Next..

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Default Next..

Predict, unfortunately 2 straight loses at Utah and Colorado, unless we shoot at or above 40% FG or hit at Lear 60% from freethrows.

sadly our horrid shooting has set an alarming trend over the past 6+ games (exception OSU).

utah and Colorado have often proved to be difficult shooting venues for almost anyone and this coming week is no exception. What's troubling is that expectations would be completely different had we showed even a mediocre offensive game.

but instead we've demonstrated unequivocally that shooting above 40% is more an anomaly than the norm.

I'm not saying we can't win both games, but for the first time this season, I feel like we won't especially at venues coming up, where teams struggle to shoot well (air thinness?)

id ilike to here your opinions. How does this offense and freethrow shooting improve?

Ill stand and by the fact we will continue playing outstanding defense, but unless our offense can be found, forget about it.

Pick Em Rank

I think we get a split at CO-UT and at OR-OSU. We finish 27-4 in the regular season and go to the PAC-12 title game. We're either 30-4 or 29-5. We secure a 2 Seed and go to the Elite 8. Our shooting woes from the field and stripe will prove to be our demise. Defense can't do it all

Pick Em Rank

if we dont win the regular season chip, i will proclaim an utter failure. even with the loss of ashley.
    "if you're not bearin down, i dont know whatcha doin"

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

If our offense continues to be the garbage it's been, I see us lose remaining of our road games and early exit in PAC-12. We will be a 3-5 seed at best.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    I think we get a split at CO-UT and at OR-OSU. We finish 27-4 in the regular season and go to the PAC-12 title game. We're either 30-4 or 29-5. We secure a 2 Seed and go to the Elite 8. Our shooting woes from the field and stripe will prove to be our demise. Defense can't do it all
    At 27-4, with being near the top in rankings like the BPI, KenPom, Sagarin, etc...I would be very disappointed if Arizona fell to a 2 seed.

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 View Post
    At 27-4, with being near the top in rankings like the BPI, KenPom, Sagarin, etc...I would be very disappointed if Arizona fell to a 2 seed.
    that would give us 6-4 in our last 10 games though, which i believe they take into consideration as well?
    "if you're not bearin down, i dont know whatcha doin"

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by moosety2008 View Post
    If our offense continues to be the garbage it's been, I see us lose remaining of our road games and early exit in PAC-12. We will be a 3-5 seed at best.
    Is the inverse true? Or is it just all doom and gloom?

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by Esq View Post
    Is the inverse true? Or is it just all doom and gloom?
    Hence if. But no the inverse is not true if we continue to be a poor offensive team. Great defense and poor offense makes a team average. Being average won't cut it in this years PAC-12 if u want to be the "top" team.

we need to be at least a good team. The good news is we are outstanding defensively, but we need our offense to go from poor to average. If we do that then we will be a good team, and good is enough to win the PAC-12.

if we want to win an NCAA championship then we need to be a good not great offensive team. Great defense and good offense will put u in the national title game.

we have a lot of work to do going from poor to good on offense. But if we just shoot 65% or above from the freethrow line it will bump us up to the Average category. Shoot at 45% from the field and we go up to being a food offensive team. It's not unrealistic for us to be a 65% freethrow shootimg and 45% FG making team moving forward.

if we can be a 35% 3pt shooting team, now all of a sudden we get back to being a title contender instead of this floor Matt pretender we've been playing like

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

The Wildcats are losing because they haven't been able to hit the barn with a rock. Will they keep losing? Not if they get back on track offensively. The problem lies in how they go about improving the shooting...the 2's...the 3's...and the free throws. If they try to improve by trying a lot harder to make those shots, then it's possible they will lose most of the games remaining on the schedule. If they try by getting on the court after practice and have some fun together shooting and running some little two and three man sets, it's possible we could see the return of the team that most everyone in the country thought could win the NC.

I think the problem that caused all of this is two-fold. First the pressure of having to play as good as they did/have. Second, caused by the first, was concentrating on trying so hard to please instead of playing...doing what they do so well...AND ENJOYING IT. When you're good at something you like to do it's a bunch of feel good doing it. When you're doing what you enjoy but you get worried about not pleasing and impressing all the people who root for you and those who may offer you big bucks to do it for them, you start struggling to do it as well as you can.

That's the mind cluttering garbage that comes with doing something good that can lead to making a lot of money. They need to get back to enjoying the game, playing together as a team and stop worrying about the scouts, the fans, the relatives. They need to get back to balling. Go out to a high school court and get a good game on. They've got enough players for two teams. Go have some fun. Just take care not to go to extremes and get hurt. They need to get their GAME back. JMO

Bear Down Wildcats!

Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by Statfreak101 View Post
    So would I, that's why winning the PAC12 would be crucial. If we're 29-5 I think that puts us on the 1 seed bubble with the committee recognizing we have big time offensive woes and haven't played well down the stretch. Like a prize fight when the judges are heavily influenced by how the last 30 seconds of a round are fought (Sugar Ray Leonard was the master - he'd get his ass kicked for 2:30 and win the round with a flurry) - the opposite may hold true. Let's hope we finish strong and don't give them that consideration.

Right now every PAC12 coach is probably planning a hack-a-gordon strategy to put him on the line as much as possible, especially with the game on the line

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Not calling the TO made zero sense. Double OT, the kids are tired, gotta give them a break, get their heads straight and set up play to shoot , get fouled perhaps and let the chips fall where they may. Inexcusable by Coach Miller. Mind boggling.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by zellerware View Post
    Not calling the TO made zero sense. Double OT, the kids are tired, gotta give them a break, get their heads straight and set up play to shoot , get fouled perhaps and let the chips fall where they may. Inexcusable by Coach Miller. Mind boggling.
    If you call a TO you allow the defense to get set. With 10 seconds left I would rather play straight up than give the defense an opportunity to talk about how they would plan to stop us. With poor shooting as it is, I think they had a better shot at making something happen than running a set play (seeing how it didn't work at the end of the first ot)

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Who gives a **** about the number one seed? All that matters is getting the game sites in Southern California. After the round of 64, there's no appreciable difference in the quality of opponents on any given mid-range seed line. Whether you're playing a 6 or a 9, it's all about how the teams match up. Parity's a bitch.

Edit - And let's not forget that the Cats haven't made it to the Final Four as a 1 since 1988.

Desert Diamond Cardsharks Nickelback's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Originally Posted by JS Esq. View Post
    Who gives a **** about the number one seed? All that matters is getting the game sites in Southern California. After the round of 64, there's no appreciable difference in the quality of opponents on any given mid-range seed line. Whether you're playing a 6 or a 9, it's all about how the teams match up. Parity's a bitch.

Edit - And let's not forget that the Cats haven't made it to the Final Four as a 1 since 1988.

Your argument doesn't make a lot of sense when you consider that a 1 seed would guarantee us a spot in the West while any other seed could be a tossup. The 1 seed does in fact matter a lot.

Pick Em Rank

I believe they can take injuries into account when determining seeding...this may bump us to a 2 seed if they say, "well they were undefeated with Ashley healthy and now he's out and they've lost 4 or 5 out of 10"

I really couldn't blame them for thinking that either. My own personal thinking is with Ashley we are a top 2 team (us or Syracuse as best in college basketball) but without him we are a top 15 team or even top 20.

That being said...don't forget we beat Duke on a neutral court, SDSU at their place and Mich at their place. That deserves major points whether we have an injury or not....you have to reward us for that.

My hope would be to see us as a 2 seed in the West...this would put a chip on our shoulder and would make us the "underdog" if meeting up with a 1 seed in the elite 8 which I like.

If we are a 1 seed I will be happy just to have another notch towards our return to greatness. We won't win the national title and at best 3 1 seeds end up with nothing at the end of the year (possibly a final 4 I guess) but it is cool to be a 1 seed.

2012 Angler of the Year revodog11's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Can't believe people are actually worried about seeding!
    We can't score so seeding doesn't matter.
    The secret to success is knowing who to blame for your failures

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

We can't beat ASSU, seeding should be the least of our worries.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Okay....show of hands. How many think the Wildcats can't start making shots and scoring like they did at the beginning of the season? I don't see any hands. Great!

Bear Down Wildcats!

RawDoggy Style IT'S MILLER TIME's Avatar
    Pick Em Rank

Really need Nick and Gabe to start hitting some shots with consistency, the defense is still great and the rest of team seems to be doing pretty good in their role, just need a couple scorers to step up.

Pick Em Rank

We need to all just relax a little. Some of you are acting like we've never lost a game before.

Think about how very easily we could be 25-0 right now... I would be a little worried if we were getting blown out, but losing two road games vs. tourney-bound teams by a combined total of 5 points with controversial endings in both games is not something to panic about.

Sure, we are shooting horribly, but our defense will keep us in every single game we play this year. Even in the tourney. The only team that has been perfect is Syracuse (not counting Cupcake St.) and that took a 33 foot desperation three pointer, some close OT wins and a miracle steal and lay-in AT HOME vs. a mediocre NCST team.

My point is, every team in the nation has its flaws right now and there is not one team I look at and think "Oh boy, they would absolutely kill us" EVEN with the way we are playing right now. The bottom line is we will need to improve offensively to win a national title, but not by as much as you guys are making it out to be. This team can still compete with ANYONE in the nation on a neutral court. Believe that.
    AIR GORDON

Pick Em Rank

40% seems to be such a key number, right?

