Aaron Gordon vs Derrick Williams

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Default Aaron Gordon vs Derrick Williams

I though it would be fun to compare the two since AG is looking like Arizona's next NBA lottery pick and DWill being the highest UA pick in recent years. Looking strictly at stats one could make an argument that DWill is the better player, also Derrick's offensive game was more polished than Aaron's.

You could make a case that AG's defense and "motor" are superior but I would argue that DWill was no slouch either. The x-factors I would say that separates the two is Gordon's uncanny second jump (right after landing) to get an offensive board versus Williams knack for drawing the foul and getting to the line.

Hypothetically, if you had to chose one of these two to anchor your team at the beginning of the season , who would you chose? (Try not to involve the emotions of this wonderfully historic year)

Derrick Williams Stat Summary:

Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
    2010-11 38 30.0 19.5 59.5 56.8 74.6 1.1 8.3 0.7 1.0
    2009-10 31 28.2 15.7 57.4 25.0 68.1 0.7 7.1 0.6 0.6

Career 69 29.2 17.8 58.6 51.1 71.9 0.9 7.7 0.7 0.8

Aaron Gordon Stat Summary:
    Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
    2013-14 20 30.4 12.3 48.8 29.2 45.3 1.6 7.8 0.9 0.7

Seattle Silver Foxes Don't Pay the Choll Toll's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Its really hard to say. I think most of us remember Derrick Williams as a Sophomore, rather than his Freshman year in consideration to AG. Not to say Derrick wasn't a stud as a Freshman, but his game was not nearly what it was in his 2nd year. His jumpshot was not quite there, and he was working mostly with athleticism on the offensive end, as AG does.

If we were comparing Freshman year to freshman year, its AG easily. His defense and effort are far and away better than Derrick's ever was.

Pick Em Rank

Isn't DWill Arizona's highest draft pick ever? Speaking of motor, what the f' happened to dwill? He's really hard to watch play (stand around) these days.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by surgeon View Post
    Isn't DWill Arizona's highest draft pick ever? Speaking of motor, what the f' happened to dwill? He's really hard to watch play (stand around) these days.
    He tied with Mike Bibby at #2

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

That's a real hard choice because they both have parts of their game that they are both excellent at. I would really like to see Aaron come back for his sophomore game. It would be fantastic to watch him play with all the skills he has now with the addition of being able to make shots from midrange to past the arc. He would be such a terror on the court then. He's already that in a lot of respects, but with the addition of a high shooting percentage from other than close to the basket he would be the ultimate player. I know it's EXTREMELY hard to resist what will be dangled in front of him, but I can't seriously believe that playing another year here and refining his game would cause his stock to drop. JMO

Pick Em Rank

it's dwill. easy. even just freshman year.
    "if you're not bearin down, i dont know whatcha doin"

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Arizona Jones View Post
    He tied with Mike Bibby at #2
    Thats right.

I find it hard to compare the two, their respective teams are quite different in ability and size.

Sao Paulo Sour Diesel Papadeuce's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

DWill was a focus even as a freshman because our second best player was Kyle Fogg. I'm fairly certain if you put AG on that team, his stats would be a bit more inflated as well.
    “São Paulo is not for amateurs.”

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Papadeuce View Post
    DWill was a focus even as a freshman because our second best player was Kyle Fogg. I'm fairly certain if you put AG on that team, his stats would be a bit more inflated as well.
    perhaps. i doubt he would still be anywhere near as efficient though.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

DWill shot 57.4% his freshman year, hard to say no to that sort of efficiency, and he was still far superior to AG from the line. AG's defense and passing are much better than Derrick's though, and he doesn't have the constant foul trouble of DW in his first year. It really is a toss up, honestly both guys were on the teams in which they were the best fit.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Flag Navy I remember...

I remember DWill as a freshman and knew(believed) he was something special and was looking forward to his 2nd year. He obviously did not disappoint. I was looking for that same jump for Brandon this year and maybe if the team was not so balanced this year you would see that in him as well. I don't think it is fair to compare DWill as a soph to Aaron as a frosh. DWill as a soph was a man among a league of boys. The balanced team we have this year is probably masking some of Aarons possible production as well. While it is nice to have a DWill as a 2nd year player dominating the floor, I personally prefer our balanced attack that we have right now. If DWill got in foul trouble, then what? We don't have that issue today (or as much of an issue I should say). Someone mentioned that it would be nice to develop another player off the bench and that would suit me fine.

There is also the issue of DWill supporting the team his last year. I think when you take that role you perform better. It is kind of like starting your own business and taking all the responsibility. All the sudden you are more productive and never get sick because you can't afford to. Aaron is still a freshman and I would like to see him come back next year and have that breakout year that DWill had. Personally, I would not go to the NBA without my degree unless I knew I would have a starting spot(or 6th man spot) on an NBA roster.

Enough of my rambling. Loving this season. Watching all the games from Ecuador.
    Tucson Sam

Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack. Sun Tzu

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

It's really hard to say. The team with DWill wasn't nearly as talented and athletic as this years team. AG isn't pressed to take over a game like DWill was at times then.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Dwill was a dominant player because he had to be. If Dwill had Brash and Zeus playing along side him his numbers would drop significantly. Dwill was great but comparing freshman season to freshman season I would take AG. He has a more well-rounded game and his D is better by far.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by jmoon View Post
    perhaps. i doubt he would still be anywhere near as efficient though.
    You sure about that? DWill didn't add a jumper until his sophomore year. So most of his shots were at the rim. DWill wasn't a one and done so he didn't need to demonstrate his ability to shoot it his freshman year. AG is. That's why he's trying to show he can shoot the ball from outside. That's why his efficiency is not as high. If he was only shooting layups, like DWill did his freshman year, then he would be equally as efficient (outside the FT woes). AG gets to the rim way easier than Derrick ever did.
    Tranny: "SimonSaysSweetNothingsInSDRBlowUpDollsAreMyFavori te'sEars"

