Luckily...

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Default Luckily...

We play ridiculously good defense.

Seattle Silver Foxes Applequest's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Nothing lucky about it. Offense comes and goes, defense you can control. Time after time in close games we have shown the ability to shut the other team down completely when it matters most. That's how you go 21-0.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

rondae and gordon played horribly today. countless horrible drive by rondae that drove me nuts. gordon should just stop taking 3's. a blindfolded gabe will make a better percentage.
    it shouldn't have been this difficult of a win. Haven't seen the boxscore but I think this game is the lowest assist game we had, because those 2 didn't make the extra pass

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

rondae and gordon played horribly today. countless horrible drive by rondae that drove me nuts. gordon should just stop taking 3's. a blindfolded gabe will make a better percentage.
    it shouldn't have been this difficult of a win. Haven't seen the boxscore but I think this game is the lowest assist game we had, because those 2 didn't make the extra pass

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

12 assists. There were an uncharacteristic number of solo plays. Rondae, God love him, had too many. AG was so deflated and totally out of confidence by the end of the game. Our first game of the year we've been outrebounded. Let's hope they shake it off and get back to the gameplan for Cal. I'm confident they can do it. I hate Maples.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Coach Miller needs to make it VERY clear to Aaron that he WILL NOT jack a 3 with 31 seconds on the shot clock.

Defense can't always win the game...the Wildcats need to fix the offense. It looked tonight like the Wildcats were worried about losing from the start. Trying too hard, not enough assists, and ill advised shots.

Even with all of that they prove that they can still win.

And, so far ASU has been leading the game with Cal for about the entire game.

If they can beat Cal, and then the Wildcats beat Cal, that pretty much takes Cal out of the Pac race. Looks like it'll be UofA and UCLA.

Stranger things have happened.

Bear Down Wildcats! Get that offense back up and bring home the sweep.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Arizona's offense was just horrible, I never saw a set play to the post. Players forcing they're offense, I was just saying "WOW" the entire time.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

How the hell do we get away from everything that makes us good offensively? Besides the obvious AG playing with no confidence and Rondae out of control, when is BASH going to get the ball slashing to the bucket and posting up instead of going to the perimeter everytime???? He doesn't even catch the ball near the bucket like he did vs Michigan when he had his best game of the year. Also, when are we going to start running sets for Zues again? He touched the ball like 3 times tonight on offense. You'd think if there was any game to expose and opponent with our front line it would be this one. I kept waiting for us to pound it inside and make it the priority and it never happened. It didn't even seem like the game plan. Some of those dudes Stanford had on the floor should've been ideal matchups for us and we didn't even look to expose them....especially when Powell was in foul trouble which was most the night. Honestly we looked like last years stagnet offense and I can't stand that. Thank god for TJ and Nick. Tonight was alarming and I hope we go back to what made us good.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by titan4wildcats View Post
    Coach Miller needs to make it VERY clear to Aaron that he WILL NOT jack a 3 with 31 seconds on the shot clock.

Defense can't always win the game...the Wildcats need to fix the offense. It looked tonight like the Wildcats were worried about losing from the start. Trying too hard, not enough assists, and ill advised shots.

If they can beat Cal, and then the Wildcats beat Cal, that pretty much takes Cal out of the Pac race. Looks like it'll be UofA and UCLA.

Miller needs to make it clear to Gordon that he should only dunk the ball. I love the kid but he can't shoot.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Nastic was flopping so bad i am surprised Miller didnt get called for a foul. That guy was hitting everyone. Hard to find a rhythm when the whistle blows every minute. Thankfully we have game on both sides of the ball.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I wonder, were Arizona and Cal both thinking about their game tonight....instead of the one they played/are playing?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Gordon is being dared to shoot. He needs to take the shots with confidence to make the defense honest. Perhaps they've hit the freshman wall offensively, but you have to love their defensive intensity and rebounding. Rondeau got mugged all night and no calls.

Seattle Silver Foxes Applequest's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

I wonder, were Arizona and Cal both thinking about their game tonight....instead of the one they played/are playing?
    Why exactly would Arizona look past Stanford for Cal, they are pretty much the same.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by tpc82 View Post
    Miller needs to make it clear to Gordon that he should only dunk the ball. I love the kid but he can't shoot.
    the thing is he can hit that little runner in the paint. He just looks like he is so in his own head he cant even do that right now. He even had a few defensive lapses.

Pick Em Rank

Miller needs to be clear that we need to bring that effort we show in crunch time, 35 minutes earlier.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Esq View Post
    I disagree to say the least. If Nick or Gabe or Ash or TJ have an open look, take it regardless how much time is on the shot clock. Sick of passing up open shots for slightly closer contested shots.

Miller needs to be clear that we need to bring that effort we show in crunch time, 35 minutes earlier.
    you disagree? with AG shooting 3s with 31 seconds in the shot clock?

dude I don't care if it's practice I don't want AG shooting a 3. I don't care how open he is, HE CAN'T SHOOT. he should take, LITERALLY, 0 threes the rest of the year. I know that won't happen, but if we are talking about what's best for the team, AG never shooting another jump shot this season is it.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by bengcord3 View Post
    you disagree? with AG shooting 3s with 31 seconds in the shot clock?

dude I don't care if it's practice I don't want AG shooting a 3. I don't care how open he is, HE CAN'T SHOOT. he should take, LITERALLY, 0 threes the rest of the year. I know that won't happen, but if we are talking about what's best for the team, AG never shooting another jump shot this season is it.
    I missed the qualifier of Aaron. I edited my post.