We were at 57% pretty deep into the season. Averaging 57% as a team. Now, our goal of hitting 40% from the field, which really isn't a difficult mark to hit, is seemingly all we really need to do to keep winning. 40% from the field, with this defense, we win. We win ugly but we win. Getting FT's at 60% or better as a team and we're basically unbeatable - with this defense.

Those marks can't be so unattainable all of a sudden. Offense isn't going to get easier on the road with the crowds that are to be expected. This should prepare us for a neutral court vs a non conference opponent, right?

We're currently 3ish weeks away from the PAC 12 tournament. 4ish weeks from the NCAA tourney. 3 weeks ago we had just worked over Colorado (although had a bad last 10 minutes). 4 weeks ago we routed ASU by 23 (should be 30). It's amazing what can happen in that time. It's absolutely enough time to turn it around and start hitting those basic offensive marks. Our players are really just too good to believe they wont make this work.

Pick Em Rank

Yes! Sting and Esq!

Your posts were like a cool drink of water on a hot day. Refreshing.
    I always think we're gonna' win

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Completely agree with you Deb...about agreeing with Sting and ESQ. We just need to get over the mid/late season hump and get back to of making points and having some fun.

Bear Down Wildcats!

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

The boys clear their heads this week and play hungry. We lose to Oregon only and still win the PAC. We put the bench in to play the PAC tourney for experience and get our starters some rest before the big dance. 3 losses going in and we are still able to beat any team in the nation on any given night and every team in the nation knows this.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Some of you act like losing to ASU is some sort of significant, resume damaging loss. Obviously losing to ASU is never fun and easy to swallow, but they are the 30th best team according to KenPom, are a top 30 RPI team by most accounts, and have lost only once at home this entire season. This loss, like the Cal loss, does not negatively affect Arizona's resume at all; the only thing it has done is make the Pac-12 race a bit more interesting.

Like Arizona, UCLA has a difficult schedule remaining; 4 of their last 6 on the road, including traveling to the Bay Area schools this weekend. If Arizona can split this weekend, which is about what we can hope for at this point given the recent offensive struggles, I'd be shocked if Arizona isn't still sitting in first place at this time next week with 4 conference games remaining.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Let's just hope this loss to ASU once and for all shot the crud out of the players system. We just need to be above a 40% FG shooting team and play the same defense we've been playing. Anything above 40% FG, 30% 3pt and 60% freethrows is gravey.

Nick cant ant continue shooting 15% from the field and 8% from 3pt range.

Pick Em Rank

My biggest concerns are what Wize has already pointed out. Teams will lock down on Nick; leave Gordon and Rondae open on the wings - because the wont/cant hit from the strip on out; swarm and strip Zues every time we get the ball inside (see ASU) thus forcing TJ, York and Pitts to beat them.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Further, most teams can't do what ASU did as effectively. According to kenpom, they have a top 20 defense as well, and have made a few teams look foolish so far.

It's all going to be a crapshoot. If someone gets hot in the tourney, we win the whole thing.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

Originally Posted by ibsulon View Post
    Further, most teams can't do what ASU did as effectively. According to kenpom, they have a top 20 defense as well, and have made a few teams look foolish so far.

It's all going to be a crapshoot. If someone gets hot in the tourney, we win the whole thing.
    It's not as much ASU, but their guy in the middle. He's a defensive stud, mediocre/poor perimeter defenders like Jahii - when their flop attempt to get a charge call doesn't work - can trust the Bachynski to alter/block the shot.

They did this against Arizona - but even moreso, almost EVERYONE lagging way off into the paint area, making the dribble drive difficult &/or dangerous (charge calls).

But, everyone seems to ignore the massive positive impact their center has on a game (Jahii is ALWAYS credited for anything positive about that team). Rim protector and easily their best rebounder, and he's not a complete stiff in the O post either. He's EASILY (imo) the most valuable Sun Devil - my eyes see it, my metrics say it - and they'd be a complete mess without him (defense, rebounding, offensive post). He's old as dirt too, which helps his game - old man strength.

Good thing is, Arizona will NOT be facing post defenders of his quality 90% of their remaining games.

Pick Em Rank
    N/A

ASU shot 42 2-pt attempts against us. We blocked 2, which equates to 4.8% of their 2-pt shots, meaning that 95.2% of their 2-pt attempts had the chance to go in.

Arizona shot 48 2-pt attempts against ASU. Bachynski alone blocked 8, or 16.7% of the Cats' 2-pt shots, meaning that only 83.7% of the Cats' 2-pt shots made it past their center. Add in McKissic's block, and we're down to 82.2% even getting near the rim. Difficult to win when 1 in 5 gets sent back in your face.