Just had dinner with my dad (a UofA Alum), and a few of his clients, all of which are UCLA alum and diehard UCLA basketball fans. Heres a summary of their opinions from tonight:
- Said they never have seen a college basketball atmosphere like ours tonight. The students in the zoo were wild as could be and the entirety of McKale blew them away. One said that a few of the freshman were prob wondering why they didnt come to a school with an atmosphere like ours
- Said UCLA needs to be more like us. complaining about their student section and fans just not being in the game. that the environment is quiet and the students just dont care. the way their student section is separated hurts them too
- They were blown away at the fact that we can sell out a Red Blue game faster than they can sell out a regular season game. Said a huge part of it was due to the fact that our NBA players keep coming back, and they feel differently about UCLA NBA players.
- They expected more out of lyons, not realizing that he was a 2 at Xavier and not a true PG, but completely impressed with NJ, KP, and Solo. Said NJ is a really special player with his hops and everything, and Solo just gets to the rim too easily. Decently impressed with Brash and agreed about Grant taking too many 3's.
- The felt like we should have won, but obviously couldnt score when it mattered. Said they were impressed with Shabbaz, and almost felt he feeds off of the spotlight - the heckling, the bright ESPN lights, the top 10 team, etc.
- They're not fans of bruinsnation.com. One of my dads friends asked me what the best AZ website is, and obviously said Point Guard U... he said UCLA has nothing like what PGU is. Went on to talk about why PGU is so successful with the kind of information they deliver.
- Other stories were shared, but I'll keep those private as IDK how much of that stuff is public knowledge or not.
Just thought I'd bring some good thoughts about our game to take away from the scoreboard.