Aaron shouldn't do anything but dunking the ball. Front end, Just fukkin chuck the goddamn ball against the back board and give us a chance to rebound it.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Looks like we have a total or eight 3's for the season between AG and Rondae. I know a couple of 3's Gordon's were off the glass. If either could develop any kind of mid-range jumper, floater or anything that wasn't directly under the basket it would be great.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I think it's almost comical that we got out rebounded, shot a lower shooting % and had more turnovers yet still won the game. Defense wins games.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by vrsn_vrsn View Post
    Looks like we have a total or eight 3's for the season between AG and Rondae. I know a couple of 3's Gordon's were off the glass. If either could develop any kind of mid-range jumper, floater or anything that wasn't directly under the basket it would be great.
    It's way past that point in the season.

These guys are who they are. Maybe we see their practice FT's translate into game FT's, but developing anything at this point is unlikely and most likely detrimental.

These guys need to be hustle guys right now. Hit the glass hard, drive to the bucket, dunk everything in reach or pass it.

As Miller says, Do what you do, and do it better than everyone else/the other team. These guys are excellent at hustle plays and doing work around the rim. Put them there and keep them there.

Pick Em Rank

Coach Miller

Will Zeus please teach the freshmen how to shoot free throws? I don't get it, Coach Miller is such a good free throw shooter; seems like the whole team would follow suit.

Neither team played particularly well. Walton nailed it when he said both teams were trying too hard.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I wonder if AG read the article on ESPN before the game. "Gordon hasn't made a 3-point attempt since Dec. 19 against Southern. (He's 0-for-6 during that span.)". He was trying to show something which is not really something necessary. He was great in the defensive with a huge block! One thing I was really sad is that he tried to shoot himself while he could simply pass it to Zeus who could have dunk it easily. Instead, he caused offensive foul..

And for Rondae, He is great and I loved that he caused lots of fouls and some of the players of Stanford were in foul trouble thanks to him. But seriously why is he the only person to consistently penetrate inside? I don't even mention his coast-to-coast trials.. He brings a lot of energy to the game but he should simply learn to control some of it.

Finally, I don't think we should start the play or do something in the offensive end before Nick, Zeus or TJ touches the ball. (unless it is fast-break or sthg)

These are things that we can really work on and be much better. We are still #1 in the country and we deserve it for sure. I trust Sean Miller to prepare us till the tournament time by taking care of minor issues.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Ric Aspen View Post
    Will Zeus please teach the freshmen how to shoot free throws? I don't get it, Coach Miller is such a good free throw shooter; seems like the whole team would follow suit.

Neither team played particularly well. Walton nailed it when he said both teams were trying too hard.
    Zeus had great form coming out of HS.

These guys are a **** show at the line and can't lean on their form.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Gee....looks like our freshmen are FRESHMEN after all. LOTS of freshman mistakes tonight in just about every aspect of the game...fouls, turnovers, forced shots, selfish play, and blown FTs. Good thing you can suck so bad on offense and still KILL IT on defense.

Glad that train wreck is behind us...now let's get ready for Cal. We better be ready because Cal is not going to want to drop another after losing to ASU in overtime tonight. We come out like tonight, and people will not need to cheer for a loss anymore.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

The last two games, I think the way Utah and Stanford played defense bothered us offensively. What I see is that teams are dareing Aaron and Ronde to shoot the ball. Earlier in the season, Aaron was making perimeter shots to at least keep the defense slightly more honest.

I dont have have a problem with Aaron or Rondae shooting a three or mid-range jumper within the flow of the offense. They're both basketball players and need to shoot with confidence. If one or two of those shots go in, it'll force the defense to hesitate on sagging off.

2012 Angler of the Year revodog11's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Luke Walton Dime View Post
    How the hell do we get away from everything that makes us good offensively? Besides the obvious AG playing with no confidence and Rondae out of control, when is BASH going to get the ball slashing to the bucket and posting up instead of going to the perimeter everytime???? He doesn't even catch the ball near the bucket like he did vs Michigan when he had his best game of the year. Also, when are we going to start running sets for Zues again? He touched the ball like 3 times tonight on offense. You'd think if there was any game to expose and opponent with our front line it would be this one. I kept waiting for us to pound it inside and make it the priority and it never happened. It didn't even seem like the game plan. Some of those dudes Stanford had on the floor should've been ideal matchups for us and we didn't even look to expose them....especially when Powell was in foul trouble which was most the night. Honestly we looked like last years stagnet offense and I can't stand that. Thank god for TJ and Nick. Tonight was alarming and I hope we go back to what made us good.

Maybe this is a good question for Tj,
    Why are guys not getting wide open dunks?
    Why is BA only getting the ball on the perimeter?
    Why is Rondae and AG bringing the ball up and immediately driving to the basket?
    Why are there no set plays for Kaleb?

TJ needs to take control of his guys.
    The secret to success is knowing who to blame for your failures

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

It's pretty amazing that you can tell who has and who hasn't played competitive basketball in their lives, just by reading this thread.

I don't give a rats ass who the team is...games like this HAPPEN. It's the flow of the game. The schedule. The season.

Last night was a low possession, grind it out type game...just like Utah. Some teams are going to try and play this type of game against Arizona...because if they didn't, they would get blown out of the gym.

It's 2 games out of 21 that have had these things occur...9.5% of the season thus far. Get a grip.

Pick Em Rank

OK so I don't know how to make my image proper sized and I've wasted enough time on this, but below (and linked for larger size) is a sample of our "real" games this season ranked by total possession in the game from least to most. The formula for possessions is taken from John Hollinger: Poss.= FGA+TO-OReb+(FTA*0.44).

Untitled.jpg

Take from that what you will.
    If God isn't a Wildcat fan, then why do I bleed Red and Blue?