Stairmaster: "Kane is [living with] dawgwarrior's sister"

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by ared4 View Post
    You sure about that? DWill didn't add a jumper until his sophomore year. So most of his shots were at the rim. DWill wasn't a one and done so he didn't need to demonstrate his ability to shoot it his freshman year. AG is. That's why he's trying to show he can shoot the ball from outside. That's why his efficiency is not as high. If he was only shooting layups, like DWill did his freshman year, then he would be equally as efficient (outside the FT woes). AG gets to the rim way easier than Derrick ever did.
    i think i am pretty confident in saying that, yes.

then maybe he should shoot only layups (i think it was you that pointed out in another thread, that we hope he's not trying to start to show scouts something and continues playing within himself and the offense). and even his "layups" if you want to call them that, have a tendency to be a little wild and just kinda thrown up at the rim. getting to the rim and then throwing up, what i would call, garbage, doesnt rly count for much. plus, does it rly matter how a player scores? efficiency is efficiency.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Very hard to choose.

AG wouldn't be here if we weren't a team full of studs with a chance to win it all and allow him to showcase his overall game. DWill wouldn't have been here if we weren't in total disarray at the time with, gulp, Kyle Fogg as our seasoned leader. (All the best to Kyle. I appreciate all he did for us but I think I will take Nick Johnson in that role) The difference between Hill/ Perry and Zeus/ Ashley is enormous as well. Same with TJ vs Momo as PG. Those two teams couldn't be more different. So the stats are hard to compare.

I think I'd take Gordon. He's not Mr. USA Basketball for nothing.
    Robert Wagner killed Bison Dele!

Pick Em Rank

Why not both?

Sean Miller is the coach. He could get both at the same time.

Sophomore Derrick over a Freshman Aaron if I had to choose.

surrounded by an army of 2. Which i created...
    Pick Em Rank

Default Re: Aaron Gordon vs Derrick Williams

Originally Posted by surgeon View Post
    Lots of standing around, due to isolation plays, is the name of the game in the NBA. One reason I don't watch it anymore.

DWill's game was more suited to the college game while AG's is yet to be determined. Imho.

Sent from my SCH-I110 using Tapatalk 2

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Palpalife View Post
    Lots of standing around, due to isolation plays, is the name of the game in the NBA. One reason I don't watch it anymore.

DWill's game was more suited to the college game while AG's is yet to be determined. Imho.
    Indeed. And DWill excelled in college based purely on athleticism/explosiveness - something that's nearly impossible for someone his size to do in the NBA because too many guys are bigger and stronger than him.

How he shot so well his sophomore year is a complete mystery, and at this point one kind of has to consider it a fluke rather than an indication of his talent/ability. For a while, he was actually at risk of breaking Steve Kerr's still-standing NCAA record 57.3% 3pt shooting for a season, but clearly he isn't .0000001% of the shooter that Kerr was (who, it should be noted, has 3 of the top 10 3pt shooting % seasons in NBA history).

Stereotypical Asian Guy AztecWildcat's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

As Js Esq said . In context, DWill was on some sort of season long hot streak in 3pt shooting. That being said DWill is still one of my favorite cats of all time.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

I think it has to be DWill. Guy was a monster and as much as I like Gordon, if you guys pick him you have a short memory IMO.

Desert Diamond Cardsharks Nickelback's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

It depends on which team DWill or Gordon is being added to. If you're talking about the 2010-11 team, then DWill by far because we needed someone who could dominate a game and take the big shots - particularly on the offensive end. If you're talking about our current 2013-14 team, then I'd give the edge to Gordon as he does so many little things that go unnoticed but is a big reason why our Cats are #1 and undefeated. I'm not sure that DWill would have fit in with our team chemistry this season as well as Gordon has but who knows.

No matter what, we're dealing with complete hypotheticals. Both are great players and would have been fantastic additions to any Arizona Wildcat basketball team.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Papadeuce View Post
    Absolutely! I wonder what kind of minutes DWill would have on today's roster as a freshman.
    "Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
    John Wayne

Pick Em Rank

The original question of anchoring a team is a tough one. Obviously if you start with Dwill and can put Rondae at the 3, you're in good shape. And if AG is on the 09-10 team, I think he averages 20-10 and we win roughly the same number of games.

But to me it becomes obvious if you talk about building an NBA team. I think virtually everyone projects AG as a better pro. There's a reason why. Although to be fair they are just projections, for now.
    "It's all basketball oriented," Aaron Gordon on why he chose Arizona.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

College - Derrick Williams.

Pro - Aaron Gordon. The diversity of his game - passing, handles, defense (w/o fouling) - at an even younger age than DW was to me signifies a bigger upside down the road. DW's highish TO rate, low assist rate, and mediocre defensive abilities at the time worried me a ton at the time he was drafted. People here lambasted me when I said I thought Kyrie Irving was a no brainer #1.

DW's range, offensive mindset, and ability to get to the line I thought would help him to possibly be an NBA offensive weapon (possible 20 ppg type guy). Hasn't happened - his limitations held back his PT, and now he seems to have lost a bit of his offensive swag.

AG's overall Hoops Nerd Rating this year will probably be pretty similar to DW's his frosh year - but AG's will be more on the peripheral side (assists/TO, defensive stops, higher PT on better team) than DW's (offensive potency).
    Last edited by Statman; 01-28-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: typo

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

frosh to frosh probably a slight edge to AG, DW's sophomore year to AG this year DW and its not even close. Building a team around... DW all the way.