. The more tournament teams for the conference equates to more money for the conference. FWIW I don't have any sort of conspiracy theory in regards to the Pac-12 dicking Arizona over, but Arizona losing to a team like Cal or Oregon or Stanford would help the conference in that way, hence the logic behind his post.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Sorry if my response was confusing. What I am trying to say, whether this is true or not, is that a one loss ariozna team is still going to be a number one overall seed in the tournament no matter what. If that one loss comes to a bubble team, that just so happens to be in the PAC12, that is great for the conference. Arizona will still have its number one seed, and an extra Pac12 team may make it into the tournament because of that massive resume booster.

I realize this is unlikely, but the cynic in me thinks that more teams in the tournament=more money for the conference.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Sorry if my response was confusing. What I am trying to say, whether this is true or not, is that a one loss ariozna team is still going to be a number one overall seed in the tournament no matter what. If that one loss comes to a bubble team, that just so happens to be in the PAC12, that is great for the conference. Arizona will still have its number one seed, and an extra Pac12 team may make it into the tournament because of that massive resume booster.

I realize this is unlikely, but the cynic in me thinks that more teams in the tournament=more money for the conference.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Judge Buechler View Post

That's not cynical, that's a completely accurate fact.