ESPN Arizona Snippets

Pick Em Rank

Default ESPN Arizona Snippets

from Game Plan: The implications of injuries - ESPN

Arizona shrugs off Utah, moves to 20-0. Just after the Wildcats finished their 65-56 brush-off of Utah Sunday night, the Fox Sports 1 crew placed the rosters of the greatest Arizona teams of all time next to Sean Miller’s team -- Steve Kerr, Kenny Lofton, Miles Simon, Richard Jefferson and all the rest. It was a sobering comparison: On paper, this Arizona team now ranks above the greatest Wildcats teams of all time. On the floor, it’s hard to argue otherwise, something the dominant final few minutes of an otherwise so-so performance showed. (It was also, for what it’s worth, a pretty impressive performance from Utah, which continues to look miles removed from the six-win disaster of 2011-12.)

Arizona at Cal, 10:30 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Network: Before we get all crazy: Arizona still has to play at Stanford on Wednesday. It still has a back-to-back road trip to Arizona State and Utah in mid-February. It still has two dates against Oregon. And now, with those important caveats out of the way, if the Wildcats win at Cal on Saturday, it is conceivable -- not likely, not probably, barely possible, but conceivable -- they could run the regular-season table. Gird loins accordingly.

-------------------------

and from
    http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/pa...127/daily-word

3. Arizona had to dig deep to put away Utah. What impressed you most about the Wildcats' late surge?

Katz: Arizona has that second gear. The Wildcats show it against the Show at San Diego State, down big to Drexel and then against Duke in New York, at Michigan, and now throughout the Pac-12. The Wildcats' defense and ability to slip behind screens, finish around the rim and change the momentum makes this Arizona team ridiculously difficult to beat.

O'Neil: What impressed me most is that the Wildcats had the last surge. Not every team has the ability or the mental capacity to withstand that sort of punch to the gut, but Arizona proved it does. What separates the Wildcats against Utah is the same thing that has separated Arizona all season from the pack, and that's its defense. It's there for the Wildcats to call on whenever they need it and
    the ultimate difference-maker.

Medcalf: I think it's easy to look at the game and knock Arizona for struggling for most of the night against a sub-.500 Pac-12 team. But I was most impressed by Arizona's late poise. There are a lot of youngsters on that team, but Brandon Ashley, Aaron Gordon, Kaleb Tarczewski, T.J. McConnell, Nick Johnson and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson all made great plays down the stretch.

----------------------

on a personal note, i like how medcalf likes to point that whole "struggling for most of the night against a sub-.500 Pac-12 team" thing out. because even though it seemingly happens to syracuse every single game, it doesnt affect his perception of them as "america's best team." good stuff.
    Last edited by jmoon; 01-27-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    "if you're not bearin down, i dont know whatcha doin"

Pick Em Rank

Moron Medcalf....lulz to you buddy
    "I know Ms. Pac-Man is special. She's fun. She's cute. She swallows."

Pick Em Rank

who cares what Medcalf or any other sports writer thinks. this team is dangerous and everyone knows it. as long as we keep winning we shouldnt care what anyone writes.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Hellas View Post
    who cares what Medcalf or any other sports writer thinks. this team is dangerous and everyone knows it. as long as we keep winning we shouldnt care what anyone writes.
    The entire internet just collapsed.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

The most important part that all of the "expert" sports writers missed completely is, other than Nick Johnson, just about the entire rest of the Wildcat team shot poorly. This was against a team that has played excellent this season compared to it's past. This was against a team that played the best defense against the Wildcats that has been played all season. And they STILL WON! What would that score have looked like if all of our Wildcats shot their normal percentages that game?

I say to the experts this; "Before you say anything about a Wildcat game....WATCH IT! Don't base your criticisms off of five minutes you watched or three paragraphs some other unknowledgeable, biased idiot wrote!"

We, the Wildcat faithful know what's going on and how good this Wildcat team is. Apparently the rest of you won't know until they've kicked the snot out of the rest of the country!

Bear Down Wildcats!

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by titan4wildcats View Post
    The most important part that all of the "expert" sports writers missed completely is, other than Nick Johnson, just about the entire rest of the Wildcat team shot poorly. This was against a team that has played excellent this season compared to it's past. This was against a team that played the best defense against the Wildcats that has been played all season. And they STILL WON! What would that score have looked like if all of our Wildcats shot their normal percentages that game?

I say to the experts this; "Before you say anything about a Wildcat game....WATCH IT! Don't base your criticisms off of five minutes you watched or three paragraphs some other unknowledgeable, biased idiot wrote!"

We, the Wildcat faithful know what's going on and how good this Wildcat team is. Apparently the rest of you won't know until they've kicked the snot out of the rest of the country!

Bear Down Wildcats!
    Well said.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by titan4wildcats View Post

Bear Down Wildcats!
    This is so irrelevant in my book, most every team we've played this year can use this same argument....we may have not shot as well as usual but a lot of that wasn't just us, they played us more physical than most teams this year I thought. I thought they took more chances on defense than most teams and extended their defense to get their hands in more passing lanes....something was a little off with us tonight no doubt, but a lot of that has to go to them. If we are going to want all the credit for making a team play bad we have to give it as well.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

What I loved about last nights game was the intensity level that AG, RHJ and Nick stepped up too. Seriously there was a couple positions where I thought AG was so fired up he was going to blow to roof off the building. AG and RHJ went after offense rebounds like their lives depended on it, and Nick went to an entirely different level offensively. You could probably put TJ right there with those three guys in terms of intensity as well. This is not to say the other guys did not take it up a notch, but AG, RHJ and NJ were off the charts in terms of energy and focus.

The second question that was answered completely last night, is "who is going to take the big shots for AZ" Nick Johnson did not hesitate to take over the game on the offensive end, and that is really big for us!

Finally, Utah is a lot better than everyone thinks. They have been making the case all season, but their schedule was so weak nobody believed it. They will be a tough out in Utah, maybe tougher than CU at this point.

Bear Down Wildcats!!!!